Transistors (1 Viewer)

allstarr69

how much do they expect us to know on this? In class we learnt all about pnp and npn transistors (which ive completely forgotten) but I dont see it anywhere in the syllubus....

fush

HSC
look at the syllabus, u dont really need to know how a pnp and npn transistor works..all u have to know is that it used in circuits to amplify the current (for communication purposes) and is used in computers as switches to convey the binary data of computers (001001010101...)

You also need to know about thermionic devices and the reason why solid state devices (semiconductors) are now used instead (size, practicality, price, speed, reliance..). The fact that inventors used the triode before the invention of transistors because they needed a device capable of amplify current and signals for communication purposes.

You also need to know why silicon is now more widely used than Germanium for semiconductors and you should also know some practical uses of semiconductors like, solar cells, transisitors and diodes in circuits and microprocessers
eg. modern P4 chip has over 55 million transistors!!! and modern day transistors are .11 microns big!!! :cool:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
he said he doesn't see transistors anywhere in the syllabus
i told him to look under semi conductors

allstarr69

hmmm then it was a chronic waste of time all the lessons we spent on npn and pnp transistors lol

tempco

HSC
yep... and my teacher happily admitted to that after he went through ALL of it.

snoopwogg

HSC
Woah did he go through it??? I thought that was the day i started complaining so he had a hissy fit and said no im not gonna bother teaching it to you. Either that or i was asleep during that period :\

fush

HSC
we didnt learn it in class but i did an asessment on transistors so i learnt how they work....kinda complicated

rumour

HSC
Are transistors used to change the current in the circuits?

I have no idea what they do!!!!!!!!!

fush

HSC
Transistors are used as switches in circuits (eg, computers) and are also used as rectifiers allowing the current to flow in one direction only...transistors are also used a current amplifiers ( this is because they have three electrodes, the collector the emitter and the base)

rumour

HSC
fush said:
Transistors are used as switches in circuits (eg, computers) and are also used as rectifiers allowing the current to flow in one direction only...transistors are also used a current amplifiers ( this is because they have three electrodes, the collector the emitter and the base)
& is this what thermionic devices do?

Last edited:

Jase

HSC
All i know is, that those things are small and hurt like hell when you poke yourself with the pointy ends.

That, and that they act as amplifiers by using a npn or pnp layer when current passes from collecter to emitter. and the base is the middle one, which makes it do something somehow. And it's a switch. somehow.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
fush said:
allowing the current to flow in one direction only
Thats a diode. Theyre made wiht only 1 p and 1 n junction.

I'm pretty sure thermionic devices were just used as transistors. ie. amps and such.

fush

HSC
Thermionic devices and solid state device do the same functions and they both direct the low of current in circuits and they both amplify current signals

Thermionic devices
triode
use vacuum tubes
expensive, fragile, bulky

Solid state devices
transistor
use semiconductors
cheap, faster, smaller

Last edited:

Jase

HSC
There's a rumour of a rumour of a rumour that ilovechildren7 loves children. and is gay.

hipcat

is there any difference between pnp and npn transistors? thanks heaps for this info eh. i had no idea in the trial. i just left the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)