traineeship vs full-time uni (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
I’m trying to decide on whether to not to pursue the traineeships and to go back to uni full-time next year and in the meantime have a couple of casual jobs and a few volunteering commitments OR really gun for them and [if successful] do uni part-time [of course I’d have little time for my casual job and probably no time at all for volunteering]. I’m just trying to make sure that there aren’t things that I haven’t considered/thought about in depth.

So basically:

- I’m finally getting more shifts at work [I have 4 next week]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Increased responsibilities = More experience = More pay
- I have two interviews for traineeships in a wealth management firm and an insurance law firm [also next week]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They pay reasonably good money – approx. $320 pw
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They are both industries that I’m interested in working for [so theoretically better in the long run]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]The firms are large and well-established
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]It’s full-time work [both are around 37-38 hours]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They probably want a long-term commitment past 12 months [and someone who wants to make a career of administration which is something that I don’t really want in the long run]
- I currently volunteer and I find that I like these jobs better than my paid work
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]The causes of each organization differ, but they are all ones that I feel strongly for
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I don’t get paid but I don’t care because I enjoy what I’m doing
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They’re good for resume building and references
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I enjoy them more than I do my paid work
- I am going to transfer to a 5-year degree when I go back to uni
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Fucked if I’m going to be at uni for ten years part-time
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Graduates earn more on average
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I want to go on exchange for a year [possible threat to job stability?]
Are there any other things I should consider?

Thanks in advance

spence

HSC
I’m trying to decide on whether to not to pursue the traineeships and to go back to uni full-time next year and in the meantime have a couple of casual jobs and a few volunteering commitments OR really gun for them and [if successful] do uni part-time [of course I’d have little time for my casual job and probably no time at all for volunteering]. I’m just trying to make sure that there aren’t things that I haven’t considered/thought about in depth.

So basically:

- I’m finally getting more shifts at work [I have 4 next week]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Increased responsibilities = More experience = More pay
- I have two interviews for traineeships in a wealth management firm and an insurance law firm [also next week]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They pay reasonably good money – approx. $320 pw
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They are both industries that I’m interested in working for [so theoretically better in the long run]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]The firms are large and well-established
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]It’s full-time work [both are around 37-38 hours]
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They probably want a long-term commitment past 12 months [and someone who wants to make a career of administration which is something that I don’t really want in the long run]
- I currently volunteer and I find that I like these jobs better than my paid work
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]The causes of each organization differ, but they are all ones that I feel strongly for
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I don’t get paid but I don’t care because I enjoy what I’m doing
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]They’re good for resume building and references
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I enjoy them more than I do my paid work
- I am going to transfer to a 5-year degree when I go back to uni
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Fucked if I’m going to be at uni for ten years part-time
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Graduates earn more on average
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]I want to go on exchange for a year [possible threat to job stability?]
Are there any other things I should consider?

Thanks in advance
How is that good money for full time work?

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
How is that good money for full time work?
i thought it was pretty good considering i only just got into the workforce in mid-february. oh well, the more you know. what's good money then?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
More than $8.50 an hour is a good start
It's not that bad if it's a leading firm/company which you would be fighting hard for a grad job at upon graduation... but there are probably better opportunities out there if you aren't worried about job prospects in the future. The only reason I would take it is if they offered a lot of flexibility with my uni studies (having a FT job with consistent hours during uni is actually a good thing and looks good on your CV) and also offers good opportunities in the future either through a lot of good training or because they offer kickass grad jobs.

MissedThePoint

HSC
For a Traineeship, $8.50 is pretty common. I know someone who was on around $7 when he first started.

I think it depends whether the industry and career you want to get into requires a university qualification. I think the traineeship path is much more beneficial in a lot of cases, as you're
1) getting paid, thus able to live
2) have set hours unlike a casual job
3) usually end up with some form of qual anyway, like a Cert whatever
4) gain real-world experience

Ideally, you could do the traineeship full time and uni part time, but ten years is rough. Do a shorter course?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed ten years is long. The cadetship/traineeship path is good if you are interested or see value in the employer but without that, a lot of the incentive is gone. If you wanted bigger bucks and a near full time job (or an actual full time job) whilst studying, the money is in data entry, imaging (i.e. scanning and giving filenames), etc... However these obviously won't teach you that much compared to the traineeship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)