UAI determination (1 Viewer)

Seidel1711

HSC
hey everyone,theres probably another thread for this but i cnt find it so.
im not sure how the scaling thing works,what does ur schools ranking have 2 do wit ur final mark? im doing bio,chem,anc his,mathematics,eng(adv) and PD im aiming for 90+ uai can anyone tell me what i have 2 do to get it or where i can get the info? fat question ay sorry,thanx guys

Wackedupwacko

HSC
or if ur too lazy to visit that thread heres the gist of it.

at school you do a series of internal assessments. (your exams, assignments, orals etc) your school should provide you with the weighting, time and what each assessment is beforehand.

at the end of your trials (end of your internal assessment) you have a school rank which you should know what it is by now and an internal assessment mark. that mark is sent off to Board of Studies and you dont *know* what it is (not hard to work out since u should know it pre trials.. just work out the weighting of trials add it on and tada). the board then will have a list of school assessment marks in which they obviously can determine rank.

then you do this thing called the hsc exam... and depending on how well your school did as a whole in that particular subject, the internal assessment mark sent in is moderated. if your cohort does better in the external exam overall than they did in the internal, it is saying that the internal is harder than the external (relatively) and as such the internal assessment mark will be scaled up. now being ranked 1 you will receive the top hsc mark for that subject, 2nd will receive 2nd highest etc etc... (moderated internal assessment mark i believe). you keep your alligned hsc mark and the 2 of them combined gives u the final mark in that subject.

alligned hsc mark is just your raw hsc mark moderated according to BoS *standards*. if the board deems a test too hard and this is reflected in most students results then the raw mark will be pushed up which is why some subjects like 4u maths u only need about 70% or so for a alligned band 6 (90 or more) .

so basically pre trials... u r competing against the rest of your grade however post trials... its all a group effort to raise the average in the subject.

ps. correct me if something is wrong there

HSC
Wackedupwacko said:

at school you do a series of internal assessments. (your exams, assignments, orals etc) your school should provide you with the weighting, time and what each assessment is beforehand.

at the end of your trials (end of your internal assessment) you have a school rank which you should know what it is by now and an internal assessment mark. that mark is sent off to Board of Studies and you dont *know* what it is (not hard to work out since u should know it pre trials.. just work out the weighting of trials add it on and tada). the board then will have a list of school assessment marks in which they obviously can determine rank.

then you do this thing called the hsc exam... and depending on how well your school did as a whole in that particular subject, the internal assessment mark sent in is moderated. if your cohort does better in the external exam overall than they did in the internal, it is saying that the internal is harder than the external (relatively) and as such the internal assessment mark will be scaled up. now being ranked 1 you will receive the top hsc mark for that subject, 2nd will receive 2nd highest etc etc... (moderated internal assessment mark i believe). you keep your alligned hsc mark and the 2 of them combined gives u the final mark in that subject.

alligned hsc mark is just your raw hsc mark moderated according to BoS *standards*. if the board deems a test too hard and this is reflected in most students results then the raw mark will be pushed up which is why some subjects like 4u maths u only need about 70% or so for a alligned band 6 (90 or more) .

so basically pre trials... u r competing against the rest of your grade however post trials... its all a group effort to raise the average in the subject.

nope, nothing wrong with that, very well explained, especially with the post trials, cos it really does turn into a group effort

studentpass

HSC
N/A
ok ... but wat if ... you hav an assesment mark of 89 and came second with the first guy getin 90 and then in the hsc you beat that guy by like 8 marks... say u got 87 while he gets 79. wat hapens then??
not fair if he beats you overall.

Beege

HSC
say If I come first in IPT with an assessment mark of say 86-88 and then I get around the same in the HSC, will my HSC mark be the same as the assessment mark? what happens If I do worse than my assessment mark in the HSC exam?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wackedupwacko said:

One thing you have wrong is that except for the people who was ranked first and last in the internal assessment the exam marks do not necessarily carry across.

The highest scaled exam mark is given as the assessment mark to the highest ranked candidate at your school and the lowest scaled exam mark as the assessment mark to the lowest ranked candidate.

The next step is that the TOTAL remaining scaled exam marks for that group is distributed taking into account the relative differences in the ranks from the assessment.

In the case of a two students being one mark apart in the assessment and ten marks apart on the exam, then their final assessment mark will be still one or two marks apart - depending on how many marks the entire candidature earned as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)