Transferring from UWS Arts to USYD Arts (1 Viewer)

Oget

HSC
Hello,

My girlfriend is going to UWS this year doing Arts and she wants to transfer out at the end of the year to USYD. She got a ATAR of 67.6 or something along those lines.

What kind of GPA will she need to pull that off? A credit average?

She's thinking about doing:

Bachelor of Arts - Cultural and Social Analysis
OR
Bachelor of Arts - English Text and Writing

Anyone know which is easiest? She is leaning towards Cultural and Social Analysis since her interest lies in anthropology but she is very talented in English, having done 4Unit English at High School (though sadly dropping it in favour of science units which ended up being her undoing).

Can anyone give us some help in deciding? Some experienced UWSers would be a lot of help.

Thanks guys,

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no idea about the arts subjects because the only arts I'm interested in is languages so yeah.

Buttt I read on the USyd website that they either take just tertiary results or a combination (probably 50/50) of secondary and tertiary, depending on what will give you the best chance... obviously in your friend's case just her tertiary, so I guess she doesn't have to worry about her UAI.

Usyd website says:

The results that you achieve in your tertiary study will affect the way that your application is considered. Generally, if you have an acceptable tertiary qualification, your application would be considered on the basis of both your results from your secondary (HSC or equivalent) and your tertiary qualifications. However, if your results from your secondary qualification are not as good as those from your tertiary study, the results from your secondary qualification would not normally be considered.
... and it says the tertiary results just have to be from a university in Australia or New Zealand, equivalent to 48 USyd credit points and one year full-time equivalent.

Tertiary study - Domestic undergraduate - The University of Sydney

Soooo there's a thread on transferring here, which has a pdf on selection ranks and stuff:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/45647/topic-university-transfers.html

So, I don't know the cut-offs when it comes to selection based on tertiary results, but apparently it's usually lower than the UAI/ATAR... so I'm thinking maybe a minimum selection rank of 83, which is about a GPA of 4.00-4.09 for 1.00-2.99 FTE, which really isn't hard to get because it's only a pass average... so I guess she'd be fine if she didn't fail anything and got a few credits.

Seems kinda unbelievable to me but that's just what it all says :p

(Sorry for the major waffling...)

Foodie

HSC
N/A
Just aim for a solid credit average, which is not difficult to accomplish at all if you're sensible, and you'll be surprised at how many doors will open for you in r/e to transferring.

rx34

HSC
On the safe side, aim for a distinction average. That's what they recommend for commerce anyway. If all else fails, a high credit average might be just enough to get a successful transfer.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I have seen people from my cohort successfully transfer with credit averages, and one with a pass average. The higher she aims the better though, just so she has an impressive GPA and can apply for credit when she's accepted to USyd.

I have done some electives from the Cultural and Social Analysis major in my degree and have really enjoyed them - but if your girlfriends strength lies in english, then the English, Text and Writing major may be up her alley. Keep in mind though, she's only planning to be there for one year, so half of her subjects would be BA cores anyway.

She could always hedge her bets and enrol in one major, while undertaking the other major as an elective submajor, like this (for each of the two semesters):

BA core
BA core
English level 1 subject or random elective
Cultural level 1 subject or random elective

It would also be helpful if she could find out what USyd accepts for credit in previous studies. I recognise this would be very difficult to find out, but if she could that would influence what subjects she chose for the semester.

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)