transferring usyd to unsw? (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
hey

im curently studying B.com at usyd however my grades havent been what i wished for and prety dispointed from sem1.

Anyway im thinking of maybe transfering to unsw and perhaps get some grades reset and start again?
Is it possible if i get to chose which course i would like to be recognised and the ones i would like to do again?

Who do i apply to for a transfer? and whens the due date?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i dont get how u can even transfer if ur grades r low?

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
You need at least a credit (65 or greater) average to transfer in the first place, and no, you can't pick-and-choose which subjects they look at - they look at all of them. However, I think they take your UAI into account, as well as your grades from your first year of uni study. And you apply through UAC.

At least, I know the above is true for an arts degree, since I have a friend who wants to transfer at the end of the year from Syd -> UNSW too, and she's been looking into all of this.

HSC
UNSW will only look at the higher of your UAI OR GPA (except for some courses like Law)

Apply through UAC, just like in HSC.

lordesf

HSC
hmm my avg is like 60 so..

and yeh so they only look at the higher or uai n uni grades?

Isnt transfer done easily? i thought they just let u transfer for the 1st yr etc just by looking a the uai?

And cant u reset ur grades if u wanted to?
So u cant pick at all the ones u want to keep and reset?

Also i wana transfer form Usyd B.Com to unsw B.com/eco

HSC
How do they judge which is higher?
GPA is converted to a Selection Rank, very much like how a UAI/ATAR is converted
http://community.boredofstudies.org/330/transfers/45647/topic-university-transfers.html
NB. The conversion graph attached is outdated

hmm my avg is like 60 so..

and yeh so they only look at the higher or uai n uni grades?
Yep

Isnt transfer done easily? i thought they just let u transfer for the 1st yr etc just by looking a the uai?
Transfer is done through UAC. Provided that you have undertaken 0.75 to 1.00 full-time year, you will be assessed for admission to com/eco on either your first year results or your UAI, UNSW will consider the best of the two.

And cant u reset ur grades if u wanted to?
So u cant pick at all the ones u want to keep and reset?
Doubt it

Also i wana transfer form Usyd B.Com to unsw B.com/eco
I'd say you have a good shot of a successful transfer

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
its half WAM and UAI...and u only need a credit average which is in your range.
And doing this transfer to ONLY START AGAIN, i personally reckon it is waste of time....im guessing right now ur WAM/GPA is around credit average...and u have about 3yrs to go.
Dont fret...although the coming years will get harder...u have learnt ur lesson now..so just get distinctions in the coming years to put the average back up.

Also, from what i said b4. It is a waste of time, cos that means u would have wasted a year if u wanted to start over....then ur UOC will not count for anything....right now in this economic state..just pass ur first year...concentrate in coming years graduate earlier and start getting experience......cos if u WANT to start again...then that is just a waste of a year....

just dont fret...its only first year

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
HSC
Eh. :/ The advice person on Open Day said they look at both. But whatever, you're probably right.

I guess either way, if you have an awesome UAI, that certainly helps if you have slightly less-than-incredible uni grades.
Well i'm can probably say that it's still at the discretion of the uni whether they look at one or the other or both.

However this is something i've already talked to UNSW Undergraduate Admission about
Dear Kevin,
Thank you for your email.
Provided that your HSC is less than five years old and that you have undertaken 0.75 to 1.00 full time year you will be assessed for admission to B Commerce on either your first year results or your UAI, UNSW will consider the best of the two.
Also, having a read through some of the threads in the transfer forum, there have been many people who have experienced this first hand.

However most of the official university publications that mention transferring do seem to always say that they look at both. I don't think the uni wants us knowing they look at one or the other either.

Anyways, don't know if im trying to convince you or myself, seeing as i want to transfer myself

HSC
N/A
i can't be certain about unsw, but every single other uni does it the half/half way, and that's the way it was done when i transferred out of there. furthermore, if you go through the uac then the uac does the calculations, not the university.

perhaps unsw does things differently now

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
i can't be certain about unsw, but every single other uni does it the half/half way, and that's the way it was done when i transferred out of there. furthermore, if you go through the uac then the uac does the calculations, not the university.

perhaps unsw does things differently now
UNSW is still half/half. USYD (for combined law) is either half/half or (since this year) whichever one is better (so either UAI or Uni marks).

HSC
minai,

My uai = 91.05, gpa = 2.75 (1d, 4 crs, 3 p's)

and i got a offer b comm at unsw ! :eek:

I thought this was impossible !!
your translated nsrl rank is 89.525.

and you got in, WTF!!!

my nrsl rank is 90.625, and i got declined.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!
from unsw admissions today minai

(assume here, you have completed at least 1 year FTE)
Transferring to commerce;
they take the mark that is the highest, so either your secondary or teritary marks

Transferring to law;
50/50 UAI/GPA

Well that's from the head of the Admissions at UNSW anyhow. The marks from GPA turn into a mark, etc. the same as above (for the conversion part). You then get ranked against everyone else, as usual.

E.g. get 6.5 GPA, hello BCom, etc.
_______

He enquired with the head of admissions at UNSW and for Commerce, they take the higher of first year marks or UAI.
_______

I applied for mid year transfer and got it. They obviously did take my uni results, which i calculated would of turned into a rank of 93. Interesting. Well im not complaining, im glad im just in alreadly.

Good luck to future people wanting to transfer. As Minai reiterated, yeah I checked with the head of admissions, and they said they took the higher, uni results or Uai, whichever was greater.

Cheers
_______

This is the reply I got from UNSW:

Dear Rageeb,

Thank you for your email.

After one full time year you will be assessed on either your UAI or your first year GPA, UNSW will consider the better of the two. However we do reserve the right to consider an applicants entire academic record. The same applies for Engineering/Commerce.

To be competitive for admission you should aim for a credit to distinction average.

Regards
Stuart
_______

lordesf

HSC
gosh wat controversy!
Thanks alot for the replies ppl! Especially kevin!

But hmm whens the latest date i can apply to uac about htis transfer? im still thinking about it and all..

stryd3r

HSC
it is actually the best mark out of UAI and your uni marks
I know this cause I transferred to commerce with a shit uai lol

HSC
GPA: 5.375 (= 91~ UAI)
WAM: 73
UAI: 80
NRSL (GPA+UAI): 85.50

Got offered Commerce@UNSW - 96 ATAR

make up your mind on what they looked at..

rx34

HSC
Wow grats kevin! You managed to get in a 96 course with a 80 UAI. Well done :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)