Travelling to Thailand via Tour? (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Is it cheaper than going around yourself? Or going by Tour via group of people, or young people is better? Would it cost more and where's the best place to get tickets that isn't expensive when doing a tour? Student travels? This is for one of my friends, need opinions & help.

thanks

HSC
I'm going to thailand in june with a friend and we booked everything ourselves. we have booked flights, transfers, 9 nights accomodation + the tiger tour and travel insurance and it cost just under $1500. Which is cheeeeeap....

bearpaw

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Is it cheaper than going around yourself? Or going by Tour via group of people, or young people is better? Would it cost more and where's the best place to get tickets that isn't expensive when doing a tour? Student travels? This is for one of my friends, need opinions & help.

thanks
a mate of mine went on a tour to thailand last year and he said it was great because he met all these new people and didnt have to think about organising himself, but the downsides were leaving before he was ready, early morning starts and not being able to escape the company of annoying tourists from sweden.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
bearpaw said:
a mate of mine went on a tour to thailand last year and he said it was great because he met all these new people and didnt have to think about organising himself, but the downsides were leaving before he was ready, early morning starts and not being able to escape the company of annoying tourists from sweden.
Haahah at the Swiss, yeah they can be annoying, especially the Germans, they can be up your face when meeting them. Btw how much did your friend pay for the tour?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
go_swans said:
I'm going to thailand in june with a friend and we booked everything ourselves. we have booked flights, transfers, 9 nights accomodation + the tiger tour and travel insurance and it cost just under $1500. Which is cheeeeeap....

How you planning to go around cities by you and your friend? I know English is their 2nd language there, but I don't think everyone in Thailand speaks good English.

bearpaw

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Haahah at the Swiss, yeah they can be annoying, especially the Germans, they can be up your face when meeting them. Btw how much did your friend pay for the tour?
i cant really remember but i think he paid $2500 for his flights, tour, insurance etc and he only booked one month ahead of his trip. I'd ask him for you, but he left for thailand (again) today.

chicky_pie said:
How you planning to go around cities by you and your friend? I know English is their 2nd language there, but I don't think everyone in Thailand speaks good English.
If you've ever seen the movie The Beach how in the beginning theres that guy that gets Richard to drink snakes blood, yeah well there are people like that on the streets and they'll organise your shit for you for a small fee (200-500 baht apparently which works out to be like no more than $30)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Thailand is known more friendly as the "Land of Smiles" and whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll have no troubles with locals helping you, a lost fallung (white foreigner).

I have family in Bangkok, which made my last two visits easy, though my last one I got around by sky train and taxi, both extremely inexpensive, reliable, efficient, modern and clean.

Just don't head too far south, that's where the Muslims live and violence and crime against westerners is more common. And that's not being discriminatory.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
JaredR said:
Thailand is known more friendly as the "Land of Smiles" and whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll have no troubles with locals helping you, a lost fallung (white foreigner).

I have family in Bangkok, which made my last two visits easy, though my last one I got around by sky train and taxi, both extremely inexpensive, reliable, efficient, modern and clean.

Just don't head too far south, that's where the Muslims live and violence and crime against westerners is more common. And that's not being discriminatory.

Yeah you're right, they're crazy down South, they'll bomb anyone that doesn't worship their prophet. :apig:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i went to thailand for 13days and stayed primarily in phuket. there was a group of i think about 8 of us, and it cost around $2300-$2500 each with airfares, travelers insurance, accomodation, breakfast every day and all transfers.

It would depend on what you want to do, but if you are thinking of staying mostly in one place, you can book tours to different places (like around the islands or to sanctuarys up in the mountains) very easily when you are over there. it is much much cheaper to organise travel of this kind once you're in the country, there's little stalls all over the place that sell them and we managed to find one at a good price that was fantastic and not at all dodgy. We did a few different things, but whole day trips with all meals cost about $35.

I'm not sure how doing Thailand like this compares to doing a full tour staying in all different places though, which i guess is more what you are after

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Born Dancer said:
i went to thailand for 13days and stayed primarily in phuket. there was a group of i think about 8 of us, and it cost around $2300-$2500 each with airfares, travelers insurance, accomodation, breakfast every day and all transfers.

It would depend on what you want to do, but if you are thinking of staying mostly in one place, you can book tours to different places (like around the islands or to sanctuarys up in the mountains) very easily when you are over there. it is much much cheaper to organise travel of this kind once you're in the country, there's little stalls all over the place that sell them and we managed to find one at a good price that was fantastic and not at all dodgy. We did a few different things, but whole day trips with all meals cost about $35.

I'm not sure how doing Thailand like this compares to doing a full tour staying in all different places though, which i guess is more what you are after

What agency you went with? Flight centre? Online? Student travels? or just a local agency to book the tour.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i guess its a matter of shopping around. i would say that most of the big name travel agents are pretty price-competitive anyway, so there may not be much difference but defintiely get quotes from a few different places. you may find package deals better at some places rather than others

*hopeful*

HSC
I was looking to go to phuket in july so did alot of research, u can book a heap of things online but alot of people recommend waiting till u get there before booking tours because its cheaper

in terms of flights and accomodation, both qantas and jetstar offer packages which work out cheaper than agents and studentflights.com.au also has cheap flights/hotels/tours on offer

and definitely check out tripadvisor.com for reviews on hotels before booking any accomodation

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
*hopeful* said:
I was looking to go to phuket in july so did alot of research, u can book a heap of things online but alot of people recommend waiting till u get there before booking tours because its cheaper

in terms of flights and accomodation, both qantas and jetstar offer packages which work out cheaper than agents and studentflights.com.au also has cheap flights/hotels/tours on offer

and definitely check out tripadvisor.com for reviews on hotels before booking any accomodation
But wouldn't it be high season? I'm not sure though I know late June is low season, so practically it's less busy compared to high season with so many foreigners lol. How long you're staying at Phuket?

*hopeful*

HSC
Not going anymore but we were planning for between 9-12 days
not sure about the season but school holidays here are in the first half of july so we were looking at the second half when fares were much cheaper

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
definately go it yourself, it's easy. shop around instead of booking the first tour. with the tiger temple, elephant track and the zoo we got a taxi and went ourselves. for the 10 hours in the taxi it cost us only 2000 baht, which is roughly $60. so find your own way, and doing things yourself is much more enjoyable. i went to vietnam on a tour and it was nowhere near as good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)