Transgenic species (1 Viewer)

swordfish

What sort of detail do we need to go into when describing how a transgenic species is produced? my teacher thought that just saying a gene from one species is inserted into another was good enough...but even the Excel book, which is usually sketchy at best, goes into some stuff about sticky ends, annealing, etc. :confused:

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
what is annealing? (in terms of bio?) i've seen that term in chemistry but why all this talk of it in bio??

you need to outline the processes used to produce transgenic species. outline needs a general description of the process so your teacher is wrong. also, i was told to note the plural of processeS so it's good to know at least 3 methods, examples and reasons.

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by mei_ling03
what is annealing? (in terms of bio?)
I think it's the joining of DNA strands? when it's cut, and pasted (sticky ends).. somewhere along those lines.

psycho_mushy

HSC
Outline the processes used to produce transgenic species and include examples of this process and reasons for its use:

A transgenic species is produced by the following methods: A favourable gene from a certain organism must be isolated. It is then cut out of its DNA strand through the use of restriction enzymes which cut where there is a repetition. The gene is then "strengethernd" through the use of added DNA sequences and by making many copies of the gene. The gens is added to some other DNA (usually a plasmid) through the use of the same restriction enzyme (so the sticky bits joins together) to make recombinant DNA. The recombinant DNA is then either spliced into a bacterial plasmid (rind of DNA) or into a virus. The bacteria, is used to replicated the gene many times while the virus is introduced to the host, adding the desired gene to the DNA of the host. This process is used mainly when desirable characteristics from on organism are needed in another organism. An example of this is the cold-resistant gene in salmon was spliced into strawberry's allowing them to withstand cold temperatures.

there u have it folks! hope it helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)