UAI help. (1 Viewer)

Xox.Mary

HSC
Hi.

Well next year I am planning to do the following subjects (in high school - year 11): advanced english, extenstion english, french (beginners), chemistry, biology, modern history and general maths. However, I am aiming to get a very high UAI (90+) as I would like to do medicine in university.
So, I was wondering, if I do well in all these subjects could I get a UAI of 90+ even though I am going to do general maths (I am aware that it has a low scaling, however I am not confident I will do extrememly well in 2 unit maths)?

I was also wondering, what effect does going to a good school have in terms of gaining a good UAI? I ask this because people are always stating what school they go to and their school's rank and quite frankly I have no idea why (this is most likely due to the fact that I was homeschooled and am completely 'UAI/mark ignorant'... if you get what I mean).

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yupo, if you get high marks than scaling will hardly affect you at all.

It is indeed very, very, very ,very (x infinity) possible to get a UAI of 90+ with your subjects :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
annabackwards said:
Yupo, if you get high marks than scaling will hardly affect you at all.

It is indeed very, very, very ,very (x infinity) possible to get a UAI of 90+ with your subjects :D
Agreed!

@anna: hey!!!

dolbinau

HSC
How many units is french (beginners)?

Anyway, it is very achievable especially since you are going to take a lot of units (i.e It's possible general maths might not even be counted if you didn't do that well in it). Keep in mind if you are looking at UNSW your UAI will have to be probably 97+ to be competitive at UNSW with a good UMAT scorel (95 minimum with a genius score), at least 95 at UWS or in the range of 93-94 for UNCLE. (Assuming nothing changed in 2 years which I suppose it's likely it could).

It's funny how I was worried about not reaching the UAI hurdle for UWS or UNCLE and I underestimated the UMAT test, but after all this it was the thing that killed me :p, so as you get closer to 2010 and if the UMAT test is still around I'd probably try and get some significant preparation for it too.

RE: School Rank. The reason why people throw it around as it reflects the quality the students. e.g Two people want to get 95+. One is coming last at James Ruse and the other first at Brewarrina central school. Obviously by the school ranks it's easy to tell the student and James Ruse is probably going to be the only one to achieve it.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
dolbinau said:
RE: School Rank. The reason why people throw it around as it reflects the quality the students. e.g Two people want to get 95+. One is coming last at James Ruse and the other first at Brewarrina central school. Obviously by the school ranks it's easy to tell the student and James Ruse is probably going to be the only one to achieve it.
i would highly doubt that someone coming last at JR would be able to achieve 95+
low 90's is possible but not over 95

dp624

HSC
yea i know people who got below 95 at ruse. shock horror i know, but they generally don't want to study or have problems (like real problems)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Agreed!

@anna: hey!!!
Hola!!! HEHE i'll study soon... i promise XD

And yeah.. last at Ruse doesn't mean a UAI of 95+ is guaranteed :p

But the school environment might affect you. If you're willing to put in the hard yards yourself then school environment doesn't really matter. But the more competitive the school the more likely you're going to lift your game (or just give up in rare cases).

To sum up, ignore scaling and just work hard- there are plenty of people who don't even learn at school but get great marks because THEY want to learn :)

dolbinau

HSC
It was just a made up example :p. Although I am kind of surprised to hear that the last rank doesn't achieve 95.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I know some people in my selective school repeat yr 12 because they spend a long time on holidays sometimes and its just too hard to catch up whereas others undergo an injury that keeps them hospitalised, preventing them from at times, a terms worth of work. Im guessing a similar story for a very select few ruse ppl?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
dolbinau said:
It was just a made up example :p. Although I am kind of surprised to hear that the last rank doesn't achieve 95.
lowest i've seen was borderline 90
but i think there may be one or two that get below that

dp624

HSC
I know someone below 90. But that person isn't asian so yknow =PP

but being, say, 20th last at ruse is a 97 so yea

Last edited:

mirann

HSC
Easy easy. Much better to do very well 90+ in gen maths (very achievable) than to do Mathematics and get a 70.
Rank matters not nearly as much if the students in your class are all or mostly doing very well (and you are one of them), however if its a larger spread of scores say people failing and people getting 95+ rank matters more and you should definitely be keeping within the better achievers in each course.
For example an ancient history class getting all 85s and above, rank doesn't matter as much because you should all do very well in the HSC exam. However an IPT class with some people failing, others getting 70s and then 3 people getting 90s, rank matters a lot more and you need to be the top 1-5 (depending on size) in the class.
With school rank, basically keep all your marks very high and it shouldn't matter very much. I know a friend who got 99+ at a very low ranked school, so its possible!
HTH

Last edited:
HSC
mirann said:
Easy easy. Much better to do very well 90+ in gen maths (very achievable) than to do Mathematics and get a 70.
Rank matters not nearly as much if the students in your class are all or mostly doing very well (and you are one of them), however if its a larger spread of scores say people failing and people getting 95+ rank matters more and you should definitely be keeping within the better achievers in each course.
For example an ancient history class getting all 85s and above, rank doesn't matter as much because you should all do very well in the HSC exam. However an IPT class with some people failing, others getting 70s and then 3 people getting 90s, rank matters a lot more and you need to be the top 1-5 (depending on size) in the class.
With school rank, basically keep all your marks very high and it shouldn't matter very much. I know a friend who got 99+ at a very low ranked school, so its possible!
HTH
speaking of this do any of u know what uai u need to become a radiologist?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
digimonstudent said:
speaking of this do any of u know what uai u need to become a radiologist?
You first need the required marks to get into med, i.e uai 95+, and once you finish med school, you need to do sit a seperate exam and interview to see whether you are suitable for specialization. Your uni marks are considered as well i believe.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
The school you go to means nothing if u want a high UAI. I went to a lowly public school, and there were 4 of us getting over 98.5. U just need 2 put hard work in2 it and u'll b fine

dp624

HSC
solomarc20 said:
The school you go to means nothing if u want a high UAI. I went to a lowly public school, and there were 4 of us getting over 98.5. U just need 2 put hard work in2 it and u'll b fine
But, ah, some don't consider 98.5 to be that high of a uai

dp624

HSC
dolbinau said:
Well I think that's very sad then..
Well for some law apirers it won't be enough. they'd be mighty angry lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)