Transferring from UOW to UNSW (Computer Science/Engineering) (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
How difficult is it to transfer from computer science/electrical from UOW to UNSW.
Can you do it after 1 semester.

CaptainPrice

HSC
Best to pick up B science UNSW (around 80esh atar), and transfer to compsci after 1st sem, cos you'll be doing same subjects as a normal compsci kid (B Science is uber flexible like that).

Then, after a sem of compsci, transfer to a double degree? Not sure if you can do that, but I do know elec has mandatory requirement of doing a comp subject, and you'll be doing math1a and Phys (as an elective), hence you should be fine for elec as well :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Best to pick up B science UNSW (around 80esh atar), and transfer to compsci after 1st sem, cos you'll be doing same subjects as a normal compsci kid (B Science is uber flexible like that).

Then, after a sem of compsci, transfer to a double degree? Not sure if you can do that, but I do know elec has mandatory requirement of doing a comp subject, and you'll be doing math1a and Phys (as an elective), hence you should be fine for elec as well :)
You need to wait until after 1st year before you transfer degrees.

I guess you could do that and just pick core elec/comp subjects as electives so they can be applied as credit when you transfer

CaptainPrice

HSC
You need to wait until after 1st year before you transfer degrees.

I guess you could do that and just pick core elec/comp subjects as electives so they can be applied as credit when you transfer
Hmm you're right, I just checked and yeah 36UOC (you can only do max 24UOC per sem). Did they recently change it?

I was sure on going into B Science and transferring second sem, checked online and loads of people had done similarly.

Regardless, you can still do second semester core subjects, so it's still a much better alternative than transferring from another university.

Not to mention...

~UNSW MUSTARD RACE~

All the best Turntaker!

Ethicks

HSC
If you're doing your HSC this year why are you asking these questions? It's easy to transfer from UOW after 1 year with a credit average.

turntaker

HSC
If you're doing your HSC this year why are you asking these questions? It's easy to transfer from UOW after 1 year with a credit average.
because I did crap in one English assignment and I am worried I will not get 90+ lmao.

turntaker

HSC
There's nothing wrong with having plan Bs, Cs etc. or even just knowing what to do if you don't get your desired ATAR. I mean, I'd hate to open up and see my ATAR is not what I needed and feel like I have no options. It's good to explore those options before that stage.

And good luck OP, I'm trying to get into UNSW Computer science as well.

My plan is if I don't get 91, try to get in via the FEAS process, where they interview you and look at your subjects (try to do well in maths). You still have to get above 80 to get an interview.

If you don't get accepted that way, do a science degree for a year - doing as many electives / subjects that are in the CS degree and then transfer.

And if I bomb the HSC... well I don't know what I'd do. Does anyone know what you would do if you got say in the 70s with bonus points?? Go to another uni I suppose, then try to transfer in?
thanks. hope to see you next year? or the year after (might take a gap)

the interview happens before you get 80+.
however if you get less than that you have no chance basically. The interview increases your chances of getting in by a lot and I recommend to apply to it in august.

if you do bomb it. I would just go to another uni and try transfering after a sem or year.
In reality in things such as COMP SCI the uni you go to doesn't matter. Your skills and portfolio is wayy more important.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)