transferring from UWS for comm/law need help (1 Viewer)

sean1990

HSC
hey guys,

Firstly, i'd like to apologise for not already knowing some of these very simple, basic questions as my decision to go to macquarie was a very late minute one (a "get outta uws as quick as possible).

Outline- Attended a year at UWS for business/commerce and law and have decided to transfer into commerce/law at macquarie.

Now, the following are my question and once again I apologise for the simplicity of them.

1. has anyone made this transfer and can tell me the differences between uni's (in particular classes, parking etc).

2. In the handbook- 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 do these represent the year/s in which you complete the unit? or do you choose what ones to do (providing u have done pre-requisites). UWS has its handbook set out in years so its far easier to work out what your doing....and now im confused.

2. A) As i am transferring from UWS i have completed several units which I believe i will/should get advanced standing/credit for previous study. Now, I have completed some units which are from the 100 list and some from the 200 list.

So does this mean I will be exempted from some and just make up the others in this year? for example, i have done torts law which should count for torts (200). does this mean I do a 100 unit before i do another 200 unit (contracts).

3. UWS had tutorial registration which was basically just a big free for all, best in best dressed in picking units/times. Now, I live in western sydney (Bankstown area) and I NEED to get times which suit me and my fairly long drive to avoid traffic.

So i will be attending the pre-orientation thing (non compulsory) and the academic advising day (12th feb - later than the other to get credit for previous study exemption). Now, the academic advising day states I need to complete a program of units (or something similar). I am very unsure as to what units I do (due to the 100, 200 system) and whether or not i'll get advanced standing.

I have requested a transcript from UWS and will meet the deadline to have it back b4 academic advising. So I am asking you to clarify what I have put and please give me any information as to what is the best actions for me to take to get my units together and understand what units i'll have to do and the BEST way to get the VERY important times/classes to avoid 5oclock traffic back to bankstown.

4. Is any1 willing to have a chat to me on msn or something to fulfill any further (basic) questions about macq?.

Thanks everyone for all your help,

Sean.

*hopeful*

HSC
100, 200, 300 etc is basically the years ie you do your 100 level units in your 1st year etc

in re to bankstown and traffic, it will only take you 30 mins in average traffic to get to macq and anytime after 5pm should normally only take 45 mins so dont stress too much about times

SFinspired

HSC
i feel sorry for uws. so many students not completing their degree at uws is just el oh el phail

Monstar

HSC
i feel sorry for uws. so many students not completing their degree at uws is just el oh el phail
He will soon discover the law degree at mq isnt so flash either. have a look through the forum.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hey guys,

Firstly, i'd like to apologise for not already knowing some of these very simple, basic questions as my decision to go to macquarie was a very late minute one (a "get outta uws as quick as possible).

Outline- Attended a year at UWS for business/commerce and law and have decided to transfer into commerce/law at macquarie.

Now, the following are my question and once again I apologise for the simplicity of them.

1. has anyone made this transfer and can tell me the differences between uni's (in particular classes, parking etc).

2. In the handbook- 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 do these represent the year/s in which you complete the unit? or do you choose what ones to do (providing u have done pre-requisites). UWS has its handbook set out in years so its far easier to work out what your doing....and now im confused.

2. A) As i am transferring from UWS i have completed several units which I believe i will/should get advanced standing/credit for previous study. Now, I have completed some units which are from the 100 list and some from the 200 list.

So does this mean I will be exempted from some and just make up the others in this year? for example, i have done torts law which should count for torts (200). does this mean I do a 100 unit before i do another 200 unit (contracts).

3. UWS had tutorial registration which was basically just a big free for all, best in best dressed in picking units/times. Now, I live in western sydney (Bankstown area) and I NEED to get times which suit me and my fairly long drive to avoid traffic.

So i will be attending the pre-orientation thing (non compulsory) and the academic advising day (12th feb - later than the other to get credit for previous study exemption). Now, the academic advising day states I need to complete a program of units (or something similar). I am very unsure as to what units I do (due to the 100, 200 system) and whether or not i'll get advanced standing.

I have requested a transcript from UWS and will meet the deadline to have it back b4 academic advising. So I am asking you to clarify what I have put and please give me any information as to what is the best actions for me to take to get my units together and understand what units i'll have to do and the BEST way to get the VERY important times/classes to avoid 5oclock traffic back to bankstown.

4. Is any1 willing to have a chat to me on msn or something to fulfill any further (basic) questions about macq?.

Thanks everyone for all your help,

Sean.
1. parking a bit better but not much, degree more theoretical at MQ (focus on philosophy of law)if you like the practical focus of UWS you may not like MQ that much, most classes lecture/tute rather than seminar,.. MQ has online lectures.

2. Those generally represent years but provided you meet the pre-req you can do it whenever. Also with the transfer your program will probably be out of order because UWS does subjects in a different order.

3. Our tute reg starts at midnight on thursv night/fri morning. You do your timetable for the whole year. Everyone has to deal with traffic, you can do your best and some you might be able to get into some tutes by using that excuse but dude we all have to deal with terrible traffic, you'll most likely be told to suck it up, I live in strathfield and the traffic still sucks for me. Most of MQs students come from the Hills, Western Syd and the North Shore, all experience bad traffic.

4. You can PM me if you want.

5. Academic advising will tell you what you need to do. As you wont be sorted out until after tute reg you'll probably get some sucky classes, just keep checking estudent (where you register for classes) people always drop out. If not you might have to dal with bad traffic for a year and then next year you will be fine.

sean1990

HSC
So basically I can't choose the times I want bcause I haw no idea what units I'm doing until I am granted credit for previous study. Is it worth picking some to tonight that I am quite sure I'll have to do ?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So basically I can't choose the times I want bcause I haw no idea what units I'm doing until I am granted credit for previous study. Is it worth picking some to tonight that I am quite sure I'll have to do ?
Well you need to be enrolled in units to pick the tute times. It depends on if you have any idea of what you should be doing. If it allows you to enrol you could do that. BTW its actually midnight tonight, I got confused. Have a look at what is eqv to what you have done and see if you can work it out there, if you need help ask here and I will see if I can help you.

BringSexyBack

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same situtation as well... worried that I won't get the classes I wanted cuz I just send the credit for previous studies form today and all those process/exemptions won't be done till Feb 12th :(

I think we can do contract laws, law lawyers n society and for the commerce unit, I'm gona do management thing.

BringSexyBack

HSC
N/A
Melsc, can you give us a brief idea of what unit we should do? Like what unit did Macq allow you to do in 2nd year after transfering from UWS?

Snooty

HSC
You'll probably just need to do Contracts and Law, Lawyers and Society this semester for law. I transferred in from UWS last year and Criminal/Torts/Juris/Foundations were all exempted. Second semester you should be doing 4 commerce units (or how many you choose to do) and then Property/Constitutional from the beginning of next year. Thats how it all ended up working for me.

The new curriculum might have changed a few things around, but I doubt it would differ too much from last year, since the units are basically the same.

sean1990

HSC
okay,

the way I am reading it from MQ's site is basically, if your a new undergraduate student you cannot enrol in units or pick classes until it re-opens for the rest of the continuing students on 8th of Feb - 5th of March.

I am guessing they must reserve a certain amount of positions for new enrolling undergraduates.

Surely they would have spots in ideal time spots for new undergraduates who MUST enrol and register for classes LATER than the rest of the university.

Oh well, time will tell.

for the record, I live about another 15-20 in traffic from strathfield/ bankstown.... not trying to tell my sob story, i understand everybody deals with traffic, all i asked was a way to avoid it if possible.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
8 Feb5 Mar

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
okay,

the way I am reading it from MQ's site is basically, if your a new undergraduate student you cannot enrol in units or pick classes until it re-opens for the rest of the continuing students on 8th of Feb - 5th of March.

I am guessing they must reserve a certain amount of positions for new enrolling undergraduates.

Surely they would have spots in ideal time spots for new undergraduates who MUST enrol and register for classes LATER than the rest of the university.

Oh well, time will tell.

for the record, I live about another 15-20 in traffic from strathfield/ bankstown.... not trying to tell my sob story, i understand everybody deals with traffic, all i asked was a way to avoid it if possible.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
8 Feb5 Mar
They'll reserve spots in subjects (i.e. so you can enrol in them) but not in particular tutes, credit for previous studies students always enrol later. People change their tutes all the time and I was in a situation like you, what I did was check the site frequently and got what I wanted in the end. I wasn't attacking you, just trying to point out that most lecturers wont allow you to join a full-tute just because of traffic, some let anyone turn up, others are anal about rules, some are also restricted by the size of the room.

For best parking conditions aim to be at uni before 9 or after 3-4. Best of luck with this, it really sucks but at least next year it will be nice and simple. Trust me you may not get all your times but with persistent checking you can get what you want.

Last edited:

sean1990

HSC
okay cool, thanks for your help.

I aim to be at uni b4 9am everday I need to go (hopefully 3-4 days a week).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)