• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Trig Problem (2 Viewers)

lolokay

HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok. I see what you did. I shouldn't have assumed it then (the angles of the triangle).
so you assumed the 230m was on a bearing of 90 degrees or something?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
so you assumed the 230m was on a bearing of 90 degrees or something?
Well, yeah. I assumed the straight line as just 'straight' and that's probably why I got the wrong answer.

By the way, how do you know all this? Are you accelerated or something?

lolokay

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, yeah. I assumed the straight line as just 'straight' and that's probably why I got the wrong answer.

I'm not accelerated. We got this same question in class; I didn't think it was very hard though (it just depends on whether you see to use the ratios of x to y, which I straight away did). I don't think there is much to 'know'.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
I'm not accelerated. We got this same question in class; I didn't think it was very hard though (it just depends on whether you see to use the ratios of x to y, which I straight away did). I don't think there is much to 'know'.
Ok. I thought you did not get to learn this topic until you get into the HSC stage.

lolokay

HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok. I thought you did not get to learn this topic until you get into the HSC stage.
Nah. It was posted in the prelim section afterall. Just basic trig concepts. (though maybe you're thinking of a different topic?)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
Nah. It was posted in the prelim section afterall. Just basic trig concepts. (though maybe you're thinking of a different topic?)
Well. When I was in the acceleration class, we were going through the topic so quickly that we didn't get to learn many of the preliminary materials. I learnt that during my HSC year. So...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:

It's the wording of the question that is ambiguous, I assumed that it was a straight line as well.

lolokay

HSC
tommykins said:
It's the wording of the question that is ambiguous, I assumed that it was a straight line as well.
Does straight line ever refer specifically to a 090* bearing though? I'm not sure, but to me it seems as though the question isn't ambiguous, it's just that it may cause you to assume wrongly.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lolokay said:
Does straight line ever refer specifically to a 090* bearing though? I'm not sure, but to me it seems as though the question isn't ambiguous, it's just that it may cause you to assume wrongly.
Yeah I'll just say I assumed wrongly, I cannot be bothered explaining myself.

Thanks for the solution however, kudos to you - great job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)