Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on tutoring?

• Tutoring is my life, I have more than 1 tutor.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Casual basis, couple hours a week. I am not a study machine.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I find it really helps my school work. Better off by doing it.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Yeah I go, dont\' really want to be there, parents made me.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Nope never have, never will. Don\'t need too

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

magic_14

Tutoring!!

Greetings all fellow students and people on this site. I am
a current 2002 HSC student who has just concluded my
HSC. I was wondering if any prospective students required
some tutoring in either Ancient History, Biology, Standard
English, all Legal Studies. My email address is
donza_14@yahoo.com.au , and I am willing to tell you more
about myself. I believe I would be a benefit to you guys since
I have just completed the HSC first hand , and I hope to hear
from someone soon. Regards,
*Jason*

spice girl

magic mirror
Re: Tutoring!!

Originally posted by magic_14
I was wondering if any prospective students required
some tutoring in either Ancient History, Biology, Standard
English, all Legal Studies.
did u blitz thru all those subjects, jason?

spice girl

magic mirror
i reckon tutoring sux if u have bad tutors

the situation is that public school (and prolly private skool) teachers are underpaid, so they become all crap and can't teach properly.

so parents with considerate disposable income try to substitute with sending their kids to tuition.

but turns out that some tutors are crap too (or their students are too dumb to realise it {until it's too blody late} ). So ppl get a misconception that tuition is useless.

And, btw, if you're like top ten in your school, you DON'T need a tutor. If you haven't been working hard enough, you just have to work harder. If u do 4+ hours a day and still get nowhere, try doing less. It might work out betta!

any past HSC ppl here considering "reliving the nightmare" and start some tuition job?

Fi

the situation is that public school (and prolly private skool) teachers are underpaid, so they become all crap and can't teach properly.
I have to totally disagree with u there, public schools have some of the best teachers. They are not only concerned with school work, but also the welfare of the public school system.

Private schools on the other hand have under-qualified teachers--or so i've heard.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Fi

Private schools on the other hand have under-qualified teachers--or so i've heard.
but bad teaching is bad teaching, regardless of public/private -system or qualifications. I'd rather have a teacher who didn't have as many letters after his/her name, who could make me understand, rather than a teacher with heaps of qualifications who could not.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I dislike tutoring because it takes up so much time. There were a couple of people in one of my classes this year who went to tutoring most nights and the entire weekend, and as a result they spent all of school time either sleeping or mucking around. They didn't do significantly better than any of the rest of us.

I've never been tutored. I think spice girl mentioned the "less is more" concept. There's nothing worse than overworking yourself and not having time to do things which de-stress you. So maybe it's not the tutoring itself that's bad, it's the inability of the student to manage their own time effectively and/or to realise how much tutoring they really need.

stress = paranoia = too much tutoring = stress = paranoia = even more tutoring = stress...

spice girl

magic mirror
Yes, well Fi, personally I've had some of the best teachers in my skool teaching me for yr 12, which is kinda cool, but kinda lucki.

But i've seen others who NEED tuition because their teachers are crap.

And !meeee!, i take tutoring in english, which is by far my worst subject. But, yeh, I've had two teachers. One taught me for a year and still i was below average. The second taught me for like 2 months and i felt i've learnt all the concepts for all the modules for the first time. How much she's improved my mark is yet to be seen.

Fi

The reason why i'm soooooooo agaisnt tutoring is because
i went tutoring for maths when my average mark was in the 70s ( which i wasn't to happy with at the time!!!!!).......after months of tutoring my average mark dropped down to 60%--In my opinion Maths won't be counted when it comes to my UAI.

I was advised to do it, just in case i do well in it.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by !meeee!
perhaps that's cause the maths course got harder
nah ... the course didnt get any harder ... just that everyone went and got tutoring which meant that if you didnt you would be disadvantaged ...

i got tutoring for english cos my class teacher didnt know the syllabus and my school is no good at english ...

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
u could go to Pre uni in homebush bay if ur starting yr 12 now. its cool. $30 for 1.5 hr
er? isnt it $40~~ all other subjects are 30 but not 3unit n 4unit maths :/

i go pre uni for hoildays courses in the summer ..its alrite rush a bit
and i have private tutor each week for 3unit maths :) pretty cheap $16/hr .. it helped me heaps

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Fi

I have to totally disagree with u there, public schools have some of the best teachers. They are not only concerned with school work, but also the welfare of the public school system.

Generalising is pretty useless when it comes to teachers. I go to a public school. My maths and economics teachers are pretty useless. I have to depend on my tutor for maths. On the other hand I have an *excellent* Software Design teacher. I wouldn't be able to get through the course without him.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

Generalising is pretty useless when it comes to teachers. I go to a public school. My maths and economics teachers are pretty useless. I have to depend on my tutor for maths. On the other hand I have an *excellent* Software Design teacher. I wouldn't be able to get through the course without him.
i guess its the luck of the draw ... but i think that the public school system doesnt give as many incentives for teacher to improve or teach at their full potential ...

Winston

HSC
i dont even get my friends tutoring
they go there and do ahead in topics
im like huh

basically i reackon a one to one tutor is the best solution
and u let the tutor pin point ur weakness
and work on the parts thats it...
so u get the concept
not frekin get extra work off them
thats plain silly

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate
Tutoring only helps you so far. In the end its up to the student
yep ... but a bit of a push helps ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I dislike tutoring because it takes up so much time. There were a couple of people in one of my classes this year who went to tutoring most nights and the entire weekend, and as a result they spent all of school time either sleeping or mucking around. They didn't do significantly better than any of the rest of us.
This is what I have observed in my school too. Not many take tutoring but the ones who do tend to see classes as a waste of time, as if they are "too cool for school".

As well they didn't perform any better than when they didn't have any tutoring. It shows that tutoring can help some individuals but in other cases in can cause others to become slack.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
tutoring...never had the time or money, with working, sport and the HSC (hell I had a hard enough time getting the night before the english exam off from work, which was a complete waste anyway). and the tutors, I'd see my friends go to or heard were shit.

Hmm, I did have a driving instructor though, that sort of constitutes some form of tutoring and I have to say that for $40 an hour it was a complete waste of money, he just talked on his mobile while I drove around, and occasionally he'd let me practice parking. I only did it to get my hours up and use his car for the test, cause no one else would let me use their car while on my l's.

But yeah, I dont really see the point in tutors unless your have really shit teachers. Because the tecahers can give the direction with how to do things, but, I reckon you should try and learn stuff yourself, cause it stays in your memory longer, and your not going to have your teacher or tutor sitting with you in the HSC exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)