Troubling memorising? (1 Viewer)

TomTom123

HSC
Im not sure what it is but I cannot memories my belonging effects properly. I can memorises my quotes and techniques but trying to memorises the effects especially the contrast of 'in the folk museum' with '10 Mary street' for instance for the use of random imagery notes 'in the folk museum' "box, iron, shoulder yoke tableland heritage to remind me of what a past which isnt mine" the composer's use of listing emits a droned atmosphere which signifies the sense of disconnection the persona feels this is juxtaposted to the use of imagery at '10 mary street' whereby the use of imagery comes to represent positive affiliation felt by the persona towards his Polish culture "we kept prewar Europe alive through embracing gestures and heated discusions, kielbasa, salt herrings, rye bread" the use of imagery combined with the use of simile suggests a strong affiliation the persona feels

any tips?

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, shouldn't be your essay be what YOU think of the effect of the technique/quote? If so, shouldn't it be relatively easy to know (or at least identify should you forget in the exam) the effect of said technique/quote - if you wrote your own essay? It doesn't need to be word for word - it can be verbatim.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just make is up in the exam.
It's pretty easy.
If your quote has alliteration of 's' then it would represent the 's' sounds in the environment to the responder and hence, would be used to show something in the scene that makes that sound and emphasise it.

HelenaJean

HSC
acroyms can help (ridiculous or rude one's are the easiest to remember i find), repetition it and abusing all your senses with it (read, write, listen, talk, discuss with others etc) are good ways to memorise.

Or just go off what you think, you can write just about anything in an English exam if you can back it up with language techniques and whatnot.
Write down what YOU think the effects are, then back it up and use that in your exam.It's much easier to remember your own work than some strangers.
Last year i had a study day with Peter Skrzynecki (sat the English exams last year) and he said almost all content studied from his work was utter bullshit. E.G. He didn't talk about his father's dog and foreign plants in Feliks Skrzycki to symbolise loyalty, he just had a dog and a garden (like most families, foreign or not).
good luck!

D94

HSC
N/A
Rote learning. But really, you need to adapt it on the spot. Your quote may not even be useful for the question asked, so what happens then...? You should remember a database of quotes, and knowing the techniques should be instant. Then you should adapt it to the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)