Transferring into Undergrad medicine at UWS/UNSW (3 Viewers)

HSC
I find Med Science @ UNSW to be interesting (I enjoy looking at dead bodies in anatomy lab classes.)

But there are some people who mistake medical science for medicine (some, but very few, 2nd year BMedSci students @ UNSW are able to transfer into MBBS @ UNSW with advanced standing)

I'm sure there are some people who look down (and throw taunts) on bmedsci people like me (for "failing" to be a med student.)... but so far, I've only encountered one person on boredofstudies so far (not in real life yet).

As for your 2nd question, I'm trying to get into medicine as soon as possible (I don't really care much about completing my B Med Sci, I wouldn't mind if I have to stay back in med sci for another year or 2, since I have med sci friends who are in the same situation as me). I will sit GAMSAT next year (if I screw up umat and interview this year, though I think it's very unlikely I'd get in interview this year).

I've heard that GAMSAT is very hard, but at least the competition is not as tense as for the UMAT. (but if you do a science degree @ any uni, you'll be goin' good for section 3 of the gamsat paper). From some statistics that I read some years ago (maybe from one of the official ACER pdf files), the med/biomed science students had one of the highest successful rates (I can't remember if successful for just GAMSAT, or if successful for getting an offer into MBBS).... but that rate was between 25-30% (which is not very high for "highest").... maybe I should try to find some newer statistics to see if rate rate has changed much.

If it does make you feel at ease, @ sydney uni, you only need a 65% average in ur bachelor's degree (credit average) to be considered, and it's a threshold, so it does not matter if you get distinction or high distinction...you only need credit. The good news: many (but not all) unis in Australia use the credit-average threshold. Iif you pass the threshold, ur uni results no longer get looked at, and ur chances of getting into medicine would then depend on GAMSAT and interview.
Thanks for your answer :D . If I don't get into med from high school, Im going to do exactly what your doing now because all I want to do is Medicine ;)

HSC
if you want to be a doctor and don't get in, I'd say nursing or medsci is a good path to go down.

celinedaignault

HSC
Hi I want to do medicine too :) Just a question, if I am unsuccessful getting into undergraduate medicine, i apply for med science at the respective universities and then reapply each year with the course marks, umat and interview. So keep trying, and then if not successful, hopefully entry into graduate medicine? But where is usyd, uts etc. in that equation, or any other university that only offers grad. medicine? Sorry, I must sound so stupid, but this process is confusing. Please help me out! :) Also, would a degree in chemical engineering help for graduate medicine? Like the entry process?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi I want to do medicine too :) Just a question, if I am unsuccessful getting into undergraduate medicine, i apply for med science at the respective universities and then reapply each year with the course marks, umat and interview. So keep trying, and then if not successful, hopefully entry into graduate medicine? But where is usyd, uts etc. in that equation, or any other university that only offers grad. medicine? Sorry, I must sound so stupid, but this process is confusing. Please help me out! :) Also, would a degree in chemical engineering help for graduate medicine? Like the entry process?
the entire first part of your post doesn't make sense (crossed out).

USyd - credit average in your completed bachelors degree. Amazing GAMSAT and interview.
UTS - Doesn't offer med…?

You are correct here. (bolded)

Engineering help with med?
Nope.
Possibly biomedical.
But apart from that. Nope.
I do chemical engineering because it's not that competitive and I'm pretty good at it, not because it'll help with med.

jet

Banned
HSC
I've heard that GAMSAT is very hard, but at least the competition is not as tense as for the UMAT. (but if you do a science degree @ any uni, you'll be goin' good for section 3 of the gamsat paper). From some statistics that I read some years ago (maybe from one of the official ACER pdf files), the med/biomed science students had one of the highest successful rates (I can't remember if successful for just GAMSAT, or if successful for getting an offer into MBBS).... but that rate was between 25-30% (which is not very high for "highest").... maybe I should try to find some newer statistics to see if rate rate has changed much.

If it does make you feel at ease, @ sydney uni, you only need a 65% average in ur bachelor's degree (credit average) to be considered, and it's a threshold, so it does not matter if you get distinction or high distinction...you only need credit. The good news: many (but not all) unis in Australia use the credit-average threshold. Iif you pass the threshold, ur uni results no longer get looked at, and ur chances of getting into medicine would then depend on GAMSAT and interview.
It's important to realise that just doing a science degree doesn't set you up for section 3 of GAMSAT. In fact, a lot of the content of section 3 will be unseen because the focus of section 3 is about scientific thinking, not scientific knowledge.

Also, GPA may not matter in the threshold sense, but if there are 50 of you on the same GAMSAT/Interview score and 25 places are left, I understand that GPA is used to rank those 50 and pick the top 25 (at least for some programs). As such you should be aiming for a high GPA anyway. And there is nothing to say that GPA won't become part of the actual ranking process in the future.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, Applicants who are studying a Medicine program at another institution must apply for a transfer request when applying to our Medicine program, instead of re-applying via UAC. For instructions on how to submit a Transfer Request, please visit the UWS School of Medicine website: http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)