Tutoring Help - Whats the best approach (1 Viewer)

Sanj1963

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 10, live in Western Sydney and planning for tutoring for Yr 11 and HSC. There is so much information out there so I'm a bit stressed and need your help on what tutoring options should I consider going forward. I'm targeting an ATAR of 90-95 in HSC and I'm currently average in Science, Maths and English. I'm thinking of opting for tutoring for English, Maths, Physics and Chemistry and Biology in the next 2 years. Here are a few questions I had:
  1. Do you think I should take all subjects with one bigger tutoring provider(like Matrix) or would you pick different providers (Dr Du for Maths and Ace for Physics etc.) as I'm not aiming for a 97+ ATAR.
  2. I'm worried that I might be slower than other students who may be more advanced and quicker to understand. Do you guys have mates that are targeting a 90-95 ATAR in HSC that take tutoring in Yr 11 and Yr 12? (all my mates going for tutoring are targeting 97+ so I'm a bit confused)
  3. What are your thoughts on Online vs in campus tutoring? Online is definitely cheaper but what are the other advantages of picking online vs in campus? Also I don’t want it to take a toll on my mental health so should I go for online tutoring instead? what do other students who are targeting a 90-95 ATAR prefer?
  4. My parents would pay for all subjects but I know they are a bit worried about the expenses for tutoring. I just wanted to ask whether this is similar situation for you guys? And does online offer good value for money in that case?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
u can do well wihtout getting tutored in all ur subjects thats just very stupid
perhaps if u want 99.95 and only 99.95 then go ahead but otherwise why just why would u spend that much money when u can learn it urself

kkk579

hello
HSC
u can do well wihtout getting tutored in all ur subjects thats just very stupid
perhaps if u want 99.95 and only 99.95 then go ahead but otherwise why just why would u spend that much money when u can learn it urself
is learning urself hard? coz i was planning to go tutoring for all subjects in y12 if i do the asian 5 (if i don’t then i won’t go tutor for all, only the maths, eng, and sciences) but my dad said it’s hella expensive also cos my sister is in the year below me so there’s gonna be a point where he’s paying a shit ton in one year

howcanibesmarter

HSC
realistically speaking MOST (not all) people who are aiming for a 95+ atar does at least one tutoring lmao - especially when they come from a rural background that don't provide the best resources/teachers that equals their expectation, so i dont think its fair to say its "just very stupid".

kkk579

hello
HSC
also r there any cheap chem and physics tutors other than peak. i’m prolly gonna go peak chem and (hopefully) zhangs physics but idk if my dad can afford it so i might have to go elsewhere for physics but idk any good places coz i don’t think peaks is that good at physics (idk it’s never associated with physics only chem)

howcanibesmarter

HSC
is learning urself hard? coz i was planning to go tutoring for all subjects in y12 if i do the asian 5 (if i don’t then i won’t go tutor for all, only the maths, eng, and sciences) but my dad said it’s hella expensive also cos my sister is in the year below me so there’s gonna be a point where he’s paying a shit ton in one year
yes, learning yourself is hard if you are not willing to go around friends and teachers for problems you dont understand. Not just for maths, but for other subjects too. Of course, some subjects are easier to get tutoring for, i.e. maths, but going to tutoring doesn't always mean results. You have to dedicate hard work too...

howcanibesmarter

HSC
also r there any cheap chem and physics tutors other than peak. i’m prolly gonna go peak chem and (hopefully) zhangs physics but idk if my dad can afford it so i might have to go elsewhere for physics but idk any good places coz i don’t think peaks is that good at physics (idk it’s never associated with physics only chem)
roughly which location? burwood?

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 10, live in Western Sydney and planning for tutoring for Yr 11 and HSC. There is so much information out there so I'm a bit stressed and need your help on what tutoring options should I consider going forward. I'm targeting an ATAR of 90-95 in HSC and I'm currently average in Science, Maths and English. I'm thinking of opting for tutoring for English, Maths, Physics and Chemistry and Biology in the next 2 years. Here are a few questions I had:
  1. Do you think I should take all subjects with one bigger tutoring provider(like Matrix) or would you pick different providers (Dr Du for Maths and Ace for Physics etc.) as I'm not aiming for a 97+ ATAR.
  2. I'm worried that I might be slower than other students who may be more advanced and quicker to understand. Do you guys have mates that are targeting a 90-95 ATAR in HSC that take tutoring in Yr 11 and Yr 12? (all my mates going for tutoring are targeting 97+ so I'm a bit confused)
  3. What are your thoughts on Online vs in campus tutoring? Online is definitely cheaper but what are the other advantages of picking online vs in campus? Also I don’t want it to take a toll on my mental health so should I go for online tutoring instead? what do other students who are targeting a 90-95 ATAR prefer?
  4. My parents would pay for all subjects but I know they are a bit worried about the expenses for tutoring. I just wanted to ask whether this is similar situation for you guys? And does online offer good value for money in that case?
to reply to your questions directly:
1. It's all based on personal preference. Most big tutoring places offer trial lessons, so I would give that a try and decide based on that. But keep in mind, going to bigger tutoring places does guarantee reliability (since a lot of students go) Dr du for maths is good starting place, they have a pretest and you do that to see where you are at.
2. So from my perspective, all of my friends do at least 1 tutoring continued from yr6 selective, but it's only because our school is very competitive. If you do feel like you are slower, maybe start of with a one on one private tutor tailored directly based on your pace, because if you do happen to go to a tutoring place (i.e. classes of 20 or over) and you struggle to keep up, most times the teacher can't stop for just one person if the majority of the class are doing fine.
3. Campus tutoring 100%, only do online if you feel the subject is a bit easier and you want to just consolidate your learning. You can ask teachers and engage in class discussions directly, because im guessing the online is just a video? Or is it zoom. Also you focus a lot more, but this only applies if you have a lack of self-control :)
4. So all different tutoring offer different prices, but what I can say is that yes, it will be expensive. Some places offer discounts if you do more than one course at their tutoring, but I don't have the exact prices ofc. Online only offer good money if you are willing to sacrifice what you could be gaining if it was in person, i.e. asking extra questions after class, etc. If you are doing okay in maths for example, and you feel like you just need to revise and touch up on some subjects, then by all means online is better. However, if you are learnning the concept for the first time, it is 100% better to go in person. Personally I current go for maths, eng and phys. Guess I jsut have to pay back my parents when I get a job because it is quite a bit. 😅

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
realistically speaking MOST (not all) people who are aiming for a 95+ atar does at least one tutoring lmao - especially when they come from a rural background that don't provide the best resources/teachers that equals their expectation, so i dont think its fair to say its "just very stupid".
I said those who get tutored in all their subjects

HSC
If your learning is inclined that way, large provider tutoring will get you good marks.
Whether or not you have any fun at all doing it is a different story.

However, you 100% do not need tutoring to get good marks. Very good study habits, keeping up with your schools pace of content, and looking beyond the basic-level understanding (if you go to a less well resources school) also gets you good marks.

If you are a student who is able to find the own flaws in their understanding, your time is probably better spent working on the things you know you have trouble with and developing a deeper level of understanding rather than going through the forced process used in large provider tutoring, where you are going to go over & have to do homework on things that you already understand.

If you are somewhat high performing but find it hard to know where to improve, and your teachers will not/cannot show you how, private tutoring may be a good option for you, because they will be able to do what I said in the previous paragraph for you (and (hopefully!) wont spend time on useless things you already have a strong grasp of).

Given that most of your friends are aiming for 97+, I assume you are at a reasonably well resourced school that is probably also high ranking. You likely really don't need tutoring for all your subjects to achieve your atar goal.

dumNerd

HSC
I personally only went english tutoring but I had videos and resources from the tutoring centres from my friends for sciences and maths (I figured out ways to download them myself) so it was aight for me - on that note I am selling said resources

and for everyone who thought the prices were a bit high before - significantly reduced now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)