Travel Concessions for International Students - Foolish Demands (1 Viewer)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Why? our taxes should be covering the costs of our shitty rail system. Anyone who actually believes that we should be paying for public transport is an idiot.
I think for uni students it should be free.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I think for uni students it should be free.
Why do you think uni students should qualify for free travel?

Do you think that a B. Arts student deserves free travel while the working tradesman should not?

I have a friend who works full-time and pays the full price. I don't see why uni students should be in a different situation.

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

Do you think that a B. Arts student deserves free travel while the working tradesman should not?

I have a friend who works full-time and pays the full price. I don't see why uni students should be in a different situation.
because most uni students are not working full time.
Also school students qualify for free travel why should tertiary students not qualify?

(Not related to the above post) this would also help the environment with less students driving to uni

Garygaz

HSC
Halp me guys, all the international students are down repping me.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC

I live at home but my parents don't give me money, and I'm at uni 5 days a week, all day. I don't qualify for youth allowance and am having trouble finding a job because my hours aren't flexible.

Of course the working tradesman doesn't deserve it, he's fucking working full time ie. MAKING MONEY. I PAY to go to uni.

You're an idiot.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
BKM You make a good point but the issue here is that the tradesman's tax money is going towards running the trains and on top of that he has to pay to use it. Yet you on the hand who doesnt pay any tax wishes to receive the services for free. I just think its unjust on the tradesman.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
BKM You make a good point but the issue here is that the tradesman's tax money is going towards running the trains and on top of that he has to pay to use it. Yet you on the hand who doesnt pay any tax wishes to receive the services for free. I just think its unjust on the tradesman.
how do you expect them to pay tax when they can not find a job due to unflexible hours???

again what about school students they get free travel why should uni students not?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Oh, I still don't think it should be free for uni students.

Garygaz

HSC
It's called a chain, when she finishes uni and is paying full fairs her tax will be helping the new uni students get to uni cheaper. Welcome to the world of taxation.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
how do you expect them to pay tax when they can not find a job due to unflexible hours???

again what about school students they get free travel why should uni students not?
Because they are children. Adults choose to receive a university education, concession is an attempt by the government to encourage tertiary education.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I live at home but my parents don't give me money, and I'm at uni 5 days a week, all day. I don't qualify for youth allowance and am having trouble finding a job because my hours aren't flexible.

Of course the working tradesman doesn't deserve it, he's fucking working full time ie. MAKING MONEY. I PAY to go to uni.

You're an idiot.
The tradesman is working and paying taxes, so he/she is in a superior position here to decide where the money should go. The "fucking tradesman" is the one who probably funds half your education anyway (CSP).

Just because you go to uni and paying uni a fee doesn't necessary mean you are as valuable in society as the tradesman. Hence, you can't really say tradesman doesn't deserve a discount - he's/she's working, paying the full price AND paying for your personal choice.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I will be doing just the same when I work full time, that's how it works. Society also needs educated people, and obviously while they are studying full time they are not capable of paying the same taxes and prices for public transport.

Considering I will be a doctor upon completion of my university studies, I think society will benefit from their taxes helping pay for my travel concession. It's not about being more valuable, the unemployed also receive travel concessions, it's a reflection of capability to pay full fare, generally. (obviously different for the rich students)

edit: and no where did I say "fucking tradesman", you gronk, lol

spence

HSC
The tradesman is working and paying taxes, so he/she is in a superior position here to decide where the money should go. The "fucking tradesman" is the one who probably funds half your education anyway (CSP).

Just because you go to uni and paying uni a fee doesn't necessary mean you are as valuable in society as the tradesman. Hence, you can't really say tradesman doesn't deserve a discount - he's/she's working, paying the full price AND paying for your personal choice.
He doesn't deserve a discount because he works full time and doesn't need it. Uni students who don't work may not be able to afford paying full fare

HSC
Why? our taxes should be covering the costs of our shitty rail system. Anyone who actually believes that we should be paying for public transport is an idiot.
ur dreaming because the government will never put x amount of taxes towards public transport. although i agree with u.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I will be doing just the same when I work full time, that's how it works. Society also needs educated people, and obviously while they are studying full time they are not capable of paying the same taxes and prices for public transport.

Considering I will be a [strong]doctor[/strong] upon completion of my university studies, I think society will benefit from their taxes helping pay for my travel concession. It's not about being more valuable, the unemployed also receive travel concessions, it's a reflection of capability to pay full fare, generally. (obviously different for the rich students)
It's your particular unique case. Doctors are in the minority.

There is a massive amount of uni students who are studying, receiving concessions / CSP benefit etc, who I know will not contribute to the society (both taxes and progress) in the same manner as a doctor, engineering student, law student etc. I could name a whole lot of pointless degrees here, but I will refrain into going into this. Hence, I think it would be better off if everyone simply paid the full fare except the people in extremely disadvantaged/unusual situations.

edit: and no where did I say "fucking tradesman", you [strong]gronk[/strong], lol
Easy there with the personal attacks. Its not necessary. I will admit my mistake here, but you started swearing first.... be nice.

HSC
I totally agree with the conclusion

But I have to say that's only because international students don't have parents giving taxes to Australian government or simply they are not citizens, not, and shouldn't be because their families are rich enough and they should get reaped.

Asking sb to pay more only because he/she's richer is retarded.
Not to mention that assuming many international students are from elite families can be insulting to many. Almost all internationl students to Australia came from middle class, whoses parents worked their arse off to send their children abroad for better education and some are in DEBT.

Few "elite families" send children to Australia, they either stay in home countries because of "elite familiy businesses" or go to UK or US, where expenses are higher and middleclass can't afford.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
3. Any public transport in Sydney (I can only speak for Sydney) is pathetic. That includes both Cityrail and Sydney Buses. I would be happy to never qualify for a concession (I don't anyways) if the services were brought up to scratch from the extra income.
Guess what? Where I live, Sydney Buses' operations run at a profit. That means I'm paying more than what I should be paying while you are receiving a subsidy every time you take public transport.

But I'm not complaining, because I know its important that everyone has access to good pt.

So you really have no right to complain about paying for concession card holders' transport when someone else is paying for the majority of your transport costs.

And as for the point on a full time tradie, what utter bs. Do you that guy will have a lifetime tax contribution anywhere near that of an average uni graduate? Concession card holders do pay their fair share, just later in life.

MissSarajevo

HSC
Australia as a poor country cannot afford to provide cheap travels to International students unlike USA, UK and Western Europe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)