transfer (1 Viewer)

Skater_bum

HSC
hey guys, which would look better as a graduate degree before medicine medsci or physiotherapy?

(with required GPA etc)

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Skater_bum said:
hey guys, which would look better as a postgraduate degree before medicine medsci or physiotherapy?

(with required GPA etc)
You mean undergrad, Usyd emphasises that any undergrad degree can be taken, they only look at your GPA. However considering the GAMSAT it would be better to do a more science orientated course such as science or med science to get into medicine. The min GPA for most grad med schools is 5.5, i stress it is the minimum but you should be looking at 6+ with good GAMSAT scores.

Physiotherapy would help with understanding anatomy but it's off no real use for getting into medicine or helping with GAMSAT.

The uni's only care about your GPA really, unless your going to Umelb where you have to do a biomedical science undergrad course.

Last edited:

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Mate, your GPA is only a cut off.

USyd don't look at it once you have 5.5. They take into account your GAMSAT score for an interview.

Then they take into account your GAMSAT and interview scores to see who is offered a place. However, in the event of a tieoff, they use GPA.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~pagingdr/admission/uniReqCompared.shtml

Scroll down and you will see the GPA referred to as a "hurdle". Then look at what they take into account for interview/placement offers.

Skater_bum

HSC
so why don't most ppl do like 'bachelor of something easy' then rake up a cool GPA then apply?

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Skater_bum said:
so why don't most ppl do like 'bachelor of something easy' then rake up a cool GPA then apply?
Well i didnt really understand your question, but if u want to do post grad medicine then you cant do some "bachelor of something easy", cause not all degrees give u entry to post grad med and the ones that do arent easy.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Skater bum said:
Because you need to go good in GAMSAT which emphasises sciences and humanities (probably more sciences). They recommend that applicants have completed the equivalent of first year university in biology/chemistry and year 12 physics in order to go well in the science section.

The GPA for USyd is 5.5. As long as you get that (which is a credit avg) in any degree, then you will be considered for the interview. The GAMSAT will determine your likeliness of getting an interview spot.

Your GAMSAT and interview scores will be used to see who gets an offer.

Last edited:

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Kebabci Oglu said:
Well i didnt really understand your question, but if u want to do post grad medicine then you cant do some "bachelor of something easy", cause not all degrees give u entry to post grad med and the ones that do arent easy.
You're wrong there on a number of things.

Firstly, its "graduate" medicine not "post-graduate" pfffffttt noob :p.

Secondly, USyd stresses that a person who has completed ANY undergraduate degree can apply. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing for many of the "graduate" medicine schools. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Skater_bum

HSC
the GAMSAT sounds easier to myself , as i have recently done the chem/bio and physics course in the HSC as well this year at UWS, so i have had heaps of exposer to the content.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
markzada said:

Secondly, USyd stresses that a person who has completed ANY undergraduate degree can apply. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing for many of the "graduate" medicine schools. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pffft 07'er noob LOL. So what post grad and graduate, both MEAN that you need a bachelors degree to apply.

SO what r u saying that a person like me who does engineerin can apply for usyd grad med??

Skater_bum

HSC
markzada said:

what i meant was having previously completed a undergraduate course, so the easier way to get into med would be as follows:

1: get GPA of >5.5 (bachelor degree in something easy)
2: do well in the GAMSAT

if it doesn't matter what the previous course was , why wouldn't more ppl do like languages or social work because its easier than say Adv.Sci

Skater_bum

HSC
Kebabci Oglu said:
Pffft 07'er noob LOL. So what post grad and graduate, both MEAN that you need a bachelors degree to apply.

SO what r u saying that a person like me who does engineerin can apply for usyd grad med??
noob/meds

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard it not easy.

the GAMSAT sounds easier to myself , as i have recently done the chem/bio and physics course in the HSC as well this year at UWS, so i have had heaps of exposer to the content.
I don't think that would put you at an advantage considering MOST (not all) people sitting GAMSAT have finished a science related degree. And I THINK you have to be in your last year of a degree to sit the GAMSAT as the score only lasts for 2 years.

Skater_bum

HSC
not a problem , most ppl give up trying to get into med when they get rejected once/twice

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Skater_bum said:
what i meant was having previously completed a undergraduate course, so the easier way to get into med would be as follows:

1: get GPA of >5.5 (bachelor degree in something easy)
2: do well in the GAMSAT

if it doesn't matter what the previous course was , why wouldn't more ppl do like languages or social work because its easier than say Adv.Sci
Because, like I said, you need 1st year uni chemistry and biology to go well in the science section.

And there are people who do degrees in the humanities who still get into Medicine. They simply studied first year bio/chem by themselves and would have an advantage in the humanities section of the test (when compared to science graduates).

Kebabci Oglu said:
Yep. lol :D

Season

HSC
Skater_bum said:
Cos most people are stupid :p

You can do any degree you like as long as its a degree.

However to get passed the GAMSAT you need first year Chem/Bio plus year 12 physics, and the ability to write a good essay. So slacking off completely isn't such a good idea.

I know a few people who went through nursing with straight HDs for this reason.

Note: the Melb course has some specific undergraduate science courses that must be completed (conveniently they are a complusary part of the bioscience degree at Melb.)

Skater_bum

HSC
I'm only doing med sci because i enjoy science, like to learn about the body, wouldn't mind doing research and the transferable knowledge to the discipline of medicine.

Tim035

HSC
Skater_bum said:
I'm only doing med sci because i enjoy science, like to learn about the body, wouldn't mind doing research and the transferable knowledge to the discipline of medicine.
Sounds very similar to my story.
I'm 2nd year med sci, with HD's in first year chem and biology so I'm not overly worried there. But I've never done anything to do with phsyics. I here this really isn't a huge part of the GAMSAT, in chem you cover a decent amount of quantum mechanics; would this be enough to get me through? It'd seem kind of dumb to buy like a year 12 physics textbook and study up on that.

I'll probably try to do some kind in GAMSAT course if I can afford it when the time comes.

Also 5.5 Gpa ~ ?? WAM at UNSW.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Year 12 physics is assumed knowledge for GAMSAT.
First year chem, and bio also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)