Transferring to UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
Hey Guys,

Could someone please explain how I can transfer from Psychology/Law at UWS to UNSW Medicine, or any other universities, which offer Medicine?
Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I accept my offer for Psych/law and enrol at UWS, but receive an offer for Biotechnology (Bachelor of Science) from UNSW, can I defer my initial offer and disenrol from UWS??

Thank you.

iamorbid

HSC
basically do great in any degree for a year + umat

deswa1

HSC
Just about your first question in transferring to UNSW med, I think you'll find it extremely difficult (i.e. look at other unis- hopefully someone else can give info on those). I think from another thread your ATAR was 94.25 or something? The ATAR equivalent needed to get an interview at UNSW for undergraduate is a 96 ATAR and that is with a perfect raw score UMAT. Now given that you'll have completed one year of uni, they'll look at the ATAR as a 50:50 ratio between uni grades and ATAR so essentially, in order to be even considered eligible to apply, you'll be looking for a lot of high distinctions and the rest distinctions in your course + a UMAT in the high 90's percentile. Remember also that they have less spots for transferring then they do open to people straight from HSC so yeah...

Good luck though- I hope you make it in somewhere

Dylanamali

HSC
HD average / 7.0GPA

and a

97+&ile UMAT just to get an interview.

SanjoyM

HSC
HD average / 7.0GPA

and a

97+&ile UMAT just to get an interview.

OMGGGGGG!! 7.0!!!!!!! That's Crazy... UWS/UNCLE medicine, it is! Or JCU :S
Also, if I accept my offer for Psych/law and enrol at UWS, but receive an offer for Biotechnology (Bachelor of Science) from UNSW, can I defer my initial offer and disenrol from UWS??

Is this possible or will it incur a fine?

Thank you.

SanjoyM

HSC
Just about your first question in transferring to UNSW med, I think you'll find it extremely difficult (i.e. look at other unis- hopefully someone else can give info on those). I think from another thread your ATAR was 94.25 or something? The ATAR equivalent needed to get an interview at UNSW for undergraduate is a 96 ATAR and that is with a perfect raw score UMAT. Now given that you'll have completed one year of uni, they'll look at the ATAR as a 50:50 ratio between uni grades and ATAR so essentially, in order to be even considered eligible to apply, you'll be looking for a lot of high distinctions and the rest distinctions in your course + a UMAT in the high 90's percentile. Remember also that they have less spots for transferring then they do open to people straight from HSC so yeah...

Good luck though- I hope you make it in somewhere
Haha! thanks :) I think I'll apply elsewhere, as the criteria seems extremely arduous :| -sighs-

Dylanamali

HSC
You can't defer an offer and accept another, you either defer and take a GAP year or accept an offer and do the degree.
You can, however accept the offer from UWS, wait for the Biotech one, if you get it - accept it and then disenrol from UWS.

SanjoyM

HSC
You can't defer an offer and accept another, you either defer and take a GAP year or accept an offer and do the degree.
You can, however accept the offer from UWS, wait for the Biotech one, if you get it - accept it and then disenrol from UWS.
Thank you :) The latter answered my question VERY well ^_^ I'm trying to comprehend if Biotechnology would be a better course for me and a plausible avenue for transference into Medicine, rather than Psych/Law.... :S '
Once again, thank you. Much appreciated.

Dylanamali

HSC
I would think that quite clearly a better avenue for transfer into medicine would be a 3 yr science degree over a 5 yr psych/law degree.

1. Medicine is heavily science based
2. 3 year degree opens up postgraduate opportunities faster

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I would think that quite clearly a better avenue for transfer into medicine would be a 3 yr science degree over a 5 yr psych/law degree.

1. Medicine is heavily science based
2. 3 year degree opens up postgraduate opportunities faster
+1.

nifkeh

HSC
would the people doing Med Science still be okay to transfer into medicine like the people doing a science degree?

SanjoyM

HSC
Hmmmmm. Perhaps, Biotechnology (Bachelor of Science) OR Bachelor of Science Adv at UNSW is a more plausible option. Time to change preferences AGAIN ^_^

Immortalp00n

HSC
is ur atar high enough to get u in to B Adv Science or med science at either USYD or UNSW??
if so, try doing that...
dont really see how psych and law will help u in any way

Dylanamali

HSC
would the people doing Med Science still be okay to transfer into medicine like the people doing a science degree?
Yes - they are both 3 yr degrees..

Apply for both undergrad unis (UMAT) and postgraduate unis (GAMSAT).

You can apply for medicine with any degree - it doesn't have to be science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)