• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Typing notes from the HSC syllabus? (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering whether typing notes online such as in Microsoft word is efficient for memory retention. What are you opinions?

enoilgam

HSC
I was just wondering whether typing notes online such as in Microsoft word is efficient for memory retention. What are you opinions?
It depends on the person. I prefer typing them, as it allows me to organise the information better and because I type faster then I write. However, some people find that they memorise better when they handwrite their notes. Experiment with both and see what works best for you. You're entering year 11, so you have the luxury to experiment.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
It depends on the person. I prefer typing them, as it allows me to organise the information better and because I type faster then I write. However, some people find that they memorise better when they handwrite their notes. Experiment with both and see what works best for you. You're entering year 11, so you have the luxury to experiment.
Well, the main reason I want to do this is to keep them organised, make them simple and straight to the point, and expressing creativity to feed the content by colour-coding, highlighting and underlining :)

enoilgam

HSC
Well, the main reason I want to do this is to keep them organised, make them simple and straight to the point, and expressing creativity to feed the content by colour-coding, highlighting and underlining :)
A computer will probably be better at that then handwriting.

K

khorne

Also, they are easier to add to or change. This is important, because you will revise your notes every so often to add new things.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I typed my notes and colour coded them.

I then printed them out and read them out load, line, by line, until I memorized them (note: I mainly did HSIE subjects, so this is why it was vital to know each and every dotpoint).

I also hand wrote my note as well, and highlighted important parts. Both work well, but ultimately it's up to the person!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And they're also neater and use less paper than hand-written notes.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I typed my notes and colour coded them.

I then printed them out and read them out load, line, by line, until I memorized them (note: I mainly did HSIE subjects, so this is why it was vital to know each and every dotpoint).

I also hand wrote my note as well, and highlighted important parts. Both work well, but ultimately it's up to the person!
Same. I type mine up so all the info is there, I can change it/add to it when I need to, and everything is neat, legibile, and sorted under individual dot points. Then I'll recite certain points to commit them to memory and re-write my notes to also get them stuck in my mind. So I think typing is a good idea but I wouldn't just leave it there. But it is up to the individual and the particular ways you learn best.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I generally type up them to organise them but when i finish adding all I want, I would write them down as it sticks to my head more. Plus I think it's better to write since you're not doing your HSC on the computer, it serves as a sort of practice.

such_such

HSC
Typing: saves more time + makes it neater so then you're bothered to read it

Skeptyks

HSC
When do you guys use books then? :] Just wondering, I use it for questions mainly and some note-taking in class as I don't bring my laptop --- too annoying.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
When do you guys use books then? :] Just wondering, I use it for questions mainly and some note-taking in class as I don't bring my laptop --- too annoying.
For classwork.

premskies

HSC
Interesting post. I take a more unorthodox approach in my own opinion. Weeks before the exam, I hand write my notes which subsequently become my study notes. Days before the exam, I type up my notes onto the computer, and do this everyday leading up to the exam. It's probably a very unusual technique but it helps me to retain more information, more efficiently than simply reading a booklet of notes.

does anyone else do this lol?

D94

HSC
N/A
Interesting post. I take a more unorthodox approach in my own opinion. Weeks before the exam, I hand write my notes which subsequently become my study notes. Days before the exam, I type up my notes onto the computer, and do this everyday leading up to the exam. It's probably a very unusual technique but it helps me to retain more information, more efficiently than simply reading a booklet of notes.

does anyone else do this lol?
I sort of did this for my humanities subjects. I first read the textbook and any other important and relevant sources. I then jot down quick notes and used that to answer practice questions. About a week or two before exams, I would "attempt" to type notes and in the process, memorise my notes. Unfortunately, the last part didn't work throughout the year, and only when HSC came, I managed to type out all my notes and expanded on most of them.

1981Grant

HSC
I would handwrite my notes and put them in books and folders that I could carry round with me to classes/tests. I just can't learn from a computer screen.

My advice to you would be to experiment with handwriting and typing and find which one suits your memory better. Because the amount of work isn't going to mean shit if you can't remember it.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Typing is easier, but I myself didn't learn very well with typed notes and also wasn't able to remember the information as well.

HSC
Also, for science subjects, (physics, namely) do you recommend prose or dot point? I am thinking dot point...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)