Two Million Australians live Below the Poverty Line (3 Viewers)

jimmayyy

HSC
it's only 10 percent because of the ridiculous way that "poverty" is defined. if it was defined by a more realistic median it would be a more accurate reflection of australias disparity.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I wonder how many would be left out of 2 million if you subtracted the people who gamble, do drugs, are alcoholics, are unemployed by choice, left school at or before year 10, had kids when they couldn't afford them or any combination of those things.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I wonder how many would be left out of 2 million if you subtracted the people who gamble, do drugs, are alcoholics, are unemployed by choice, left school at or before year 10, had kids when they couldn't afford them or any combination of those things.
Yeah, I'm sure pensioners and the disabled have n^n combinations of those things.

:rolleyes:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jb_nc said:
Yeah, I'm sure pensioners and the disabled have n^n combinations of those things.

:rolleyes:
...because of course pensioners should not be punished for being too stupid to save money for their retirement.

There aren't 2 million disabled people in Australia.

banco55

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
...because of course pensioners should not be punished for being too stupid to save money for their retirement.

From memory there are hundreds of thousands on the disability pension.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Well, they didn't go onto year 12 so I hope they die in a fire, fucking scum. We should punish them, by killing them. That will make them learn.

Did I say there were?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
banco55 said:
From memory there are hundreds of thousands on the disability pension.
...but not 2 million, and "disability" does not mean "unable to work at all"

jb_nc said:
Well, they didn't go onto year 12 so I hope they die in a fire, fucking scum.
I didn't say I hope they die, just that they don't deserve to get any more money than they already do. They should be happy to be getting anything.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I didn't say I hope they die, just that they don't deserve to get any more money than they already do. They should be happy to be getting anything.
Yeah, you're right. They should all starve to death and have no medical care. Fucking scum. Makes me so angry people eating and living. Fucks sake. Kill all pensioners.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jb_nc said:
Yeah, you're right. They should all starve to death and have no medical care. Fucking scum. Makes me so angry people eating and living. Fucks sake. Kill all pensioners.
Yeah, because that is exactly what I just said you fucking moron.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah, because that is exactly what I just said you fucking moron.
WHO IS FOR THE ANTI-PENSIONER AND WELFARE DEPENDANT ¿¡REVOLUCIÓN!?

SIGN HERE

KILL ALL OF THEM

SouperGirl121

HSC
jb_nc said:
Well, they didn't go onto year 12 so I hope they die in a fire, fucking scum. We should punish them, by killing them. That will make them learn.
Have you ever considered that maybe they couldn't go on to year 12? Like their school wouldn't let them? Because this is what happened to my parents, who are both profoundly deaf, and because the education system when they attended school was severly lacking in the department of people with disabilities, they didn't get a chance to get higher education.

The schools were more concerned with teaching them how to talk instead of teaching them life skills and higher thinking skills so they could get better employment opportunities.

The result? Both my parents are stuck in low-paying jobs, and although they can go on to further training, they've got to rely on the goodwill of employers who won't discriminate against them because they can't communicate in spoken language.

And think about how many careers need you to be able to hear.

So for much of my life, my family has been dependant on Family Tax Benefits and Disability pension.

And as for the rest of you on this forum who make generalisations about people on welfare, for most people I know, it's not their fault and they do make an effort to find employment, but the wages aren't adequate to support families on its own.
Not that I consider my family to be living in poverty...I've been to the slums in India, I know what real poverty is.

Maybe the solution would be to provide welfare through coupons- eg food coupons, clothing coupons, shelter coupons, as well as a free or heavily subsidised medical system, so that for the minority who do happen to have addictions and spend welfare money on drugs, alcohol and gambling, they wouldn't have that money to spend. Just an idea

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
SouperGirl121 said:
Have you ever considered that maybe they couldn't go on to year 12? Like their school wouldn't let them? Because this is what happened to my parents, who are both profoundly deaf, and because the education system when they attended school was severly lacking in the department of people with disabilities, they didn't get a chance to get higher education.

The schools were more concerned with teaching them how to talk instead of teaching them life skills and higher thinking skills so they could get better employment opportunities.

The result? Both my parents are stuck in low-paying jobs, and although they can go on to further training, they've got to rely on the goodwill of employers who won't discriminate against them because they can't communicate in spoken language.

And think about how many careers need you to be able to hear.

So for much of my life, my family has been dependant on Family Tax Benefits and Disability pension.

And as for the rest of you on this forum who make generalisations about people on welfare, for most people I know, it's not their fault and they do make an effort to find employment, but the wages aren't adequate to support families on its own.
Not that I consider my family to be living in poverty...I've been to the slums in India, I know what real poverty is.

Maybe the solution would be to provide welfare through coupons- eg food coupons, clothing coupons, shelter coupons, as well as a free or heavily subsidised medical system, so that for the minority who do happen to have addictions and spend welfare money on drugs, alcohol and gambling, they wouldn't have that money to spend. Just an idea
cool story hansel

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Yer fuck those cunts. i work fucken hard on the consrucshion syte everyday. fuck payin lazy cunts to do nothin.
I hope you are not a contractor and your employer pays a handsome 15% superannuation amount or else we will probably have to kill you too.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jb_nc said:
I hope you are not a contractor and your employer pays a handsome 15% superannuation amount or else we will probably have to kill you too.
...because it is impossible to take money out of your pay yourself and put it into a bank account.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
...because it is impossible to take money out of your pay yourself and put it into a bank account.
It most certainly is not impossible. Why, I just did it last week. Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you post uneducated rubbish?

banco55

HSC
These numbers are from 2005 but even so no wonder we have a labour shortage:

"Tougher activity tests could be imposed on the 700,000 people now claiming the disability support pension - not just future applicants - after the Howard Government yesterday ruled out creating "two classes" of welfare recipients."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Natio...bility-pensions/2005/03/30/1111862461335.html

33 per cent of people on DSP have musculo-skeletal disabilities (loss of mobility & limbs); 25 per cent have psychological & psychiatric conditions; 11 per cent have intellectual & learning disabilities; 5 per cent circulatory system problems; and, 21 per cent other conditions.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=3030

What sort of psychological and psychiatric conditions prevent you from working?

Last edited:

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Relative poverty does not equal absolute poverty. :3

Thread was tl;dr and had too much crap in it.

banco55

HSC
Enteebee said:
Are you serious man?
Yeah I am. I can see some psychiatric conditions stopping people from working but I would like to know what conditions approximately 125000 people have to get the disability pension? Surely the fact that you can get the pension means they have less incentive to overcome their psychological problems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)