uai prediction (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey i just gotta Q im not sure about
does the UAI prediction that ur principal puts on ur application form really matter???
can u still get into med at UNSW if u get a shitty predicted uai but then get a real uai of 99+

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Predicted UAIs mean nothing.

Trev

stix
HSC
This girl at my school who wants to do medicine at UNSW was given a UAI prediction of 95 by the school. Completely insane, if she gets a higher UAI than myself I will be 100% shocked, I am only aiming for around 91/92 from my piss poor effort at the HSC to date. I would even be surprised if she got in the 90's for her UAI. Our school must be so dodgy hehe.
[Also how 'currysauce' wasn't given an estimate of 90+ for his applications, shows how school UAI predictions are a joke!]

Zali

HSC
I agree. My principal asked me what I wanted my prediction to be n what i thought i was going to get. I could predict 99 but i doubt id get it. Also im toping the ranks for a few subjects but my marks aren't always that great. what counts more the ranks or the marks. I no the marks get moderated but how much by?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
realistically, its the ranks that matter. When they say moderated, they use the ranks and the gaps between people (plus a few statistics things, it's a bit grey) to scale the set of hsc marks for a given school in a given subject. Thus, coming first in a subject after all internal marks are counted is a very good thing, because you automatically get the score of the top mark for your internal 50% of your HSC subject mark (your external 50% is based on the mark you get in the HSC exam and a difficulty scaling which is recalculated each year).
You should probably look this up in the specific part of the forum because it's beginning to get messy in my head and that isn't doing good things for clarity. Suffice to say, good ranks are good, with consideration that the gaps between you and the people above you aren't too big.

With regards to the estimate - its better to have a good one because you have a better chance of getting a 1st round interview, but not critical because there is a 2nd round of interviews for people whose real UAIs were sufficiently higher than their pediction. The predictions aren't used for calculating admissions though, if that's what you're wondering.

What trev said is an annoying situation, but the chances are if someone needs their estimate lifted significantly, they may not have got a good enough UMAT to start with and won't get an interview anyway.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Are first round interviews more relaxed or any different in structure when compared to second round?
Also, is the predicted UAI for first round 99 and UMAT percentile 230+?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
ishq said:
Are first round interviews more relaxed or any different in structure when compared to second round?
Also, is the predicted UAI for first round 99 and UMAT percentile 230+?
i believe both round interviews are the same

and selection for 1st round is based on a combination of predicted UAI and UMAT, if thats what you're asking. here are last years figures:

http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/home/medweb.nsf/website/2.2.latestnews_local

Danoz The Great

HSC
Trev said:
This girl at my school who wants to do medicine at UNSW was given a UAI prediction of 95 by the school. Completely insane, if she gets a higher UAI than myself I will be 100% shocked, I am only aiming for around 91/92 from my piss poor effort at the HSC to date. I would even be surprised if she got in the 90's for her UAI. Our school must be so dodgy hehe.
[Also how 'currysauce' wasn't given an estimate of 90+ for his applications, shows how school UAI predictions are a joke!]
Trev that's mean. I know who you're talking about there.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm, well I am confident that this girl deserves whatever prediction the principal saw fit to bestow. Maybe there's just a few things about her YOU don't know?

sovietski

HSC
As stated, the UAI prediction is used only to gather information regarding the first round interviews, so in other words, its not the end of the world.

latania

HSC
um yeah...definitely aim for 200+ in the UMAT if you want to get an interview...
and also, apparently if you get a predicted UAI 99+, you're guaranteed an interview, that's what I heard...but there's a slack part to it..I overheard this girl telling her friend that their school puts everyone's predicted UAI as 99+ so they're all pretty much guaranteed an interview (if they don't stuff up their UMAT)??!!!
Of course, what I was thinking is...if say, UNSW Med, have waaaay too many people with predicted UAIs of 99+ on their hands, then of course the UMAT scores would come to play to sort them out...

In conclusion, don't stuff up UMAT (duh...of course!!) and yeah, lol..I'm a year 12 student doing UMAT this year too..but my friend's advice to me IS:

"Must do well in UMAT. Each mark in the UMAT is worth TEN marks in the HSC"

That IS some practical advice! :p

shafqat

HSC
N/A
no if you get a predicted UAI +99 you are not guaranteed an interview. You must get a umat of at least 152 even if you get predicted 100
and no, every mark in umat isn’t really worth 10 in the hsc. If you don’t get a good uai you have little chance of getting in despite your umat score

Last edited:

latania

HSC
shafqat said:
no if you get a predicted UAI +99 you are not guaranteed an interview. You must get a umat of at least 152 even if you get predicted 100
and no, every mark in umat isn’t really worth 10 in the hsc. If you don’t get a good uai you have little chance of getting in despite your umat score
oh of course...you'd have to perform really well in both UMAT and HSC
but yeah..I haven't gone through all of this yet but what I figured out is that say you were disadvantaged in the predicted UAI and could have got an interview with like..one more point in the UAI..then lol, that IS a disadvantage? because you don't get your first-round interview, which is the main-round interview...whereas with some schools, if they do put their students up for a predicted UAI 99+, then there's a greater chance of getting that first-round interview, provided that they do reach the cut-offs, of course

shafqat

HSC
N/A
latania said:
oh of course...you'd have to perform really well in both UMAT and HSC
but yeah..I haven't gone through all of this yet but what I figured out is that say you were disadvantaged in the predicted UAI and could have got an interview with like..one more point in the UAI..then lol, that IS a disadvantage? because you don't get your first-round interview, which is the main-round interview...whereas with some schools, if they do put their students up for a predicted UAI 99+, then there's a greater chance of getting that first-round interview, provided that they do reach the cut-offs, of course
from what ive been told, both rounds of interview have ample spaces to give interviews to all those that could possible make the course. there is no disadvantage in having a second round interview
furthermore, if any schools consistently bump up their students uai, the faculty is aware of it, so most schools are pretty fair

latania

HSC
shafqat said:
from what ive been told, both rounds of interview have ample spaces to give interviews to all those that could possible make the course. there is no disadvantage in having a second round interview
furthermore, if any schools consistently bump up their students uai, the faculty is aware of it, so most schools are pretty fair
=) haha oh well...all this stuff really isn't concerning...no point knowing the details of it all without just trying one's best in UMAT and HSC..what the outcome will be, will be...

nit

HSC
Originally posted by Latania
=) haha oh well...all this stuff really isn't concerning...no point knowing the details of it all without just trying one's best in UMAT and HSC..what the outcome will be, will be...
That's a useful piece of advice there. Forget about working out what you might need to score in the umat, or a uai etc. Just work on doing as best as you can in each of those components. As for the conjecture regarding each umat mark being worth ten marks in the HSC, well that is a random, meaningless figure. Just look at the interview cut-offs for last year and that is ample information to work out what your goals for the year should be.

Kelvy

HSC
jfngslkjnsalgkjbdlhfb........med assignment spastic attack........salndfkaljsdnfnbasldf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)