Train fares to rise (Sydney) (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
THE cost of catching a train in Sydney is rising again, with ticket prices to increase by an average of 5.9 per cent in just over a fortnight's time.

The increase, recommended by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART), is about twice the rate of inflation and is the second fare rise in less than 18 months.

Single journeys will increase by 20 cents for trips up to 35km, 40 cents for those up to 75km, 60 cents for up to 175km and $1 for those any longer.

Weekly rail tickets would also increase by $2 for journeys up to 35km and $3 for longer trips.

IPART chief executive Jim Cox said reliability and punctuality on the service had improved over the past two to three years.

But he did note that CityRail had an issue with overcrowding.

"People don't like paying more for anything," Mr Cox said.

"I think that commuters will think that this is a very modest increase. They would rather not pay it, but in the circumstances I think they will accept it is not unreasonable."

The IPART report said the decision should not affect affordability, with the average household income of people who catch trains at $100,000, above the state household average of $71,658.

NSW Transport Minister John Watkins said it was a "reasonable increase" that helped meet the increased cost of running CityRail, while keeping a balance between the "fare box and the ratepayer".

At present, 23 per cent of CityRail's funding comes from fares, with the rest being paid for by taxpayers.

The minister also said the average fare increase of twice the inflation rate was due to fares running below inflation for many years.

"Since 2001, RailCorp's costs have been running at about one per cent above inflation," Mr Watkins said.

"Since that time, train fares have increased at 1.4 per cent below inflation ... that's why this balance between the fare box and the taxpayer, many of whom who never use the RailCorp services, has to be maintained at a reasonable level."

Commuter group Action for Public Transport (APT) said the fare increases meant rail travellers would now pay more for an "indifferent service".

APT spokesman Allan Miles said the fare rise would only irritate passengers.

"The fare increases may not be large, but some people will be hurt," Mr Miles said.

"Part-time workers who cannot buy weekly tickets and other low-wage earners may have to decide whether it is worth going to work or not."

Opposition transport spokeswoman Gladys Berejiklian said commuters had every right to be angry about the increase.

"CityRail's performance is still lacking. On-time running figures show CityRail has failed to meet 85 per cent of its PM peak on-time running targets since January," she said.

She said it was no surprise fewer people were using CityRail services today, compared to seven years ago.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22647577-5001028,00.html

:burn:

lala2

Banned
HSC
I wonder if this may lead to fare evasion for people who commute near the distance limits, e.g. commute 36km. In the event that the destination station has a ticket barrier, they may simply drive to the next station which is within the 35km limit, buy a weekly there, and then commute to their original station for the rest of the week.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hm well a 3 dollar increase for weeklies doesnt sound like much but it'll add up...

so wait, that also means a return ticket is gonna cost me like $7.60 now. you've gotta be kidding :( or does it only apply to singles...no that wouldn't make sense. damn it.

damn shittyrail.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ugh. Why? What's the justification? They want people off the roads - LET'S RAISE THE FARE FOR A PERSON TAKING THE TRAIN!

I hope that lady who started up the "let's not pay" thing last time does it again. Bah! I'm writing a letter.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
This is why you buy a flexipass. Prepaid for the whole semester, so you can sidestep any fare increases.

I'm actually pretty happy with CityRail's service. My trains run on time, I almost always get a seat, the carriages are clean and the seats are reasonably comfy. (I take intercity trains, though: I pity you poor fools who take dirty suburban trains.)

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Good idea, those FlexiPasses. I might do that then.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Triangulum said:
This is why you buy a flexipass. Prepaid for the whole semester, so you can sidestep any fare increases.

I'm actually pretty happy with CityRail's service. My trains run on time, I almost always get a seat, the carriages are clean and the seats are reasonably comfy. (I take intercity trains, though: I pity you poor fools who take dirty suburban trains.)
you make living on the outer fringes of nowhere sound almost appealing with that train description, lol.

although i always get a seat anyway coz my station is the end of the line = empty.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
hm well a 3 dollar increase for weeklies doesnt sound like much but it'll add up...

so wait, that also means a return ticket is gonna cost me like $7.60 now. you've gotta be kidding :( or does it only apply to singles...no that wouldn't make sense. damn it.

damn shittyrail.
I think for a return the increase would double, or at least come close. Hey they have just got some americans for 20mil to come and fix our rail. The need the money from somewhere

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well i can afford it but that isn't the point is it. if fares are going up then the service should be improving notably and it isn't.
in conclusion this is gay and we should be learning from the example of other rail systems eg japan. cityrail has had it. although to be fair, it isn't totally awful.

akrinis

HSC
My friends and I went to the movies at Parramatta yesterday, and we had to take a bus to Granville first. Then we bought single tickets [my idea, I thought it was going to be cheaper, I was silly] to Parra.

On the way back, we bought single tickets home and the cost was $1.90!! Back when the rise wasn't in place, we only had to fork out $2.60 for a RETURN ticket to Parramatta. I'm guessing a return ticket now is about $3.80!! What a rip off! :burn:

I HATE Cityrail! On weekends, Platform 2 of Cabramatta AND Fairfield have almost ZERO customer service. The ticket counter is closed, so if you need help you can't even ask for it! When you're at Fairfield, you won't have a clue when the next train's coming unless you cross the bridge over to Platform 1, but then you risk losing the train on Platform 2 if it happens to arrive.

And sometimes, the train comes but it doesn't even ANNOUNCE on the speakers where it's going.

You know, I even personally took the time to write a COMPLAINT to them and then what do I get? An automatic message telling me I'll have a reply in 5 days. Did I ever hear from them? BULLSHIT.

Last edited:

bigb0yjames

HSC
thats what fucking happens when you vote labor your dip shit.

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Eurgh.
If the quality of service increased, sure.
But... Eurgh.
Oh and they want to change the limits for full trains too apparently... Currently their target is ~5% trains being packed (i.e. no seats) but they want to increase that to ~20% being full.. How? Less train services?
Ugh.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
was this already applied?

I mean, I was like buying some return ticket to city and it costs me like 4.80 for student ticket.

I thought it was like high 3 dollars...

meh,

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My fare increased 13% a few days ago. I'm not sure how they can justify a 3x inflation increase.

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
akrinis said:
On the way back, we bought single tickets home and the cost was $1.90!! Back when the rise wasn't in place, we only had to fork out $2.60 for a RETURN ticket to Parramatta. I'm guessing a return ticket now is about $3.80!! What a rip off! :burn:
No, you're wrong.

Off-peak returns are, and have always been cheaper than two singles (or a peak return).

This isn't a rip-off, these fare increases are reasonable. According to the IPART report, the government funds 71.5% of the cost of running train services.

Don't whinge about the 28.5% that you're asked to pay.

bigb0yjames

HSC
no. the government does fund shit. my daddy's tax dollars fund that 71.5% of costs as well.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thank you Cityrail and NSW Government for increasing fares for riding in cramped, hot, herpes-ridden trains.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sinophile said:
Thank you Cityrail and NSW Government for increasing fares for riding in cramped, hot, herpes-ridden trains.
agreed. I nearly died on my way to city.

Thank god that the guy who sat next to me was not sweating.

spiny norman

HSC
akrinis said:
My friends and I went to the movies at Parramatta yesterday
Hey, I work there, and worked yesterday. What did you see?

Oh, and I caught the train to work. I noticed the return train trip cost me $4.40, where it previously had been $4.20. That's my bit for being on-topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)