Trails/SC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lufa

HSC
im wondering id our trails alot harder the n our SC i heard that for math in trails ,for the people who is in the top class does a drifferent math test to compare to the bottom class is that true and how hard is extensiion one and is there a test u have to do to get in it/ can i please also have some nots on poplulation and trends

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Lufa said:
im wondering id our trails alot harder the n our SC i heard that for math in trails ,for the people who is in the top class does a drifferent math test to compare to the bottom class is that true and how hard is extensiion one and is there a test u have to do to get in it/ can i please also have some nots on poplulation and trends
You need to seriously edit your grammar Lufa. Yes our trials are a lot harder in comparison to the SC. I'm in the top 5.3 maths class and no, we don't do a different test. There is a 5.2 exam which we sit for, a bit advantageous for us to other classes. Sorry I've had no experience with extension 1, I can't really answer that, even though I'm doing it next year :). But if your in the top maths class, it shouldn't be a worry to do it.

Maths School Certificate Papers -

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/sc_mathematics.html

Notes on population and trends? Is this Geography? Go to the notes section.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
They wouldn't have two different math exams because when you guys actually sit for the SC exams - everyone will be doing the same test. If you're currently in the intermediate or standard math classes - you will most likely not be allowed or asked to do a test but if you're in adv then there should be no problem whatsoever. If you're not doing adv math - do not even consider doing ext math.

Agree with Razizi - Improve language. :)

I've said this about a billion times but SC does not mean a thing. Just enjoy this time. :D

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
This is going by my experience.

I don't know about the other subjects, but I think for Maths that the trials were harder than the actual exam. I forgot my marks, but I scored higher in the real one. Of course there could be other factors, like having more time to study or from the trials, we had a taste of what it was like so we were able to improve. We all had the same test, Advanced, Intermediate and Standard.

To get into Extension 1 Maths, I guess you have to do well in Advanced Maths, not just cope. My Maths teacher said you should be getting 90's in Advanced or Mathematics 2 Unit, your teacher should tell you if they think you will be able to do it. There is a big difference between 2 Unit and Extension 1. 2 Unit only tests your ability to remember formulas. Extension 1 tests your ability to use your formulas, sometimes it is hard to recognise what you need to use. It's about practise, if you do heaps, you'll recognise it and know what to do quickly. Time is very limited in Extension 1. There isn't usually enough time to check your answers and sometimes even just finishing the exam is hard. I think it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad doing it without the time limit. There's no pressure from tests you always get and there's no pressure for time.
That's about it I guess. You can always try it and drop down to 2 Unit if you find it too hard. 2 Unit feels easy if you're doing Extension 1 so even if you drop it, your 2 Unit mark should be good so it's alright. Our teachers give harder versions of 2 Unit in Extension 1 which can appear in 2 Unit assessments and exams.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Extension 1 tests your ability to use your formulas. T
It challenges you in many ways, not just how to use the formulas given. It requires you to think outside the box to solve some of your problems, and some of the Permutation & Combination, and Parametric questions are just unbelievably hard :S

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
I've only done Preliminary so I don't know what that is xD
Think outside the box is exactly what my Maths teacher said! She's said it a few times, always after an assessment or exam. A question seems hard to us when we do it, then she does it easily and says we need to think outside the box. I always feel bad after that, it seems so easy when she does it.

Kujah, I noticed your profile, you're in Year 11 but you're doing 4 Unit Maths. How? Are you accelerating or something? I thought Extension 2 was HSC only?

Last edited:

Lufa

HSC
thanks guys so the part where all the student do the same maths test applies to every school

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
I think it applies to every school.
In the real one, everyone gets the same exam, whether you are doing Advanced, Intermediate or Standard. The trials is supposed to be a practise so you have a feel of what it is like. It wouldn't make sense to make it work differently to the real one. It is like basic skills, so they are able to make the same test for everyone.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ahhliss said:
Kujah, I noticed your profile, you're in Year 11 but you're doing 4 Unit Maths. How? Are you accelerating or something? I thought Extension 2 was HSC only?
I think Kevin has his year 12 subjects listed in his profile now. :)

Lufa said:
thanks guys so the part where all the student do the same maths test applies to every school
I believe so. It would be completely pointless to make separate tests for those students in the intermidiate and standard classes for your trials because when they sit for the actual SC - they'll be struck with something a bit different.

It may be different in some schools however, most of the schools i know of - do not have separate tests.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
The SC maths exam is one of the easiest exams I've had the pleasure of doing.

2 Unit in Years 11 and 12 is no walk in the park, to be honest. It isn't as easy as you may think. Ext 1 is undoubtedly harder, though. And Ext 2 obviously more so.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Fish Sauce said:
The SC maths exam is one of the easiest exams I've had the pleasure of doing.
LOL. YES.

Don't study for this and you can still ace it. :D

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
How hard does 2 Unit get? So far, a lot of people are getting in the 90's. Is it just my school making it easy or is that supposed to happen in Preliminary? I've been told that to do reasonably well in Extension 1, you need to be getting at least 90's in 2 Unit.

Last edited:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ahhliss said:
I've been told that to do reasonably well in Extension 1, you need to be getting at least 90's in 2 Unit.
Yeah, that's true.

I did Adv math in year 11 and after i did quadratic functions - i wanted to choke myself but my mum said that it wouldnt be a very good idea so i dropped to general.

Math is just practice, practice and practice.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't it be hard to drop to General? I thought the work was different. By Advanced do you mean 2 Unit or Extension 1?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
2u is advanced. :)

General is incrediby easy. I was in the advanced math classes all the way up to year 11, so the general work done in the prelim year i had already done in yrs 9/10. I was lucky because i really shouldn't have been allowed to drop as i dropped at the end of term 4. :D

I'm glad i did drop....i would've failed otherwise :eek:

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Ooh. I thought it would be new work so when you dropped, you would have missed work. It's weird they do work you've done in years 9 and 10 though.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Dropping maths completely was the best decision I ever made. Whoo hoo yeah no maths! You should totally follow my lead guys.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ahhliss said:
Ooh. I thought it would be new work so when you dropped, you would have missed work. It's weird they do work you've done in years 9 and 10 though.
Well, i had done it all before. Those who are in standard and intermediate might find it to be 'new' work, although i cant be sure as i've never seen the work that done in intermediate or standard.

Last edited:

Lufa

HSC
lol thanks i would of study like the 5.3 stuff hmm that wired im so stuip i tried the online test for maths i only get around 60-70% hope i do better in the real test hmm guys i got a quick question about math

A=(5,3) b=(-1,7) c=(2,6)

find

the equation of ab and bc
If point (k,3) is on the line ab, find the valve of k

and to find the perimeter you just need to find the distance of the 3 lines and add it up right?
BTW its a triangle

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It's the School Certificate. The final year of easy work. Don't get too stressed out over it. It's all easy. My only advice is to sort out your grammar. No offense, it's one of the worst I have ever come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)