trouble with accg units.... (1 Viewer)

Catastrophe

HSC
i just transfered into accg, and i couldnt do accg100 in first semester, now only stuck with accg105. however, even if i do 105 now, since 101 is a 2nd sem unit, this means the earliest i can get into 200level units is 3rd yr of uni.....

anyone faced with a similar problem and what should i do?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
yeh mate happens to everyone who transfers...
best thing id do is do all your unrelated accg subjects and then do 100 next semester, and 101 the semester after...
youll graduate a year later too

Catastrophe

HSC
that means it'll take 4 yrs instead of 3 for me to graduate???? this sux!
accg100 is 1st sem only and 101 being 2nd sem only?

any other way to fix this? i heard about using waivers but dont know how it works..

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
yeh exactly... its what happens if you dont get into the course you want to, or if you change your mind...
as yellow brick says you can do the summer school thing...
or if your real lucky
ask to see if you can get waiver or whatever you need, and i do 105 and 101 this semester...
i doubt theyd let you but its worth a try

Catastrophe

HSC
i couldnt do accg100 when i was in e-business as it requires me to be in b com accg to do it. whats the summer school thing? do i have to go to uni durin december?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
summer school is just classes during the 3 month holidays... costs a lil more too... and its meant to be easier

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
yellowbrick said:
EDIT: no offense Catastrophe, but it really shits me how people get a shit uai and still manage to get into a uni course and then enroll in the subjects of their choice(stupid admin at mac doesn't even check they're doing different units to their degree) and then get the gpa to transfer and do it without delaying any time coz they chose the subjects they needed from their wanted degree. It sucks coz most pple worked their asses to the bone to get that uai, whist some just did minimal work and will end with the same degree at the same time. Catastrophe this may not be your case, but i'm just saying this shits me in general
you need 2 take a fucking chill pill mate

i worked my arse off in yr 12 and missed out my course by .3! (i needed 89, got 88.7) i worked my arse off at uni, picked the right subjects so if i could transfer i wouldnt waste anytime. and guess what??? I TRANSFERRED!!!

does this make me a bad person? are you better than me because u got in with ur uai???

ur forgetting that its the hsc which is fucked and not MQ uni. if ppl like catastrophe and me can transfer, not drop out and finish our degree, i think it proves how the uai is nothing but a number which rewards ppl who are either really good at maths, english or pick high scaling subjects

we are at uni now, time to get over the hsc

Catastrophe

HSC
fornstar said:
you need 2 take a fucking chill pill mate

i worked my arse off in yr 12 and missed out my course by .3! (i needed 89, got 88.7) i worked my arse off at uni, picked the right subjects so if i could transfer i wouldnt waste anytime. and guess what??? I TRANSFERRED!!!

does this make me a bad person? are you better than me because u got in with ur uai???

ur forgetting that its the hsc which is fucked and not MQ uni. if ppl like catastrophe and me can transfer, not drop out and finish our degree, i think it proves how the uai is nothing but a number which rewards ppl who are either really good at maths, english or pick high scaling subjects

we are at uni now, time to get over the hsc
yea...i didnt get in straight away just cos of bad subject choices in yr11.

anyway, how much does summer school cost? is there still a break in december ?cos i need to go overseas. the workload is much less since theres only 1 subject as opposed to 4 right?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yellowbrick, everything is a game. playing it smartly is not a bad thing.

i'd say, weaseling into courses is an art. BUT there are lines that are crossed. let me explain, making fake excuses and doing supplementary exams is wrong imo. chosing a different degree, acheiving the minimum needed to transfer is smart. its all a matter of perspective. people end up where they deserve.

Far_Q

HSC
Catastrophe said:
i just transfered into accg, and i couldnt do accg100 in first semester, now only stuck with accg105. however, even if i do 105 now, since 101 is a 2nd sem unit, this means the earliest i can get into 200level units is 3rd yr of uni.....

anyone faced with a similar problem and what should i do?
Hey, i'm in a similar situation, according to the undergraduate handbook, the prerequisites for 200 lvl accg units require u to attain a P grade in accg105 or a P grade in accg101...which means after getting a P grade or better in accg105 then u will be able to do most of the 200 lvl accg subjects...

It's confusing why they let u do 200 lvl subjects by only doing accg105 without accg101, they say 105 is equivalent to accg100 but I guess 105 might cover topics in more depth?...

Also some of the 200 lvl accg subjects has Isys, acst and econ prerequisites as well so make sure u do so e of these this semester...

Catastrophe

HSC
yellowbrick said:
I know dozens of pple that did it anyway, THEY DO NOT CHECK! If you enrolled it in it nobody would have stopped you, since you are doing ebus
err, when i enroled in feb, they DID CHECK, they told me it was a mistake on the program and pointed out the prereq, which just being in e-business doesnt meet the requirements.

btw, i read the prereqs for accg250, it only need accg105 and any 100level comp/isys units (i did comp115)

however, accg200 and 201 requires bba103, but i cant enrol in bba103...

ACCG201: Preqrequisites: ACCG105(P) or ACCG101(P) or ACCG100(P) and ACCG101 or ACCG105 and BBA103 and 30cp

BBA103: Preqrequisites: Entry to BBA or BeBus, BIntBus or BHRM

since i've transfered to accg, is there some mistake here? or it is possible to transfer again lol? into B COM ACCG/BBA...

Far_Q

HSC
Catastrophe said:
err, when i enroled in feb, they DID CHECK, they told me it was a mistake on the program and pointed out the prereq, which just being in e-business doesnt meet the requirements.

btw, i read the prereqs for accg250, it only need accg105 and any 100level comp/isys units (i did comp115)

however, accg200 and 201 requires bba103, but i cant enrol in bba103...

ACCG201: Preqrequisites: ACCG105(P) or ACCG101(P) or ACCG100(P) and ACCG101 or ACCG105 and BBA103 and 30cp

BBA103: Preqrequisites: Entry to BBA or BeBus, BIntBus or BHRM

since i've transfered to accg, is there some mistake here? or it is possible to transfer again lol? into B COM ACCG/BBA...
I'm pretty sure u don't have to do bba103 unless u pc'ed or fail accg105...as long as u get a P or better grade in accg105 then u have met the prereqs for lvl 200 accg subjects...

Catastrophe

HSC
who can i ask in the accg division? so they can give me advice as to how to complete the program within 3 yrs.

Far_Q

HSC
Just follow this sequence http://www.accg.mq.edu.au/html/pdf/programsp3.pdf.

This sequence says that u will need an extra semester to complete ur degree, but since they're just electives, u can do them over the summer course, but if you've already done the lvl 100 electives from first semester then u can fill up the 2 lvl 100 elective spots with lvl 200 or lvl 300 subjects. That way u will finish on time.

Catastrophe

HSC
well, according to that pdf, how can u do accg200 in 1st yr without doing accg101?
its a prereq.

anyway, i checked all those requirements and made a plan as to how to finish my degree in 3 yrs...tho there is still some problems with it

year 1

1st semester

econ110
comp115
stat170
mktg101

(all passed)

2nd semester

econ111
econ141
acst101
accg105

year 2

1st semester

accg250
busl250
elective

2nd semester

accg101
accg253
busl301

year 3

1st semester

accg200
accg201
accg310
accg323

2nd semester

accg330
accg340
accg353
busl320

any suggestions on how to fill in the blanks in 2nd yr, and the overcrowding in 3rd yr?

G DIDDY

HSC
redruM said:
yellowbrick, everything is a game. playing it smartly is not a bad thing.

i'd say, weaseling into courses is an art. BUT there are lines that are crossed. let me explain, making fake excuses and doing supplementary exams is wrong imo. chosing a different degree, acheiving the minimum needed to transfer is smart. its all a matter of perspective. people end up where they deserve.
Yeah dude I so have to agree with that comment and you'll realise how true it is when you start looking for job or start working. I know a chick who failed 7 out of 8 subjects 1st year, and she had to complete ACCG100 and ACCG101 twice. I think her GPA would been around 1.7 to 1.8 and she got a job in Funds Management at Colonial First State with jsut B Com - Accg.

Half of my brothers friends who graduated this year from UNSW, Macq and U Syd struggled their way into jobs with GPA's of 2.5 plus.

So it just shows some times to get want you have to weasel your way in. But seriously your UAI will always come into the equation when going for a job. Most employees look at Grads' 300,400, 500 level subjects and their UAI cause they are the most important.

And most people which transfer tend to struggle when they start their course, especially when they go from an easy one to a harder one.

cr in accg

HSC
yellowbrick said:
weren't you doing e-business before? if so you had a choice btwn accg100 and accg105 as a core. I f u knew u were going to transfer u should've just chosen 100.
your solution is staring you in the face.....yeah do accg105 this semester, and do accg101 in summer school. It's the only option you have to getting your accg degree on time!!

EDIT: no offense Catastrophe, but it really shits me how people get a shit uai and still manage to get into a uni course and then enroll in the subjects of their choice(stupid admin at mac doesn't even check they're doing different units to their degree) and then get the gpa to transfer and do it without delaying any time coz they chose the subjects they needed from their wanted degree. It sucks coz most pple worked their asses to the bone to get that uai, whist some just did minimal work and will end with the same degree at the same time. Catastrophe this may not be your case, but i'm just saying this shits me in general
You're a moron!! shut your mouth, these days you need a uai of >85 to get into BA, and heaps of ppl just miss out in getting into B Com, the only reason they are missing out is because more people are wanting to get into uni now - more GREEDY people like YOURSELF who think its just for the elite, whilst these people worked just as hard and missed out, imagine the pressure.

and NO OFFENCE but most of ppl who transfer into accg after a semester know the importance of it and hence fail less subjects than the smart arses who think they are Gods Gift!

and im not sorry if i offended u because u shit me!!!

cr in accg

HSC
G DIDDY said:
Yeah dude I so have to agree with that comment and you'll realise how true it is when you start looking for job or start working. I know a chick who failed 7 out of 8 subjects 1st year, and she had to complete ACCG100 and ACCG101 twice. I think her GPA would been around 1.7 to 1.8 and she got a job in Funds Management at Colonial First State with jsut B Com - Accg.

Half of my brothers friends who graduated this year from UNSW, Macq and U Syd struggled their way into jobs with GPA's of 2.5 plus.

So it just shows some times to get want you have to weasel your way in. But seriously your UAI will always come into the equation when going for a job. Most employees look at Grads' 300,400, 500 level subjects and their UAI cause they are the most important.

And most people which transfer tend to struggle when they start their course, especially when they go from an easy one to a harder one.

you're wrong, your UAI means practically nothing when getting a job in accounting, and your marks dont differentiate u from another that mush. It's called communication and a good personality that gets u jobs not necessarily HD's

cr in accg

HSC
yellowbrick said:
lets see, sounds like your the one who needs a chill pill

i'm sure you think you worked your arse off. ur the exact type of person that pisses me off, of how you work your way around the system. I dont really care about your "guess what??? I TRANSFERRED!!!" boasting shit.

no, ur not a bad person. I wasn't referring to people who miss out by point of something, especially if the uai cut off is a high one....that doesn't piss me off.
I dont like it when they get in with a pathetic mark, and weasel into a course without any academic penalty.

and yes we are at uni now, a place that shouldn't be with people like you who choose the units that are only for a specific degree, not the one your enrolled in
Well guess what. you're at macq uni, the university that is most flexible to transfer degrees. So get used to it. and btw u contradicted urself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)