TPC: Can you get your cert, then do more subjects the following year? (1 Viewer)

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Hi

I'm currently doing my TPC, and by the end of this year, I will have completed enough subjects (and B modules) to get my certificate (and I WILL apply for my cert). But I would like to "add on" more subjects next year (Foundation Mathematics and Calculus). Is that possible, and will my TES still be calculated using my best B module results from THIS year?

(if anyone is going to ask "why would you want to do that?" - read on... if not, don't read on!) :p

Ideally I want to do Vet Science at uni, but they do not accept TPC students - you must do 1yr of a different degree and then transfer. So, in 2010 I will start a degree (which does not require maths- something like Arts or Humanities), get kickass results in that whilst simultaneously finishing my TPC maths at Ultimo TAFE in the evening. Then, at the end of 2010, I will apply for Vet Science, using my new uni results (from the 1yr of my Arts/Humanities degree) and on the basis that I have "done" 2 unit maths via the TPC.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Hi

I'm currently doing my TPC, and by the end of this year, I will have completed enough subjects (and B modules) to get my certificate (and I WILL apply for my cert). But I would like to "add on" more subjects next year (Foundation Mathematics and Calculus). Is that possible, and will my TES still be calculated using my best B module results from THIS year?

(if anyone is going to ask "why would you want to do that?" - read on... if not, don't read on!) :p

Ideally I want to do Vet Science at uni, but they do not accept TPC students - you must do 1yr of a different degree and then transfer. So, in 2010 I will start a degree (which does not require maths- something like Arts or Humanities), get kickass results in that whilst simultaneously finishing my TPC maths at Ultimo TAFE in the evening. Then, at the end of 2010, I will apply for Vet Science, using my new uni results (from the 1yr of my Arts/Humanities degree) and on the basis that I have "done" 2 unit maths via the TPC.
Interesting question...I would talk to your unit co-ordinator. I would think that once you apply to graduate the TPC, no more courses can be done. Could you try doing maths bridging courses at uni or choose maths courses as your arts electives? Or enter the arts course through a STAT test and apply to graduate TAFE at the end of next year?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
It's not exactly that easy to get good marks in humanities at uni. At least with science there is usually a right or wrong answer and so you can walk out of an exam and know how you went straight away. With humanities it really is up to your lecturer to pick apart your argument and believe me, they do. Does your undergrad degree count in terms of relevance or just marks to get into Vet?

Since you are female (according to your details) - CQU offer free prep courses in science, maths and study skills for women interested in science and technology (done by distance). They may be deemed equivalent?
CQUniversity Student Handbook

Otherwise, there are uni level maths subjects available through Open Uni's with no entry requirements. Heck you can do RMIT's Bachelor of Applied Science in Bioscience through Open Uni's - if you are game you can knock it over in 1.5 years (depending on pre-requisites).
https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/.../Qualification_Data/RMI_SCI_DEG&WT.ti=Science (Applied Sciences), Bachelor of

Also, New England Institute of TAFE, from memory, do a Vet Nursing and/or Animal Studies certificate II or III, can't remember, by distance.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Yep, I can also vouch for the humanities not necessarily being "easy". If you're good at constructing an argument, sure essays will be ok to do - but some of the concepts you learn can be quite abstract and hard to grasp. And if you get a harsh marker...

A year in a science undergrad may give you a basic understanding that can be beneficial to Vet science. This may be anecdotal of me to say, but a lot of my friends in science degrees get more HD's than myself and my arts friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)