turbo, yo. (1 Viewer)

lengy

HSC
GT did NOT make me a Skyline 'fanboy'. I didn't get the R33 or the R34, just the R32 and some older model Skylines. It made me a Shelby Cobra fan though. I hate being associated with Skyline 'fanboys'.

HSC
thanks for the input fellas. ive decided the cost probably outweighs the benefit...although a pocket rocket does sound very tempting.
mmm..ill do some exhaust work instead.

blackkatz

HSC
If u really like to work on your Yaris (and make it a tad faster),
get high flow exhaust manifold, headers and intake.

They would give a 'gentle' boost on ur cars performance and
albeit cheaper than putting a turbo in your Yaris.

And im pretty sure there're some bolt ons that works on a Yaris.
Dont count on me on that one tho.

@lengy: I feel the same way. I dont really like to be called a Skyline "fanboy". I just love em due to their history. And who doesnt like a Shelby Cobra this days
?

Jiga

^

Yeah I think the biggest bang for buck would be just getting rid of the cat and getting a piggyback ecu (goodbye fuel efficiency, but every car comes tuned down for fuel efficiency so there should be power to gain here).

The rest, well headers not sure if there are any available for a Yaris, and in most cases the gains arent massive on low powered cars. Intake wise I spose you can custom make your own cold air intake (it isnt hard) but I wouldnt just go out and buy say a K&N because its been proven they dont do much by themselves.

Eitherway, the end result is a Yaris that can beat other Yaris'... but cant beat 99% of other cars.... so why bother because even these cheaper modding solutions will cost at least $1000

Last edited by a moderator:

blackkatz

HSC
True, even if u get catbacks and all u'll only get a tad of performance.

Plus if u just install either one or two of the said components, it wont make any difference at all. U'll need to install ALL THREE (or two) to get any 'visible' change.

And I figure they'll cost around $1000~1200 including installation, depends largely on where u live.

^ custom cold air intake (cai) is nice, but aint those things dangerous if not crafted well?
I've heard of people installing one o those and turns out the water used to cool air leaked out and went into the engine! It wrecked their engine...so Im thinking high flows are safer.

Jiga

^

Lol nah, dat sounds more like water injection or something having probs like that. CAI is just doing your own piping, put a pod on, and locate it near somwhere that gets cold air coming in under the bonnet ;)

The only risk with this is in some cars like my own (camry) they have a snorkel and they put additional piping on this, if you run it to somewhere that puddles in rain can splash up, you can hydrolock your engine, causing extensive damage.

But yeah, its not worth $1000 to do up the car, its still going to be slow.

Jiga

^

Lol yeah you could just do that. Personally I have nothing against modding cars, but you have to have something to begin with that has some power... it will be alot easier then to get something out of it. With a Yaris, it wasnt designed to be thrashed, it would take alot of work to get any power out of it.

blackkatz

HSC
^^
Yeah, The Aurion seems like a nice car. Altho I'll look other {cheaper} cars if I wanted to mod the heck out o the car.

It already has 200kW tho, how much more do you want? I mean, thats already a lot of power u got there

lengy

HSC
Except I want to put the supercharged version into the current model Camry... or an SW20 MR-2 GTS. :)

Jiga

It already has 200kW tho, how much more do you want? I mean, thats already a lot of power u got there
True but I recon with a piggyback ecu you could easily get more, there is a Lexus equivalent coming out of this engine only difference is it has direct injection, it has 230kw. I cant see it all being cos of the injection, Id say its been more aggressively tuned... so alot of power can be unleashed, although say goodbye to <10L per 100km fuel efficiency. Also, Im sure since TRD are making a supercharged one on the same engine, there may be a direct bolt on supercharger coming out for it... so then you start talking about 240kw+ for the cost of a supercharger instead of having to custom make all the piping etc on a turbo, and you have a car that does the 100 in close to 5secs.

Except I want to put the supercharged version into the current model Camry
I dunno, the Aurion looks alrite... lookin at pics the Camry is better, but seeing a couple of Aurion Sportivos in the flesh they aint to shabby (only let down is the rims, get some 19s of your own choice and they will look way betta) - and the TRD one is gonna look even better.

lengy

HSC
But it's NOT a CAMRY! The Camry looks sleeker! :p Actually I think the Camry, if you didn't know it was a Camry you would think it might be a luxury car, especially from the back. The Sportivo body kit though looks slightly cheap on it unfortunately.

blackkatz

HSC
^^
Correct me if Im wrong, but aint both Aurion and Camry basically the same, with minor detail changes. Also, arent both FWDs? At least the Camry here <Jakarta> are FWDs.
Wouldnt it be better (ie: more enjoyable) if u got an RWD and crank the heck out of it?

Well, I havent driven the new V6 Camry yet, so Im not so sure on how it well it drives.

Oh and can u tell me the Lexus counterpart of Aurion? Is it the IS series?

Supercharged Aurion/Camry? If the engine is same (TRD and non-TRD), I'd prefer to add a supercharger on my own. Both opts are expensive either way tho. In the end I'd pick the MR-2 GTS instead if I can get my hands on one. Plus

and IMO the Camry looks better (ie: stylish) than the Aurion, the Aurion's body kit looks like cheap plastic.

Plus Im sure there are other cheaper {and better} cars than the Aurion and Camry, but I just dont know how reliable/attainablethey are. Maybe u guys/girls have other ideas for ToO LaZy ^*?

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
yeah, sell the yaris, buy a honda. VTEC Y0!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
blackkatz said:
^^
Correct me if Im wrong, but aint both Aurion and Camry basically the same, with minor detail changes. Also, arent both FWDs? At least the Camry here <Jakarta> are FWDs.
Wouldnt it be better (ie: more enjoyable) if u got an RWD and crank the heck out of it?

Well, I havent driven the new V6 Camry yet, so Im not so sure on how it well it drives.
If I recall correctly, in Asia (or Singapore at least) the "Aurion" is known as the "Camry", but it's fitted with a 4 cylinder engine. Most cars over there are 4 cylinder in this price range (bear in mind that a Camry would probably cost as much as an opted out 3 series due to high tariffs/taxes); and the "Camry" to them, is just a larger version of the Corolla, Vios, etc... (Also note: In Asia, there are A LOT more models from the main manufacturers in the category of car somewhere between a Honda Jazz and a Honda Civic- it's small, but not that small).

Oh and can u tell me the Lexus counterpart of Aurion? Is it the IS series?
I thought Camry/Aurion would be the ES.

Jiga

Well as Seremify 007 said, prity sure the Aurion is the Camry throughout Asia, they differentiated it in Aus because of the bad image the Camry has (in terms of sportyess). But the differences body wise are the front and back, the midsection is identical on both cars. As for RWD better... it depends what you want out of the car, no FWD can oversteer unless you handbrake it or brake lift into a corner (doesnt make them crap... in fact looking at wakefield park records an integra is faster then an SS and a CAMRY is only 1sec slower... both significantly less powered FWD's), eitherway these cars arent designed with hoons in mind. From every review I have read as well, handling is good becuase the auto trans / traction control / stability control work together to eliminate torque steer etc. The only thing against them is Toyotas tyre choice, they are running on 215s for fuel efficiency, that reduces handling. First thing Id do is buy some 19 inch rims which easily fit on the Aurion with 245s... that would make handling amazing considering it does ok on 215s atm (also helps braking).

and IMO the Camry looks better (ie: stylish) than the Aurion, the Aurion's body kit looks like cheap plastic
I dont think so really, the Aurion Sportivo (the rest do look plain) in the flesh is heaps good...

VS

lengy

HSC
Yeah I really hate the join line on the front of the Camry Sportivo front spoiler which is why I want it in black. It's so hot in black. OMG I want it... with a V6 engine. Why?! Why Toyota Australia? Give me back my V6 Camry! :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh i agree about the grille join line.. I think it might have looked okay if it was in chrome for a luxury salloon- but leaving it body coloured looks really weird. Have to admit, Toyota did a damn good job with marketing and product planning for the local market with the Aurion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)