Tricking / Martial Arts (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
Anyone heard of tricking or X-treme Martial Arts?
it's starting to get quite popular..

It's basically a combination of gymnastics, breakdancing and various disciplines of martial arts .. but all the focus is on specific moves such as backflips, kicks (mainly from taekwondo), aerial cartwheels (no-handed), butterfly twists (wushu) and some Capoeira techniques.

Although it's not very useful in defensive situations, it does look really cool, and anyone can learn it!

here are some small examples:
Aerial

540 Crescent Kick (from taekwondo)

Masterswipe (from capoeira)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
yeah I did that back in highschool for a bit. managed a backward somersault.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I've had no formal training in anything. Just played soccer and did the occasional athletics carnival a few times. Mainly the short sprints and the jump events.

repz

HSC
actually i have seen a couple of people use it in tournaments
i guess it depends on what move you decide to do
ive seen a flipping wheel kick thats ko'ed some guy
if anyone has ever seen some of the old karate championship fights
look for the one with billy blanks
the guy from tae bo
he ko'd some guy with a jumpin wheel kick to win the championship

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Jase said:
Anyone heard of tricking or X-treme Martial Arts?
it's starting to get quite popular..

It's basically a combination of gymnastics, breakdancing and various disciplines of martial arts .. but all the focus is on specific moves such as backflips, kicks (mainly from taekwondo), aerial cartwheels (no-handed), butterfly twists (wushu) and some Capoeira techniques.

Although it's not very useful in defensive situations, it does look really cool, and anyone can learn it!
from those images its clear that they've been derived from all that u've mentioned....

yeh it does look cool... however, why do u think it's not very useful in defensive situations... its more than useful... once one gets to master any form of martial arts... u can do alot of damage.. (of course only in self defence situations)

the moves in the images above are more than useful in real life situations... although the last one... hmm... that would take alot of unrequired movement...

butterfly twist.... hmmm is that derived from the butterfly kick... i've seen it done many times in taekwondo demonstrations... except ur not allowed to use it in battle... u would probably kill ur oponent... literally

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
i've seen a 540 (not crescent 540) being used in a tournament fight. right on the head... floored the guy instantly. the 540 gives you so much momentum.

Jase

HSC
well.. self-defence trains the art of self-defence in particular.. that is protecting your body and attacking with some sort of discipline.

I'd say tricking is more.. as the name suggests "a trick".. a sort of glorified acrobatics. It's not made for attacking or defending.. but you could scare off attackers i guess.

and yeah the butterfly twist is like a butterfly kick but with a 360 degree spin during airtime.

The moves themselves however are definately potentially dangerous. but they have to be taught through actual martial-art training.

tempco

HSC
physician said:
however, why do u think it's not very useful in defensive situations... its more than useful... once one gets to master any form of martial arts... u can do alot of damage.. (of course only in self defence situations)
most of the moves don't give you firm footing, and your centre of gravity is shifting around too much for any of these moves to be practical and effective. this is for defensive situations (not tournament fighting), since the last thing you'd want is to lose your balance - which happens a lot when doing these tricks.

repz

HSC
but yeh in the streets, its a different ball game.
so it would be ineffective, the guy would probably move away and throw a rock at ya or something. lol

dive246

my friends used to do a lot of tricking at school in frees. simple stuff like flash kicks, b twists, aerials etc. its an awesome thing to watch... n then try when u have as much gymnastic ability as myself... none, but i did manage a wallflip. have a looksee at the videos on trickstutorials.com they have some pretty killer videos n can teach you how to learn some of the moves. spinning n backflips r pretty essential.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i did some of that stuff for a little while as well.

landed bhs, bkicks and a valdez...k so they're not really "tricking" moves per se but i could never find a gym to practice properly. Might start that back up at uni.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i was wondering why those clips look vaguely familar, they're from hightricks ( Sydney Boys? ). the maker of the site is Jerry, an advocate of 'tricking' at High, and i did a few tricks with him but not any videos.

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
Don't do that crap, learn something useful like Thai Kickboxing, Boxing, Brazilian JiuJitsu or Krav Maga.

Watching someone get in the ring, exchange blow for blow, take a few elbows to the face, kicks to the thigh, et cetera, is more impressive than some back-flipping Kung Fu boy who wouldn't last one round in the ring.

Seriously, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate (With the possible exception of Kyokushin), et cetera, are all completely useless. They have failed time after time in the ring.

If you're gonna learn something that difficult, it may as well be useful too. I do Thai Kickboxing (Muay Thai), it's a bit painful at times, but at least it's practical... and it can look quite impressive if you go on to study the more ancient form.

Check out a movie called Ong Bak, it's Thai with subtitled english. The guy in it does ancient Muay Thai (Commonly called Muay Boran). Some say he'll be the next Bruce Lee. I think you'll like it.

And maybe try downloading the highlights video of Ramon Dekker... in my opinion, the best kickboxer of all time (200 Fights, 175 Wins, 90 by KO). He could have kicked Bruce Lee's ass.

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
^ he also does a lot of tricking in that movie.

I highly doubt fulltwist backflip is considered "practical".

Keep up your work trickers!

santaslayer

HSC
I do wushu and we do have the first two moves incprporated into our forms. The last one looks weird.

Jase

HSC
yeah ong bak is an awesome movie.. but Tony Jaa is primarily stuntsman before fighter, sorta like Jackie Chan. Real muay thai isn't as flashy as that inside the ring. alot of the moves were all tricks..

here's a nice masterswipe: Masterswipe (tiny wmv)

butterfly twist with extra kick: Butterfly Twist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)