TRIALS -- Is it too late to start writing up notes? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
Hey there,

My trials start week 4. I've got 23 days, 14 of which are school days, to study basically the ENTIRE Physics and Chem courses. (I've studied my other subjects throughout these holidays)

I've struggled through both classes and can't remember too much. I scanned through some papers and as of now I'd only get ~30% raw mark for either subject.

Now, my question is:

-- Is it too go late to begin writing up summaries for each course? And from then, do past papers?
-- OR...should I just refer to other people's summaries while doing heaps of past papers...starting now?

(I bought SuccessOne and Dotpoint for both subjects...none have been touched!)

Some advice would be great...cheers for reading :eek:

_j-sbugs_24

HSC
Hmm, in my opinion, if you think that you could get the summaries finished in time to be able to do 1 or 2 past papers for each course, then do it. Writing up my own dot point summaries for chemistry has helped me heaps in learning/memorising/understanding the material. But in saying that, you don't have a lot of time.

I would either type some up as quickly as possible, or go through your school notes with a packet of post-it notes/highlighters and mark all of the necessary information/dot points. Add to them if you need to, and make sure you have all of them. This way might be a time-saver.

Dot point summaries are the only way to study for these subjects, I've found.

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Same situation here.
I've done some note for my subjects but not all.

I don't have time to finish those notes (trials in week 3, + umat in week 2)
so for this trial exams, I might just go through the notes that my teacher gave & the resources downloaded from this site. And do past papersss

I might summarise my own notes after the trials (does that sound crazy? anyways - )

b0redAsian

HSC
bout time this website was back up, anyways i would give the same advice as j-sbugs 24
make some quick notes, easiest and quickiest is by highlighting school ntoes etc...

use this websites resources for verification, (if your on the right track)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
imo, get to actual studying such as past papers. if you can do notes in a week then fine, but ptherwise its just going to cut into valuable revision time better spent actually tackling questions.

intodisco

HSC
I am also in this situation, as im sure half of my year is too.
Having my trials in week 5, but I have 3 20% assessment task due before then.
I have already done summary's for half of my course, in all my subject (did them for the half yearly), but now I realise that after looking at other summary's from the BoS resource page, my summaries are not of good quality.
I have already done glossary terms for all the subjects, so I have read all of the textbook well enough to understand the concepts. Although I have done zero past papers or textbook questions, I do have a sound understanding of the topics.
Is it better for me to:
a) write out my own summaries, or
b) use other peoples summaries and synthesis them into my own,
c) or just do past papers and textbook questions?
(just a rewording of the OP's orginal question)

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
^
if I were you
a) I wouldn't write out the summaries now. Writing summaries of your own helps to remember and understand the material but time is an issue in this case

b) sounds good, that's what I would do

c) ya

thus do b) & c)

Brontecat

HSC
depends upon how you learn really, i'd be better off writing my own summaries using the textbook and my classwork than doing past papers - which is my plan for studying for my trials which are in week 6-7 :)

anulik

HSC
well, making your own notes is pretty effective, however it takes a LOT of time.
I would advise you for now , just get other people's notes from this website, learn them, and apply to the PAST PAPERS.
I have done that for my last topic for physics, cause I didnt manage to write up notes, I just got other notes and studied. I know, its not as effective as doing your own notes, but its the best thing to do at this point of time. Past papers are far more important, so just do them!!

Pyramid

HSC
Cheers guys.

Since I've got no hope of writing up notes for both courses within say, 10 days, I think I'll just get stuck into some past papers. :jedi:

assiduous

HSC
Cheers guys.

Since I've got no hope of writing up notes for both courses within say, 10 days, I think I'll just get stuck into some past papers. :jedi:
WOW!
I've only actually started making notes for economics and chemistry these holidays.

SO from what i gather from others, people are using other people's notes and synthesising into their own and using past papers?

Is this what i should do for physics, chemistry, economics?
use other's notes + past papers?

beardedwoman

HSC
it should take you roughly 45-50 hours of dedicated study to do all the dot points for chem + phys. with distraction is like 2-3 times longer so maybe 90-150 hours?

Pyramid

HSC
it should take you roughly 45-50 hours of dedicated study to do all the dot points for chem + phys. with distraction is like 2-3 times longer so maybe 90-150 hours?
In 23 days, 60 hours is definetly achievable.

I was trying to make a guesstimate myself. Can I ask how you came up with that figure? Are you speaking from experience?

Not trying to have a go at you...It's just that I'm really trying to weigh things up here :jedi:

Cabenson

HSC
In 23 days, 60 hours is definetly achievable.

I was trying to make a guesstimate myself. Can I ask how you came up with that figure? Are you speaking from experience?

Not trying to have a go at you...It's just that I'm really trying to weigh things up here :jedi:
But then you don't have much time to go over the dot points so hmmm

intodisco

HSC
Thanks Maplestory for your answer (and others :))
Im just wondering, which past papers should I do? Im thinking of doing the past 9 BOS HSC papers, but there is also many past school trial papers as well. Also, I have Excel 'Revise in a month HSC' and Excel HSC complete course books (the step by step guide to HSC success), are these worth my time, or should I just focus on summary's then past papers and maybe some textbook questions too?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
depends on which subjects

i could give u some if you like.

Pyramid

HSC
Do the CSSA/independent trial exams for Physics and Chemistry include the elective modules, or just the 3 core modules?

bouncing

HSC
um if you're getting 30~ raw then you should probably make notes. or AT THE VERY LEAST read over other peoples notes there are quite a few good ones on the resources part of the site you'll need them for HSC anyway so it shouldnt be TOO late perhaps just read off others for trials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)