Tuition Hours per Week (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
yes they do and is it worth it? no

the amount of money is not worth the return, just like a mac... or a private jet
Only the parents can decide whether if it was worth it or not. Not you.

Well seeing their children have more future opportunities and a better future than them is enough, no?

iBibah

HSC
Only the parents can decide whether if it was worth it or not. Not you.

Well seeing their children have more future opportunities and a better future than them is enough, no?
+1 It's different for every person. If the student takes advantage and puts in his all, then it will be worth it. But if he goes because his parents make him, then it's not worth it.

enoilgam

HSC
+1 It's different for every person. If the student takes advantage and puts in his all, then it will be worth it. But if he goes because his parents make him, then it's not worth it.
This. I tutor 7-10 and the first thing I ask every student before taking them on is whether or not they are willing to do tutoring, or if they are just doing it because their parents are forcing them. I know this is very blunt, but I'm not going to waste my time and their money tutoring someone who is unwilling. As carrot said in his previous post, the student is pulling the load - if they dont want to pull it, adding wheels isnt going to make a difference.

FreeLearner

HSC
This. I tutor 7-10 and the first thing I ask every student before taking them on is whether or not they are willing to do tutoring, or if they are just doing it because their parents are forcing them. I know this is very blunt, but I'm not going to waste my time and their money tutoring someone who is unwilling. As carrot said in his previous post, the student is pulling the load - if they dont want to pull it, adding wheels isnt going to make a difference.
SPOT ON, no point getting tutored if your not actually going to work hard and study, tutor is someone that essentially puts you in the right direction, you have to take it from there.

Wentworth

HSC
yes they do and is it worth it? no

the amount of money is not worth the return, just like a mac... or a private jet
i know a kid who got tutored 7 hrs a week, her family wasn't particularly rich but they invested in her education..she does med now. I don't think it's right to say 'tutoring is completely worthless unless you're a complete idiot'... the hsc isn't about measuring intelligence, it's a game we're all playing to get into uni eventually, tutoring can help you gain the competitive advantage.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I was tutored 9 hours a week consistently throughout prelim and the HSC. Best investment ever. The people/role models/ideals/work ethics (and also new friends!) gained was invaluable. I found it a fun and rewarding experience, personally. Going to Truong was the best thing ever =D

Just my experience though!

HSC
if you want to get somewhere, you can get there without somebody holding your hand for 10k/year

i agree, tutoring does help somewhat but i still think it's a waste of money and pretty much sticks a middle finger to the teachers who have been mentoring you for the past 2 years

people who 'pull the weight' are generally motivated and would get their desired results irrespective of whether or not they receive tutoring - same with the unmotivated

again... i think it's simply not worth the money

jusydoodle

HSC
I was tutored 9 hours a week consistently throughout prelim and the HSC. Best investment ever. The people/role models/ideals/work ethics (and also new friends!) gained was invaluable. I found it a fun and rewarding experience, personally. Going to Truong was the best thing ever =D

Just my experience though!
I can't agree more with this! :) Though it was tiring sometimes, it was definitely worthwhile.

iBibah

HSC
if you want to get somewhere, you can get there without somebody holding your hand for 10k/year

i agree, tutoring does help somewhat but i still think it's a waste of money and pretty much sticks a middle finger to the teachers who have been mentoring you for the past 2 years

people who 'pull the weight' are generally motivated and would get their desired results irrespective of whether or not they receive tutoring - same with the unmotivated

again... i think it's simply not worth the money
It doesn't mean anything against your teachers. But teachers have 25 other students in the class to worry about, and more classes, where as if you get tutored your getting the attention you might need to go that little bit further.

It really depends on the student and tutor. If the student is willing to learn and work hard, and the tutor is willing to put in time and effort (and obviously knows his stuff), there are GUARANTEED results.

Your teachers can't be contacted 24/7 for support (some tutors can), and not all of them put in all the effort necessary to help you succeed.

bertstare

HSC
Speaking of learning from a role model as what iSplicer said.

My exposure to my tutor's experiences has been great. I'm not tutored in a class, it's a one to one tutoring for maths. The things I have learnt from him outside of maths alone is phenomenal. Without such an exposure I highly doubt that I would have known these things right now, seen life in such a perspective. His teaching is a lot different to other tutors out there where you learn content ahead, here I asked questions and get assistance with things I don't understand, focusing more on how to approach the question rather than how to actually do it. I guess this will really help me in university whilst helping me right now in high school.

I wouldn't imagine this applies for most people, but having a tutor as a role model is really beneficial.

I was in the lowest level of Maths in year 8 because of my lazy attitude despite my common knowledge being rather high than average kids my age. I ended up being able to do Extension 2 for Year 12. It may just take that one mentor or person to unlock your potential. By no means do I think it was entirely me, but neither do I think it was entirely him that got me to where I am. All he did was help me get to where I am. Pretty much what carrotsticks said on page 2.

I'm actually starting to think that some of the kids opposed to tutoring are just quite insecure or some odd reason that maybe they never had a role model to help them, or perhaps they're isolated kids that don't look beyond them self for help.

Last edited:

M@ster P

HSC
I don't think there is anything wrong with tutoring. As some have posted it helps to re-enforce concepts which you learnt at school and see things in a different way if perhaps you studied it by yourself. The only thing wrong is if you totally rely on tutoring and don't do any of your own self study as it means that you are highly dependent on your tutor. At the end its up to you, tutoring or not, the service is there, if you are gonna use it, take advantage.

Last edited:

TheBloop

HSC
tutoring..
sad....
tutoring can be very beneficial. In just over 1.5 hours my chem kid and I got through CM&M bar the last 3 dot points. It's definitely a speedier way to learn. And then you just revise and revise until you've got it all in your head for the test.

Wonder

HSC
I'm actually starting to think that some of the kids opposed to tutoring are just quite insecure or some odd reason that maybe they never had a role model to help them, or perhaps they're isolated kids that don't look beyond them self for help.
I doubt that's true for most people. If you look through the previous posts on this thread you'll see that the people 'opposed' to tutoring (i.e. don't see the point in it) are the ones who are really self-motivated and therefore don't need tutoring. Of course tutoring can be beneficial but if you already are motivated and self-study well then there's not much point in spending that extra money.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Some people use it as a 'second school' almost if they feel that their current teachers are incapable of helping them get the marks they want.

Other people are already doing well, and want that extra 'edge'.

People who have been tutored have topped the state, people who have NOT been tutored have topped the State.

It all depends on the individual case and your needs, whether it is appropriate or not.

Clean Sweep

HSC
At our school, we keep the teachers in during lunch, recess, after school or during free periods if we want to have a 1 on 1 lesson. I've done it a few times before but sometimes the teachers gets pissed off.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The need for tutoring can only be determined on a case by case basis. At my school, our science record is very poor for the school's rank in the HSC due to the teaching method endorsed by our head teacher causing a significant portion of students to have tutoring whether it be one on one or small classes (eg Talent 100). I, personally, don't have tutoring for neither Physics nor Chemistry but I'm able to compete with the students that are tutored and for most of them, out-perform them. With that said, the way our assessments are set out cause most students to be poorly prepared and when I look at my peer's test papers, they often have inaccurate information - even students that are tutored and their responses shared on Moodle as "exemplars". Though, I do blame our school's teaching for that.

Bottom line is that, some students can benefit but it won't guarantee you good results. If good results don't prevail, it's not worth it.

bertstare

HSC
My tutor used to give motivational talks.
My tutor continues to give me motivational talks, especially since the HSC is approaching. It's an 'experience' you could rarely find elsewhere, doubtful that you'd get a motivational talk at school by a teacher tbh.

shravan_872

HSC
Uni Grad
I go to tutoring on saturdays and I spend about 8 hrs there... So thats 8 hours a week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)