UAI calculator for major (1 Viewer)

Snoople

HSC
I was thinking of making a UAI calculator for my major
but im pretty shit at coding (not exaggerated)
and i was wondering how hard it would be to make it accurate and all
especially since the UAI estimate works on ranking i wont know how to make it an estimate

Thanks

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
it's a good idea to keep the project as simple as possible. So if you're not already familiar with how the uai is calculated, then you'll just be making more work for yourself in trying to understand it now.

have a look at the marking criteria -- most marks will probably come from documentation and planning stuff anyway, so don't worry too much about writing a really complex program :)

Snoople

HSC
hmm
i dont know how much more simpler it can get
i need to know what maths is included from the hsc mark and the scaled mark
does anyone know?

and also about your last post ianc
what are other ideas that are simpler incase this one fails miserably for me
*hope it deosnt*

lolrofllol

HSC
It would be excessively difficult to create an accurate UAI calculator. You could simplify the process by not actually calculating the UAI on a rank. As ianc said, you won't really be getting marked on the extravagance of your program, rather the documentation - both internal and external - the interface designs, and use of structures like modules, etc.

VERY LIMITED FOUNDATION (VB.NET Style)

Limit the subject choices

Have checkboxes next to subjects and two text boxes for HSC mark and Internal Assessment mark, but lock these text boxes

Make it so a mimimum of 5 checkboxes must be checked for the text boxes to unlock (only unlock the checked text boxes)

Instead of trying to program all the complexed stages that attirbute to the UAI I would do this:
1. Add the HSC mark and internal marks
2. Divide them by two
3. I guess use a multiway selection (CASEWHERE) to determine each subject
4. Under each CASE heading have something like this:

Code:
CASEWHERE: Subject
  CASE: Physics
       CASEWHERE phyTotalmark
             CASE < 50
                 phyScaledMark = 65
             CASE < 60
                 phyScaledMark = 70
etc. etc.

5. After all subjects are scaled, determine the highest 4 scaled marks and automatically include English (you could add something to not do this if the person chose extension 1 and 2 English if you choose to include them)

6. Divide these scores by 5 to obtain a mean mark.

7. Either round the mark to the closest 0.05 (I have no idea how) or just round off to an integer

8. That could be the UAI

Please note that this is an extremely simplified and inaccurate model of the process. I'm suggesting it as an easy option if you really want to make something like this. I am also a beginner at programming, and I would try to do something like this if I wanted to make a UAI calculator.

Last edited:

mrpet3rr

HSC
A accurate UAI calculator would be very hard. Stick to something simple as said in the above documentation is where you gain your marks. It could be the most simple program ever and trust me UAI calculators are not simple.

Something simple would be a :
vending machine
quiz
etc

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Too hard to do it man.

Make something simple, like a blackjack game or something loll.

Snoople

HSC
hmm btw anyone know or are a tutor living near castle hill
im dying for help
i'll also accept other offers like online help when i do get desperate lol
(maybe)

mattoxxxxx

HSC
N/A
what your trying to do is to complex....as with my sdd major....my friend has this crazy idea.....it incorporates bluetooth and other bs.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)