Travel - Which is better for a Uni student? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Should I be purchasing; day, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly train tickets for uni?

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Should I be purchasing; day, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly train tickets for uni?
I would say monthly or quarterly. That way if you lose the ticket its not going to cost you a fortune to replace it( as it would if you lost a yearly ticket), and you still save a lot of money compared to buying a daily or weekly ticket. :p

kcqn93

HSC
I get the quarterly to the City. Saves me about 60 bucks per semester.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends how many days you are at uni. If it's only a couple then probably daily. I bought weeklies when I had a 5 day week. Also factor in how often you'll use it for non-uni travel.

Yearly probably isnt worth it as you are only at uni for half the weeks in a year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For UNSW, remember you have to get a bus ticket as well. Get MyMulti tickets. I get them weekly.

If you're more responsible with your belongings, try a monthly or something else. But remember to be careful to figure out when semester breaks occur.

tl;dr For UNSW, MyMulti tickets. ALWAYS.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, this semester I was able to have the courses on four days. I'll go with the quarterly one for now, and change if see fit for next semester.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
For UNSW, remember you have to get a bus ticket as well. Get MyMulti tickets. I get them weekly.

If you're more responsible with your belongings, try a monthly or something else. But remember to be careful to figure out when semester breaks occur.

tl;dr For UNSW, MyMulti tickets. ALWAYS.
It's fairly expensive. In that case, I would need MyMulti 2.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
MyMulti2 weekly: $25.50

MyBus2 travel ten (Central to UNSW): $14

Liverpool to Central:
Weekly: $19.50
Monthly: $71.00
Quarterly: $195

Conclusion: Get MyMulti2

(However, if the free express bus from Green Square to UNSW continues to run next semester, a MyTrain ticket might be worth it)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's fairly expensive. In that case, I would need MyMulti 2.
Yes, but you will also need separate bus and train tickets if you don't want to get a MyMulti.

More often than not, the extra convenience of a MyMulti does it for me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want, you can test-drive arrangements for O-Week. Like for O-Week, I bought separate train and bus tickets... uhh, and I hated it. Took MyMulti after.

You have time to experiment anyway, so go with whatever you need.

HSC
MyMulti is so much more convenient, not to mention you also get to go on the prepay buses if you wish, so you don't have to spend extra time waiting for people to fiddle with their change. I find them just less hassle overall. I'll be getting a mymulti3 weekly, it's not so easy for me to drop $284 in one transaction, so the $30 for the week is going to be fine.

Also, with the mymulti passes (including the daily passes I believe) you'll be getting unlimited travel within your zone restrictions for the entire week, so it's not like you're only allocated 20 trips or so like some bus tickets do. So if you get the bus to UNSW, then you can also use the same ticket to hop on a train to Horsnby, then down to Hurstville, all within the same day with no extra fares. Of course where you can travel will depend on the zone, but seriously, mymultis are worth it if public transport is your only means of getting around.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you catch a train to UNSW always My Multi and you can only get concessions for weekly.

LOLXD

HSC
MyMulti2 weekly: $25.50

MyBus2 travel ten (Central to UNSW): $14

Liverpool to Central:
Weekly: $19.50
Monthly: $71.00
Quarterly: $195

Conclusion: Get MyMulti2

(However, if the free express bus from Green Square to UNSW continues to run next semester, a MyTrain ticket might be worth it)
Can't you just buy it for 1-2 stops from newsagent and rort the system to save $$?

itszen

HSC
For the monthly, quarterly, and yearly tickets, if you lose them you could always report it to cityrail with your receipt number and then they will mail your train ticket within 2 working days.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Can't you just buy it for 1-2 stops from newsagent and rort the system to save $$?
You could - many people have gotten away with it - but I heard that the Central to UNSW route is checked more often by transit officers (I've seen people complaining about getting caught on FB as well...). Not worth the risk for the $100 or $200 fine (not sure what it is).

Also, MyMulti2 is still more worth it weekly-wise and monthly-wise for this guy, even if he bought a MyBus1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)