uai optom (1 Viewer)

thegangmaster

HSC
Raginsheep said:
The cutoff for vis sci is probably much lower and 1st has similar content if my memory is to be believed. If you are truely dedicated and can't make optom, go for it and then transfer. Otherwise fee-pay. Is there another uni which offers optom?
UNSW is the only uni in NSW which offers optom. I believe QLD, Tas, and Melb unis also offer optom. I was willing to fee-pay for the first year and try to transfer into HECS afterwards but I know someone who tried to do that and is now in third year with a distinction average and is still being refused transfer into HECS.

I don't think I will be able to transfer into optom through alternative entry as you would need to sit for UMAT which im really crap at.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
thegangmaster said:
huh, Doesn't that mean for 2006 Optometry is UAI only but if I fail to make cut-off and do BSc and try and transfer into Optometry in 2007 I would need to do UMAT? :S

EDIT: Oh I see now. UMAT is not compulsory but will be considered when trying to transfer. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You don't need UMAT at any stage for Optometry entry, whether you are going straight into Optom from the HSC or transferring to Optometry from B science. UMAT is for entry into Medicine, not Optometry. :)

If you want to transfer to Optometry from B Science after first year in B Science, they will consider your UAI AND your first year results in B Science, usually weighting 50% each.

Edit: I just read the above post. Looks like you need UMAT then :( How inconvenient :(

Last edited:

thegangmaster

HSC
Survivor39 said:
You don't need UMAT at any stage for Optometry entry, whether you are going straight into Optom from the HSC or transferring to Optometry from B science. UMAT is for entry into Medicine, not Optometry. :)

If you want to transfer to Optometry from B Science after first year in B Science, they will consider your UAI AND your first year results in B Science, usually weighting 50% each.
From the UNSW optometry page http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/future/undergraduate/ugfaq.html

Q. If I don't get the UAI required, is there any other way of getting into the program?

A. You can apply to transfer into the BOptom BSc:
* A limited number of CSP and DFEE internal transfer positions for entry into stage 2 of the BOptom BSc are open to students who have completed Stage 1 of the BSc (major in Vision Science) at the University of New South Wales. Transfer eligibility will be based on a combination of the Universities Admissions Index (UAI) or equivalent, Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and Stage 1 BSc (Vision Science) results and the number of transfer positions is limited by a quota (see Admission Requirements for details). It is important to remember this is a very competitive process and there is no guarantee that you will be offered a place. This option is available to local students only.
* Transfer from another program. Applications are assessed on overall academic merit (that is your UAI and your tertiary record is used in the calculation). This is possible, but not easy. It is important to remember there is no guarantee that you will be offered a place.

??? doesn't this mean UMAT is needed for transferring in if you don't get in through UAI this year?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
thegangmaster said:
I don't think I will be able to transfer into optom through alternative entry as you would need to sit for UMAT which im really crap at.
Then I hope you'll get in the first time. :)

Or do Optometry after your Bachelor's degree.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
thegangmaster said:
??? doesn't this mean UMAT is needed for transferring in if you don't get in through UAI this year?
Yes. Sorry, my mistake.

micelite

<b>BOLD</b>
HSC
i got a letter from the optom faculty today saying that there will be 30 places available next year and the cut off for school leavers this yr is estimated to be 99.50!!!

OR you could do BSci and transfer into second year optom in 2007

just curious... could it be that fewer optometrist will be required in the future?

Raginsheep

HSC
Read what I wrote above.

Raginsheep said:
0They reduced the numbers and created a new degree, BSci(Vision Science) or something like that. For the first year, the Opt and Vis Sci are similar and at the end of the year, some students in Vis Sci maybe offered a transfer place.

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
mmmmm lets just hope that the UAI cut off doesnt rise above 99, AND, that you dont need require the UMAT for first-time entry.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
mmmmm lets just hope that the UAI cut off doesnt rise above 99, AND, that you dont need require the UMAT for first-time entry.
That's not something you need to hope for. You don't need it.

frootloop

HSC
micelite said:
i got a letter from the optom faculty today saying that there will be 30 places available next year and the cut off for school leavers this yr is estimated to be 99.50!!!

OR you could do BSci and transfer into second year optom in 2007

just curious... could it be that fewer optometrist will be required in the future?
Holy crap! :eek:

That's my second preference after Pharmacy... So, if I don't get into Pharmacy I don't have a chance in hell of getting into Optometry!

xvelidras

HSC
frootloop said:
That's my second preference after Pharmacy... So, if I don't get into Pharmacy I don't have a chance in hell of getting into Optometry!
Wouldn't that have been the case even before they reduced the places? Unless, you forgot to do the STAT. XD.

frootloop

HSC
xvelidras said:
Wouldn't that have been the case even before they reduced the places? Unless, you forgot to do the STAT. XD.
Hahahaha... I'd have to be such a bonehead to have not done the STAT test... nah, my parents just sorta thought since the uai cut-off for pharmacy fluctuated a bit in the past few years it could go up heaps this year and I like miss out or something... and some how get into optom? I dunno lol.

But yeah, in reality what you said is correct. :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You will soon find out! Just be patient! :)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
good work survivor39(do you have a proper name) ! you're reassuring these worry-warts

Guys... please stop crapping yourselves and asking if you have a chance with this and that uai. We know for sure it will go up this year since they halved the number of places, but that doesnt mean you CAN'T do optometry.

gaawwwd..
you'll find out yourselves one day kids, that this moment of your life means nothing in the big picture. If you get in congrats, if you dont, try again and do something else.. give yourself more perspective, live and learn a little

i thought 99.5 was the 'cut-off'. or am i wrong?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bob.J said:
good work survivor39(do you have a proper name) ! you're reassuring these worry-warts
QUOTE]

My name is Si-Ming. :p

Remember everyone, it is not the end of the world not to get into Optometry. Someone will get in and someone won't. If you are really passionate about Optometry, put down Bachelor of Science at UNSW as your second preference and major in Vision Science so at the end of your first year science, you can apply for transfer into second year Optomtery (Same thing as direct entry). That way you won't have to start from scratch again.

mchase

HSC
but what happens if you cant transfer from vision science into optom after the first year?? can you go into optom after you graduate? or does it mean theres no chance after the first year??

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
but what happens if you cant transfer from vision science into optom after the first year?? can you go into optom after you graduate? or does it mean theres no chance after the first year??
Yes, you can try it after you've completed your Bachelor degree. If you've done Vision Science [This is in the Bsc Program which in 2006 required a UAI of 73] in ur first year, and wish to change to Optom in the 2nd year you must have a UAI of at least 90 I believe to be able to be considered for a transfer.

During Transferral, you will first be considered as to whether or not your UAI is above 90. [Keep in mind that, if you fall below 90, then your chances into B Optom are very slim, as the transferral does not take into account of your WAM, GPA, etc] Next, the higher your UMAT score is, the higher your chance will be to enter Optom.

So, it's not like med where you need like a UMAT score that's inverse to your UAI score.

All of this info was given to me last year when I phoned Optom's office. So, if you need more update info, be sure to call the school of optomotry & vision science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)