Maths: 78
Adv Eng: 88
Ext 1 Eng: 41
Ext 2 Eng: 48
Drama: 87
Dance: 70
UAI = 83.10
wat????...... u had 48/50 fro ext 2 ...
u had 2 high 80's how does that happen..........

u guys r seriously freakoing me out........ but some of the UAI'S just seem way lower than what u would imagine them to be... i mean it used to be that if u got 6 units at least mid band 5 ur Uai would surely be up there ... now it seems with even a 90 ur still not able to get an 85%.. oh well i don;t really understand the system and i'm not willing to waste much time doing so......

u guys all did well.... good luck with ur future carrer paths.....

Last edited:
HSC
j_davo24 said:
English (Advanced) 79
Mathematics 83
Mathematics Ext 1 29
Economics 82
IPT 88
Physics 78

UAI: 83.6

How come you feel ripped off? What were you're marks like?
Mathematics advanced - 84
English Advanced - 80
Chemistry - 75
Physics - 71
Ancient History - 86

UAI - 80.25

I'm assuming the Physics mark brought down my UAI significantly.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
physician said:
wat????...... u had 48/50 fro ext 2 ...
u had 2 high 80's how does that happen..........

u guys r seriously freakoing me out........ but some of the UAI'S just seem way lower than what u would imagine them to be... i mean it used to be that if u got 6 units at least mid band 5 ur Uai would surely be up there ... now it seems with even a 90 ur still not able to get an 85%.. oh well i don;t really understand the system and i'm not willing to waste much time doing so......

u guys all did well.... good luck with ur future carrer paths.....

dont freak out....wat ive noticed is that if ur marks are consistent ull get a betta UAI....i mean my marks were 85,87,89,90,91.....and that took my UAI up to 94.10...which is why u should always spend equal amount of time studying....dont focus too much on one subject....friends of mine got in the 80's and 70's and this i think brought their UAI down...try to be consistent...also another friend got 80s and 90s but all her subjects were the type that get scaled down...so yeh...the systems weird but if u stay consistent and get ur ranks well up there, then u got nothing to worry abt.....GOOD LUCK 05'ers......we set the bar pretty high.....:p

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
physician said:
.. i mean it used to be that if u got 6 units at least mid band 5 ur Uai would surely be up there ... now it seems with even a 90 ur still not able to get an 85%.. oh well i don;t really understand the system and i'm not willing to waste much time doing so.....

1. Everybody is getting better at the HSC, so its harder to get a higher UAI.
2. Your HSC mark doesnt have a correlation with your UAI, the UAC uses your raw marks, no your aligned marks. Therefore 'bands' really have nothing to do with UAI
3. UAI is not a percentage, it is a percentile rank.

S

Shuter

Cactus said:
2. Your HSC mark doesnt have a correlation with your UAI, the UAC uses your raw marks, no your aligned marks. Therefore 'bands' really have nothing to do with UAI
Really? I was under the impression the only results they received were our final moderated HSC marks. No exam mark, no assessment marks, just the finaly average mark for each subject, that's it.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Heres the process:

BOS gets 1. raw exam marks and 2. raw assesment marks

They align the raw exam marks, into bands. They also moderate your assesment marks. They average these 2 marks, to obtain your final aligned HSC mark.

However, UAC takes raw exam mark, and moderated assesment mark, and uses them. I hope that all made sense

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Oh yeah, after UAC gets the raw marks, they scale them to obtain your UAI.........

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Mathematics 72
English Std -- 80
Business Studies -- 85
IPT -- 87
Economics -- 80

NSW UAI = 82

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
pink_monkey said:
History Extension = too low/embarressing to mention (it wouldn't have been counted anyway)
HAHA! i'm with you there pink_monkey! My history extension mark was shocking.. i didn't think i went that bad.. but it didn't count towards the UAI so it's all good!

I got:
Advanced English: 79
General Maths: 79
Community and Family Studies: 83
Ancient History: 84
Society and Culture: 92

UAI: 82.05.. felt a bit ripped off! but hey... what can ya do!

SweetSeasons

HSC
nessie you got less ripped off then me and our subjects are about the same difficulty and we got similar marks

69^boi

HSC
N/A
i think if u got ya maths & eng marks in 80s then your uai could of been from 85-90 IMO.

S

Shuter

nessie_lee said:
HAHA! i'm with you there pink_monkey! My history extension mark was shocking.. i didn't think i went that bad.. but it didn't count towards the UAI so it's all good!

I got:
Advanced English: 79
General Maths: 79
Community and Family Studies: 83
Ancient History: 84
Society and Culture: 92

UAI: 82.05.. felt a bit ripped off! but hey... what can ya do!
Felt Ripped off? Compare to mine

Ad Eng: 77 (79)
Phyiscs: 84; Comm & Fam: 83
Economics 85; Ancient History 84
Bio: 88; Society and Culture: 92
Maths Ext 1: 65; Gen Maths: 79

plus MX2: 53* which doesn't count (like you Ancient Hist X)

*means I did not sit 2U Maths Advanced test but says I would have got equivalent of Band 5 in it (80-90).

Now I've got similar marks but in way harder subjects, and it's only 5 points more for my UAI of 86.90, so you can't feel ripped too much, what did you really expect to get?

SweetSeasons

HSC
yeah, I think nessie got what she deserved for those marks. I was expecting about 81 with mine

Miss_Mirage86

Full-Time Princess
HSC
eng adv: 73
gen maths: 78
ancient hist: 82
hospo: 84
pdhpe: 85
1 unit re that counts: 40/50

UAI: 79.75

SweetSeasons

HSC
I feel really ripped off it's like hard subjects and band 6's count for shit.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
SweetSeasons said:
yeah, I think nessie got what she deserved for those marks. I was expecting about 81 with mine
I said i felt a little bit ripped off, not completely roarted, don't get stuck into me ! gee!
And you know what.. you can't go comparing the difficulty of different subject. Each subject has it's difficulties and easy stuff.. It's a bunch of crap when people go comparing subjects. Seriously... one cannot help if they are not naturally gifted in the science/maths area, and shouldn't be penalised because of this.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
it is really crap that people who do well in say music or art get scaled down....
I really would love to go into music but I suck too much, so i need a much higher UAI....

SweetSeasons

HSC
I wasn't tryn to have a go at you nessie sorry. But I do think you can put tow subjects up against each other.

My best mark was Industrial Technology, I got a 90 for it. I rang the UAI ppl up to see what it got scaled down to and the dude said my 90 got scaled down to a 66.
I personaly think that is screwed. Industrial tech was in my opinion my hardest subject because if you make a mistake in the construction of your work it will effect every other little bit, or if you make a big one you may have to start again, you also spend lots of time out of school compleeting it. Also The exams are really hard, and are more like a business exam, I had to work really hard so I could get a decent mark in my exam and hence get a band 6.

I did
Adv English(76), Adv Math(77), Indust tech(90), Pe(82) and Biology(83).
Pe scales slightly down,you have to know so much content. Pe should not get scaled down.
Adv eng and bio scale up slightly, I think bio's scaling is similar to society and culture. Blah blah blah. That's all I mean about putting to subjects up against each other, our subjects Nessie, scale about the same and we got similar marks.

Oh wello, at leats I should get into uni

Last edited:

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
If you had it your way there would be no scaling at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)