Trouble with centrelink (1 Viewer)

kalli

HSC
Everyone has had trouble with Centrelink at one time or another.

I moved out of home just after I turned 18. I was living in Melbourne and my parents were living in Coffs Harbour.

While trying to prove to Centrelink that I was independent, they asked me a whole heap of stupid questions such as:
- How long does it take to walk to the family home?
- Is there public transport available?
- Show clearly on a map the quickest route to the family home.

Basically I printed out a map of Australia and circled Melbourne, then Coffs Harbour and wrote down the bottom "You walk there and let me know how long it takes."

Centrelink is bureaucracy on steroids.

11sharn11

HSC
I've been fairly well screwed over by centrelink (yeah, this can be an outlet for me to rage about it)

After filling out all the forms, both online and at the office (along with my parents, who were fully convinced that we would qualify), we got a letter with no real detail, just "rejected". Apparently my parents earn too much, and the limit for parental income (according to my aunt who works at centrelink) is some ridiculous amount, along the lines of 45k combined.

Since i'm not yet 18, i'm dependant whether I like it or not, and whilst my parents will buy me essentials, they now refuse to support my lifestyle. Couple that with an INSANELY heavy workload (although that is my fault, there are many others in the same position) and there's no way i'm going to be able to continue studying if nothing changes.

Now, I have no income whatsoever, and this rejection is simply getting on my nerves. But that's not the worst of it.

EVERY DAY i've tried to ring the number to get the claim reconsidered. and every day, nothing. Nothing but an engaged tone. I've sent emails, letters, and am now about to embark on a ridiculous game of phone tag, going through general enquiries to see if they can help. It's almost not worth it.

Meanwhile my friends are getting "free money" because of YA, as well as the bonus provided to said friends and anyone else eligable.

I've no idea how my friend did it, but if she can get through, I'm sure as hell gunna get this damn money! (We've never asked centrelink for anything! How is it that this ONCE...)

*sigh* Anyway, wish me luck as I prepare to do battle with the big guys!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I've been fairly well screwed over by centrelink (yeah, this can be an outlet for me to rage about it)

After filling out all the forms, both online and at the office (along with my parents, who were fully convinced that we would qualify), we got a letter with no real detail, just "rejected". Apparently my parents earn too much, and the limit for parental income (according to my aunt who works at centrelink) is some ridiculous amount, along the lines of 45k combined.

Since i'm not yet 18, i'm dependant whether I like it or not, and whilst my parents will buy me essentials, they now refuse to support my lifestyle. Couple that with an INSANELY heavy workload (although that is my fault, there are many others in the same position) and there's no way i'm going to be able to continue studying if nothing changes.

Now, I have no income whatsoever, and this rejection is simply getting on my nerves. But that's not the worst of it.

EVERY DAY i've tried to ring the number to get the claim reconsidered. and every day, nothing. Nothing but an engaged tone. I've sent emails, letters, and am now about to embark on a ridiculous game of phone tag, going through general enquiries to see if they can help. It's almost not worth it.

Meanwhile my friends are getting "free money" because of YA, as well as the bonus provided to said friends and anyone else eligable.

I've no idea how my friend did it, but if she can get through, I'm sure as hell gunna get this damn money! (We've never asked centrelink for anything! How is it that this ONCE...)

*sigh* Anyway, wish me luck as I prepare to do battle with the big guys!
get a job

Grissom

HSC
People are so naive

Sure, there are some people who spend their money on crap, but deal with it.
Centrelink is my only income currently. I use that money to pay electricity, food, medical etc and it's hard. I started work young, so I managed to save enough so that I could take off a few months during the HSC. The only thing my mother helps me with is a roof over my head. Obviously if she could help out more she would, but this isn't possible.

Try and make ends meet with jus 350 a fortnight. It's a fricken joke.
I get Centrelink because my Mum can't afford to support me. If your parents are over the threshold, obviously they can. Tell them to suck it up. No one forced them to have kids.

Must be a real struggle to be living at home on 350 a fortnight.

Peartie

HSC
EVERY DAY i've tried to ring the number to get the claim reconsidered. and every day, nothing. Nothing but an engaged tone.
when ive been calling for the last few months thats the same for me - just keep hanging up and trying it eventually calls....they claim nothings wrong but it makes me wonder, i thought it was just my phone or something....

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
guys. jsut get a part time job.

20 hours on the weekend.. that's about $300-400 or so to spend for the week. Alternatievl yyou can do what I do and work 10horus 1 week and 20hours every other week.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
guys. jsut get a part time job.

20 hours on the weekend.. that's about $300-400 or so to spend for the week. Alternatievl yyou can do what I do and work 10horus 1 week and 20hours every other week.
I'm trying in fucking vain to get a part time job, there's almost nothing available right now. And not everyone's employer will be that flexible.

I don't get centrelink while some people I know just bludge around on benefits, not even bothering to look for a job and i can't find a job and am going to have to drop out of uni soon if i can't, as my parent's will only pay for my food and rent at home- I CAN'T AFFORD TEXTBOOKS OR TRANSPORT

sorry, I am just very stressed and not sure what to do.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I was in the same problem.

I was forced independent by the Government and Centrelink because my current house hold was to violent.

It took one try to get the Youth Allowance because i gave them the bogus claims my mother and step father had against me.

If you cant claim Youth Allowance, Try for Aus Study, you meet all the criteria from what i can read. If you get that, claim Rent Assistance because your obviously paying rent.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I'm trying in fucking vain to get a part time job, there's almost nothing available right now. And not everyone's employer will be that flexible.

I don't get centrelink while some people I know just bludge around on benefits, not even bothering to look for a job and i can't find a job and am going to have to drop out of uni soon if i can't, as my parent's will only pay for my food and rent at home- I CAN'T AFFORD TEXTBOOKS OR TRANSPORT

sorry, I am just very stressed and not sure what to do.

Newstart and AusStudy are two good bets, you can tell them your looking for a job or tell them your currently studying and you cant make ends meet because Textbook prices are ridicules and you can barely afford transport.

I know textbooks are a bitch to buy, im still in highschool and the bastards are fetching around 70 each and they demand to have them or fail the subject.

Cockheads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)