Two interviews- Mcdonalds or Woolworths? (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
I just went for an interview at woolworths and I find out next week If i've got the job. But I also applied for mcdonalds and they keep on calling but I keep on missing the calls. I really want to work at woolworths not mcdonalds but what happens if I go to the Mcdonalds interview and they offer me a job straight away and then I get offered the woolworths one a couple of days later?
Should I just wait until I find out about woolworths or should I go to the other one as well.
Also is it true that mcdonalds gives you buckets of shifts and then once you turn 18 you get hardly any?
Is this the case at Woolworths?
Could anyone tell me which place would be better to work at- both in terms of work and money- I'm 17 and i'm turning 18 in January.

T

Testpilot

If McDonalds offers you a job take it, because you've got guaranteed work, then if you get the job at Woolies you can quite Maccas. You would have to give two weeks notice, so this might mean juggling shifts.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'd do as testpilot said cos if you don't get Woolies, at least you'll have Maccas as crappy as it is.

Scanorama

HSC
You will probably get the job at Woolies, unless you screwed up at the interview badly. That said, just to be safe, I'd do what Testpliot said, take Maccas.

But between the 2, Woolies is a little bit better. I would never lower myself to work at Maccas.

At Woolies, my store anyway, most of the workers are over 18, including check outs. Which department are you in?
Not sure about Maccas, I heard of both side of the stories.

sly_skittle

HSC
I'd be working on checkout but I know a few people who are in year 11 and 12 who are working there. Hopefully they're really desperate for people.
Thanks everyone- I don't really want to work at maccas- unless I got this other store where about 10 people go there in a week!- but not the one right next to the highway

vg_woz_here

HSC
i have worked at both. maccas its really easy to get the job. but working there sux. pay is crap.

woolworths is where i work now. its great in a way.

So if you had to choose, id say Woolies. (or coles)

HSC
N/A
Don't work for Maccas! Make up some excuse about not being able to work this week or something, and wait for Woolies.

A girl who I went through interview/induction with went from full time Maccas to full time Woolies. Obviously the conditions at Woolies are a lot better. The pay's probably higher too, right?

It's not all that hard to get into Woolies/Coles either, though.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
You know, for the bad rep Maccas has, it's apparently not that bad a place to work. I have many friends who work there, and while the pay is kind of shit they make you go through an excellent training program. It's apparently a really good place to have your first job at, even if you're only there for a few months, because your future employees will see that you were trained at McDonalds and apparently that's a great thing to have on your resume. Like I said, for a place with a bad rep its training program is quite well-respected.

Not that I would trade jobs with my friends who work there, ahahaha.

P

pLuvia

Excellent training program? Training is fast I must say (2 three hour shifts), excellent I wouldn't count on that. The pay isn't as bad as it was last year when I worked there :p But I wouldn't go back there

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A
Don't EVER work at McDonalds. It's shit. I've cooked and done counters, and the counter is actually worse.

HSC
just got a job at maccas. cos all the other places won't hire me including coles and woolies and i was overseas last holidays. gosh i'm so pathetic hahaha :p

HSC
Jachie said:
You know, for the bad rep Maccas has, it's apparently not that bad a place to work. I have many friends who work there, and while the pay is kind of shit they make you go through an excellent training program. It's apparently a really good place to have your first job at, even if you're only there for a few months, because your future employees will see that you were trained at McDonalds and apparently that's a great thing to have on your resume. Like I said, for a place with a bad rep its training program is quite well-respected.
My school hired a recruitment expert to speak to us, and he said that people who work at McDonalds are some of the best trained around, closely followed by Coles Myer. He said that these people are sought after employees for many years to come.

Despite all of this, I would not work at McDonalds.

tennille

HSC
pLuvia said:
Excellent training program? Training is fast I must say (2 three hour shifts), excellent I wouldn't count on that. The pay isn't as bad as it was last year when I worked there :p But I wouldn't go back there
I worked there about four years ago, and I was getting $5.93 an hour. Compare this with $9.27 an hour at Big W if you're under 17. Worst job ever, but once I resigned and looked for other jobs, people were keen to hire me. It does give you quite a lot of skills.

P

pLuvia

Four years! Too long :p But yes the skills are quite valuable but the training was a bit dodgy if you have a bad Crew Trainer or Crew Chief

But I was a good employee none the less, Crew of the Month!

tennille

HSC
pLuvia said:
Four years! Too long :p But yes the skills are quite valuable but the training was a bit dodgy if you have a bad Crew Trainer or Crew Chief

But I was a good employee none the less, Crew of the Month!
I only worked there for 8 months. I meant I worked there four years ago. :p
I resigned because there was an armed robbery while I was working there.

tasty

HSC
my friend worked at mcd's 1-2 years ago and she hated it.

also when i went job hunting for my first job ever 2 years ago, can you believe i failed my mcd's interview. the manager asked me what my favourite burger was and then asked me what was in it. i was like 'wtf' which clearly showed on my face. and she asked me why i picked mcd's over kfc. i went into the interview with no preparation beforehand and even screwed up the standard 'why do you want to work here?' i also basically implied i had transport problems. lmao

but i'm glad i failed it because i scored a better job (obv. doing well in the interview because i learnt my lesson . . . hahaha).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)