Tutor or Non-tutor (1 Viewer)

3lechtrik

HSC
N/A
I currently am in yr11 and i'm approaching year 12. I was wondering at the moment i'm doing 4 hours of study every afternoon on top of school. With my current subjects is it better i go to a tutor? I am aiming for a 95+ ATAR. For those who got something like this please respond on your opinion.
(subjects below)
Thank you.

Last edited:
HSC
I don't think you should :) There are so many resources: books, online help etc. to help you! You are perfectly capable of doing the work for yourself and if you need help, see a teacher.
Unless you are really struggling and are finding the content too difficult, you shouldn't get a tutor. I prefer that you put in the extra work and extra hours. Read more books about your topics, do more research online, and even watch some videos (they can surprisingly simplify things).
In the end, it's all about you and your preference! :)

deswa1

HSC
This is all a matter of personal preference. Don't get a tutor because its 'the thing'. I never got tutoring and I achieved quite a bit over 95 so its possible. I found self study to be very effective but some people learn much better with tutoring- I know personally when I tutor people now, they can show a massive improvement because they are just missing a few basic things that the teacher misses and they don't know they're missing it so they can't ask their teacher anyway.

I'd probs try tutoring for a little if you want to and then see how you go. A lot of private tutors offer a free trial lesson and many colleges offer say a three week trial. Use them. Personally I'd recommend 1-1 tutoring because that way you know you're getting personalised help. For me anyway, if money was an issue, I'd just get less lessons of 1-1 then more of a group setting.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
This is all a matter of personal preference. Don't get a tutor because its 'the thing'. I never got tutoring and I achieved quite a bit over 95 so its possible. I found self study to be very effective but some people learn much better with tutoring- I know personally when I tutor people now, they can show a massive improvement because they are just missing a few basic things that the teacher misses and they don't know they're missing it so they can't ask their teacher anyway.

I'd probs try tutoring for a little if you want to and then see how you go. A lot of private tutors offer a free trial lesson and many colleges offer say a three week trial. Use them. Personally I'd recommend 1-1 tutoring because that way you know you're getting personalised help. For me anyway, if money was an issue, I'd just get less lessons of 1-1 then more of a group setting.
A bit modest there, Deswa!

I think for tutoring it depends on your teacher as well, i.e they may not be able to explain it well or miss content, etc. If you're able to understand concepts fine and are doing well with your personal study then there is no need for you to get a tutor, see how you go in your prelims relative to everyone else, and then possibly consider going to tutoring if you feel like you haven't done well enough, however a lot of people change from year 11 to year 12 so you can't be 100% certain, its really a personal choice and as deswa1 said try the free trials if you can before you decide.

3lechtrik

HSC
N/A
So if i'm willing to work hard enough you don't think i should?
My father doesn't mind buying me school recourses so i'm covered for it and if so what books do you recommend?
eg- excel, dot point e.t.c
(link me if you have them)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
So if i'm willing to work hard enough you don't think i should?
My father doesn't mind buying me school recourses so i'm covered for it and if so what books do you recommend?
eg- excel, dot point e.t.c
(link me if you have them)
Self learning is cost efficient (y), you just need discipline and motivation.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
To self-learn, you must be smart enough yourself. Some need tutors simply because they are not smart enough to figure things out by themselves.

3lechtrik

HSC
N/A
I'm not concerned about being cost effective. I am willing to put down money and time for the marks i want. If i put in a lot of effort now then if i get to Uni i will be happy.

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
I currently am in yr11 and i'm approaching year 12. I was wondering at the moment i'm doing 4 hours of study every afternoon on top of school. With my current subjects is it better i go to a tutor? I am aiming for a 95+ ATAR. For those who got something like this please respond on your opinion.
(subjects below)
Thank you.
Are your teachers good?

HSC
Since you can readily acquire books and stuff, I recommend you don't get a tutor. I have tried tutoring twice at two supposedly exceptional places but none of them really helped me or made me improve. It was the hours and work I personally put in and the practice I did, that really boosted my marks. Tutoring will not miraculously get you Band 6s and As, trust me :) It's YOU and how much effort YOU put in.

Jinks

HSC
It's been said already but it comes down to you, if you're able to sort through problems and difficulties yourself then you won't gain all that much from a tutor. However if you like having things explained in a different way or like talking about the questions and answers rather than simply writing and checking the answers in a book then a tutor would be a good choice, there is no real right amount of time, whatever you feel you need/can fit in.

Also don't be afraid to talk to your teachers after school/before school/on breaks if you need help or even if you want more work/questions I'm sure they'll help, it bugged me when I saw people not understand a question in class and "save it" to ask they're tutor, without even going up to the teacher.

enoilgam

HSC
Self learning is cost efficient (y), you just need discipline and motivation.
You also need to be reasonably intelligent to self-learn, besides, some subjects are really difficult to learn on your own anyway (i.e. MX1, MX2 or even 2 unit).

As has been mentioned above, it depends on the person and situation. I'd only get a tutor if I had a terrible teacher or if I was struggling with the work.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutoring advantages:
1. Learn knowledge earlier than at school, hence concepts will be consolidated at school.
2. They can provide useful feedback, tips, etc.
3. You won't be hanging around the house doing nothing ie being lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)