Trials vs hsc (1 Viewer)

Render777

HSC
N/A
When you do your trials in term 3 is it scaled? I know that the external HSC exams are scaled however are the raw marks you receive scaled in the trials?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
When you do your trials in term 3 is it scaled? I know that the external HSC exams are scaled however are the raw marks you receive scaled in the trials?
The trials are not scaled.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It would be up to the school as the schools set and mark the trial so what they do with the marks is also up to them.

Many schools use the CSSA or Independent trials but it is still the schools that 'set' (or in those cases choose) the trial papers. By the way schools don't have to do trials at all although again most do.

nightweaver066

HSC
Depends on your school.

Scaling was applied to one of my trial exams at my school.

fishrushed

HSC
With trials and other school assessments, aren't ranks all that matters?
So would there be a point in scaling if ranks are what matters? Because it doesn't really matter if you're scaled up or down since you would still receive the same rank provided that the scaling system is fair.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
trails are not scaled. For example its just like doing a normal test like the mid years. When you get the paper back you will only get a scaled mark out of a 100%. However for the HSC when you do the paper the marking centre will keep the paper and you will only see the alligned mark on the sheet they mail you. However, you can request the raw mark out of 100% from the marking centre by purchasing it. In the HSC say for example chem you need approximately 72% raw mark (it fluctuates from year to year) to get 90 alligned mark. at School however you will only see the 72%, the teachers dont touch the mark you receive

Deliriously

HSC
The trials are not scaled as they are part of a school assessment mark (along with your assessments, mid yearlies etc). However, the school assessment mark will be moderated according to the marks achieved by the students in the actual HSC.

v1

HSC
trials can be scaled depending on your school. If it is scaled then the relative ranks should still stay the same so there is actually no difference.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Some schools scale all assessment tasks to a set mean and standard deviation while others do that to the final marks only and others do it to some tasks and not others and others don't do anything at all. It is up to the school and school alone whether or not there is any scaling done to the trial marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)