Tutorials (1 Viewer)

sam5

HSC
what do u do at tutorials?

How important are they?

im going to newcastle uni next year doin biomedical science. I will have to travel 50 mins to uni and back on most days, and its gonna be a pain in the ass for me. Its something i could do without.

If for example i had a friday and the only thing i had on that day was e.g. a chemistry tutorial, would it be ok to not turn up to that tutorial?

I expect that i wont have problems with the coursework, but i could be wrong lol.

the uni also has a lecture recording system, but im not sure how reliable it would be. I could use it if i only had 2 lectures on a quite day or something so i can skip driving that day.

would it be worthwile to skip the tuorials or some lectures (using the recording system)? or would i be shooting myself in the foot?

plz dont call me a bludger either.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Lecture's you can miss. As long as you catch up on the coursework, either by reading the lecture slides, listening to it, or reading your text book, you'll be fine. Just make sure you actually do these things, and not just say you will. I missed quite a few lectures last semester, because it was difficult to get there, and ended up doing fine.

Tutorials, on the otherhand, you really can't miss. If you miss a certain number, you will fail the course (at least, that's how it is at UOW). Roll's will be marked in your tutorials. Not only that, but it's where most of your actual work for the subject will occur. And if your doing group work, its not fair to others if you miss the class.

Morbo

HSC
Why are you considering university if you're not willing to even attend your classes? 50 minutes is not that bad. I know people who travel 90 minutes.
Anyway, chances are that they will be marking the roll at tutorials which usually have an 80% attendance rate but some classes might not. Lecturers won't usually mark the roll so you can skip as many as you want but I highly recommend attending because you probably won't go through the material yourself until it's too late. Just saying. Well, goodluck!

kenny.

HSC
lol come on 50 minutes? There'd be way more people that have to travel heaps longer than that. 50min is nothing.

but with the tutes. some subjects they mark the roll, some don't. And like, for example Arts subjects' tutes are pretty useless but you do have some nice discussions/debates sometimes and that's about all you do. but since you're doing biomed it'd probably be wise to rock up. you'll be able to judge for yourself after going a few times.

Andi0390

HSC
Tutorials are often part of your semester grade for the first year, sometimes up to 10%. They are not something you can miss, and often a certain amount of them are compulsory. With Chemistry you may also have practicals. Think about it. You are forking out 5 grand a year for this, don't be slack and miss it just because you can't be bothered to travel or live closer. This is the basis for your future.

You fall behind before you know it, and at uni no one cares about you and your struggling.

sam5

HSC
ok thanks guys.

just sounded like a pain in the ass that i didnt need thats all. But i will definitely turn up most of the time. Dont treat me like im a bludger or trying to get out of doin work!

HSC
I've had a few units where tute attendance/participation/prework has been worth 15%. These are the easiest marks to get!

The thing is though, is that uni moves so quickly, so I find tutes are kind of essential to help you keep up.

Also, 50 minutes is nothing compared to what some people travel. I know people who travel for over 2 hours to get to their unis each way.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
tutorials at university are actually worth attending and should be attended as part of the course compared to hsc tutoring which is worthless and not necessary as the board of studies dont care if you went tutoring.

LordPc

HSC
tutorials at university are actually worth attending and should be attended as part of the course compared to hsc tutoring which is worthless and not necessary as the board of studies dont care if you went tutoring.
i wouldnt compare hsc tutoring to unsw tutorials, they are totally different

unsw tutes are similar to what you did in a high school class. teacher, other kids, asking questions. hsc tutoring, well thats highly variable. some people went to a tutoring service, others privately tutored

as already said, they are easy marks. dont see why you wouldnt come. also gives you some an argument should you get in the 45-49 range

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Also, they generally cover extra questions in the tutorials. For example, you will most likely get access to the tutorial sheet to do at home. The tutor will spend time with solutions, and then they may post up extra questions for you to work through that they do not put online.

Also, if you have quizzes or short written tests, they will be held in your tutorial time. If you feel you must skip out on something, then skip the lectures, not the tutorials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)