Uai (1 Viewer)

ValentinesM

HSC
what HSC marks would you need to get an UAI of say, around 95, 98, and 99?

VenomP

HSC
Good ones;)

But really, it would all depend on what subjects you take, and how well they scale.

fjnpenguin

HSC
VenomP said:
Good ones;)

But really, it would all depend on what subjects you take, and how well they scale.
hey can u please tell me what this scaling up thing means?

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
VenomP said:
Good ones;)

No, not exactly. You could do shit doing subjects that scale well like eg whats the point of doing physics and failing it?
Just do the subjects that you enjoy and you will surely do well :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
VenomP said:
Good ones;)

I concur - it would depend in how well you do in those subjects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ness.xox said:
No, not exactly. You could do shit doing subjects that scale well like eg whats the point of doing physics and failing it?
Just do the subjects that you enjoy and you will surely do well :)
Absolutely agree. If I only cared about scaling, I would have done all the Latin Extension, English Extension 2, German Extenion, Music Extension, French Extension and etc. I would not even do Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies that I love.

If people only cared about scaling, there would be no one doing Visual Arts and other badly scaled subjects.

Scaling only works against you if you get less than Band 5 or Band 6 for some subjects. (Correct me if I am wrong).

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Scaling only works against you if you get less than Band 5 or Band 6 for some subjects. (Correct me if I am wrong).
Not exactly. Its hard to say if it works for your or against you as its hard to determine the neutral mark. However some subjects have pretty poor scaling even for a band 5 or band 6. For example in 2007 in Industrial Technology a HSC mark of 90 is equivalent to a 75 in Mathematics (i.e. they would both contribute the same to your UAI). IMO, that is pretty shit. Also a HSC mark of 99 in IT was equivalent to about 88 in Mathematics.

ValentinesM

HSC
VenomP said:
Good ones;)

I do
English Advanced
Maths Extension
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
French Continuers

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
me121 said:
Not exactly. Its hard to say if it works for your or against you as its hard to determine the neutral mark. However some subjects have pretty poor scaling even for a band 5 or band 6. For example in 2007 in Industrial Technology a HSC mark of 90 is equivalent to a 75 in Mathematics (i.e. they would both contribute the same to your UAI). IMO, that is pretty shit. Also a HSC mark of 99 in IT was equivalent to about 88 in Mathematics.
Damn, that's painful. :eek:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Mark576 said:
Damn, that's painful. :eek:
Yeah I know. It sucks. But you can blame the Board for putting different Industry options as the same course, and also the Board for making the standards for the course too low. Its too easy to get a high mark, and too many dumb people (in terms of their overall performance) do it.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
ValentinesM said:
I do
English Advanced
Maths Extension
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
French Continuers
Your subjects are all pretty high scaling so thats good - i dont think you should really worry about scaling. Just try and do your best in all of them.

If you want to work out what marks you need to get certain UAIs just play around with SAM. Even though its not 100% accurate it will probably give you a better idea of the marks you need then any of us could

HSC
lyounamu said:
Scaling only works against you if you get less than the state average in your respective subjects. For some subjects this might actually be a band 5 or 6 but it depends.

As for the original question, you would need band 6's for everything.

law

HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter what you do... you can get that uai you want by being within the top 3-5 ranks in your subjects and overall you would want hsc marks of 85 or over. To get high 90's in your uai you can afford to get a mid eighty but you must balance that out with a high ninety in something else... observe:

For me:

eng adv: 85
maths: 93
religion 2 unit: 96 (to balance out eng)
legal: 94
ancient: 94
ext eng: 85 (doesn't count)
ext hist: 85 (doesnt count)

uai approx: 98

Anyway a friend of mine did their hsc last year and got 77 in maths but balanced that out with 97 in eart/ enviro studies and nineties in her humanities to end up with a uai of 97.25

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
As long as a subject doesn't scale down too much, it's fine to do it. However, the following subjects are absolutely obscene, and nobody should do them if they intend to get a decent UAI (UAI >99). Also 4U English scales about as the same as 3U english. So 4U English is a total waste of time. Smart people don't do it.

Subjects not to do:
Standard English
General Math
Aboriginal Studies
Legal Studies (This has nothing to do with Law. Not even assumed knowledge)
Buisness Studies (Just do Economics instead)
Design and Technology
Food Technology
Textiles
Chinese
Visual Arts
PE

Subjects to do:
4U Math (You absolutely must do this wonderful subject)
3U Math
Chemistry
Physics
Adv.English (It's billions of times better than standard, in terms of scaling.)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
foram said:
As long as a subject doesn't scale down too much, it's fine to do it. However, the following subjects are absolutely obscene, and nobody should do them if they intend to get a decent UAI (UAI >99). Also 4U English scales about as the same as 3U english. So 4U English is a total waste of time. Smart people don't do it.

Subjects not to do:
Standard English
General Math
Aboriginal Studies
Legal Studies (This has nothing to do with Law. Not even assumed knowledge)
Buisness Studies (Just do Economics instead)
Design and Technology
Food Technology
Textiles
Chinese
Visual Arts
PE

Subjects to do:
4U Math (You absolutely must do this wonderful subject)
3U Math
Chemistry
Physics
Adv.English (It's billions of times better than standard, in terms of scaling.)

I totally disagree with almost every thing you said.

"a decent UAI (UAI >99)"
This is totally not true! I think anything in the 90's is excellent, and anything in the 80's is commendable.

"So 4U English is a total waste of time."
By no means does the amount of scaling reflect if the subject is a waste of time or not. People may have an interest in the subject, or enjoy it, or learn it. People do not (well they may, but they should not) just do subjects because a certain mark may scale better than another subject.

Another point is that doing 4U will add another unit, hence if it is better than another subject, then it will count rather than a different subject.

"Smart people don't do it."
What difference does it make if you are "smart" or not?

"Subjects not to do:"
You do what subjects you are interested in, subjects you like, subjects you want to do, or subjects that you think will be helpful in the future. You don't do subjects just because you think that they "scale high"! This would be stupid.

You know, not everyone who does the HSC gets a UAI! And not everyone who does the HSC wants to go to UNI.

"Subjects to do:
4U Math (You absolutely must do this wonderful subject)"

Why? What's so special about it? What if you don't like maths, or you are not very good at it. Its a lot better to get 60 or 70 in General Maths than 0 or 5 in 4U!

You can still get a UAI of 95, 98, and 99 without doing the subjects you say to do, and with doing the subjects you say not to do.

As I said, strongly oppose your views.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)