Transgenic species (1 Viewer)

swordfish

How much detail do you think we need to go into when describing the processes by which a transgenic species is produced? (I think its one of the last dt.pts in Blueprint). My teacher thought it would be good enough to just say that a gene from one species was inserted into another species, but even the Excel bio book, which is sketchy at best, goes into some detail about sticky ends, annealing, etc. What do you think?:confused:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I think that sticky ends stuff is a bit much. Just know where they get the gene from, and why they choose that gene. Also, adv and disadv of the process (e.g. loss of genetic diversity, etc)

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i think to have an example would be good eg lectin in snow drops can be inserted into cauliflower to become resistant to insects

tempco

HSC
I know about 4 processes that can be used to create a transgenic species.. including restriction enzymes/dna ligase, some gun shooting gold plated pellets of genes and micropipettes.. can't remember the 4th one... might be a bit too much, but hey.. it can't hurt to be over informed :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)