Transfer BEco@Usyd to BCom@UNSW (1 Viewer)

d0mokun

HSC
I'm starting B.Eco at USYD this yr (Didn't make it to B.Eco or B.com in UNSW) and chose to major in either Financial Economics or in Economics, in addition to Finance.
I want to transfer to B.Com in UNSW for 2013, however will I get credit for what I do this year? I don't want to have to be in first year all over again...
Plus I want to graduate within 3 years(I guess I could do summer school if it'd take longer than 3 years) and do my honours later on and try obtain employment in the financial sector.
And how many do you think I'll get credit for?

The core units at USYD for B.Eco are:

ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics
ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics
ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
ECMT1020 Business and Economics Statistics B
(24 Credit Points)

miaowsha

HSC
I'm starting B.Eco at USYD this yr (Didn't make it to B.Eco or B.com in UNSW) and chose to major in either Financial Economics or in Economics, in addition to Finance.
I want to transfer to B.Com in UNSW for 2013, however will I get credit for what I do this year? I don't want to have to be in first year all over again...
Plus I want to graduate within 3 years(I guess I could do summer school if it'd take longer than 3 years) and do my honours later on and try obtain employment in the financial sector.
And how many do you think I'll get credit for?

The core units at USYD for B.Eco are:

ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics
ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics
ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
ECMT1020 Business and Economics Statistics B
(24 Credit Points)
Firstly, you need a distinction average or so to transfer into B Eco or B Com at UNSW. The B Eco isn't the same as the B Com anymore, so it makes a difference as to which degree you choose. You can major in what you want at UNSW. USYD is quite reputable in their B Eco so I don't really understand why you want to leave anyway.

Secondly, the courses you cited do look like they'll give you credit, at least 3 of them. Econ1001 = Econ1101. Econ1002 = Econ1102. Econ1010 & Econ1020 will most likely more than cover econ1203, but in UNSW there's only one 1st year stats core course requirement, so that's 1 course gone there.

If you want to graduate within 3 years, you will most likely have to take a summer course. As it stands, given the UNSW ASB's rules and stuff, you'll have to fee-help it, which incurs a 25% (upfront, they don't really tell you this) fee per course you do in summer of about $750 per summer course. Alternatively, you could do a general education course in summer and take the ASB one during the semester to remain at 3 years.

I also don't know what subjects you'll be doing in the 2nd semester, but I'm assuming here the best case - that only 1 of them won't really be counted in your first semester, and the rest will be counted.

You actually need to apply for credit from UNSW but because it's USYD and not say, university of timbucktoo, I'm sure you'll get as much credit as you can.

Why do you want to do honours though, if it's not to help you obtain employment within the financial sector? If you can get a job without honours, you don't really need to bother. Plus, remember that it is very competitive to get into honours programs and they're not easy.

d0mokun

HSC
But isnt it that theres high demand for those seeking work in the financial sector? So its best to have a competitive edge in order to obtain better employment? For instance, if i were willing to use my financial major (my other is economics) to get into the big4 firms?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But isnt it that theres high demand for those seeking work in the financial sector? So its best to have a competitive edge in order to obtain better employment? For instance, if i were willing to use my financial major (my other is economics) to get into the big4 firms?
Big4 professional services firms or big 4 banks?

d0mokun

HSC
EiTher, but moreover the big4 banks. Honestly idk where my economics major will take me, but would I need CPA or ca to work in those large financial institutions? And honours?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)