Ultimate Guide to HSC Mathematics (2 Viewers)

legendfunk

HSC
Incorrect. You are exaggerating too much. I don't know what edition of the book you are referring to but at least the most recent ones hardly have typo.

Cambridge book is a great book. I agree with that. However, many questions are very unrealistic. On top of that, if you do only 2 Unit Mathematics, you shouldn't buy 3 Unit Cambridge.

Nice suggestion. I will take this on board.
We've still got the yellow "Two unit course for Years 11 & 12". It's probably just us, we're a public school starved of resources :cold:

Haha for you Cambridge-ers, I dropped from 3U to Advanced cause it was too hard :mad1: but I can't say that Cambridge doesn't help. Especially when my target is 99.9+ :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
We've still got the yellow "Two unit course for Years 11 & 12". It's probably just us, we're a public school starved of resources :cold:

Haha for you Cambridge-ers, I dropped from 3U to Advanced cause it was too hard :mad1: but I can't say that Cambridge doesn't help. Especially when my target is 99.9+ :D
Nah, I love that yellow book. It was my bible for 2 unit maths....

mzSUE

HSC
i hav my 1/2 yearly for maths this week and im stressing out.:mad1:
i've been doing past papers but i seem to keep forgetting formulas or use the wrong ones at times. anyone got tips on what i could do? urgh so frustrating!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i hav my 1/2 yearly for maths this week and im stressing out.:mad1:
i've been doing past papers but i seem to keep forgetting formulas or use the wrong ones at times. anyone got tips on what i could do? urgh so frustrating!!!
Doing past papers is fine. Keep doing that. However, for formulas, you just have to keep coming back to it to remember them.

Also, pay attention to the wording of the question so that you know what formula to use.

Good luck!

shaon0

HSC
I prefer to do older trial papers most of the way and put recent papers as last on the list for when you have the time for it. The reasons for this are:
- More than likely the types of questions in recent papers (particularly the harder ones) won't be asked again when it comes to the current year's paper. Teachers who set the HSC will have incentive to make it as different from recent years' trials/HSC as possible to ensure people don't just regurgitate the answers
- In your assessment tasks, teachers will more than likely source their questions from old trial or HSC papers
- Older papers usually contain a higher ratio of more difficult questions which prepare you for anything nasty in the current year's HSC or trial
same. Generally, Older papers have harder questions than newer ones.

jess.ford

HSC
A very useful tip I would like to add which extends on the "Attempt all questions" point above (particularly an issue in Extension 2):

In a multi-part question, if you cannot do part (i), that does NOT mean you cannot do part (ii) or (iii). If you get stuck on say Q7(a)(i), then move on and attempt Q7(a)(ii). Don't skip all of Q7(a) to Q7(b) just because you can't do part (i). This is particularly useful if part (i) is a prove/show question, because you are allowed to use the given result in (i) for part (ii) even though you may not have successfully proved it in part (i).

e.g.
A normal is drawn to the curve y = e2x at the point P(ln 2, 4). The normal cuts the x-axis at point Q.
(i) Show that that the equation of the normal is: x + 8y = 32 + ln 2
(ii) Find the coordinates of Q

If you get stuck or can't find the equation stated on the part (i), that does not mean you cannot do (ii). You can immediately do (ii), by subbing y = 0 in the GIVEN result x + 8y = 32 + ln 2 without having to prove it in (i).

From my experience as a tutor, I was actually surprised at how many people give up on a multi-part question just because they cannot penetrate part (i)...

Also a good tip is if u only no how to half finish a question STILL PUT IT IN coz u may still get some marks. In my half yearlys I still had two questions 2 go both worth 2 marks and I had like 2 mins so I just wrote down the formulas and got a mark 4 each which meant that I got band 6 instead of band 5

ptrgrgry

HSC
Wish I did mathematics extension(s). 2U is yawn-worthy. :mad1:

roosters93

HSC
Hey there, nice guide.
Just wondering, why do you strongly suggest to do really old past papers (i.e 80s and 90s)?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey there, nice guide.
Just wondering, why do you strongly suggest to do really old past papers (i.e 80s and 90s)?
Always great to practise as many past papers as possible (esp. HSC past papers) Don't try too old ones..(like 1960s...). Perhaps, if you have time, try from 1980s if not 1990s at least

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Always great to practise as many past papers as possible (esp. HSC past papers) Don't try too old ones..(like 1960s...). Perhaps, if you have time, try from 1980s if not 1990s at least
the 1960s ones are so weird... It's got stuff in it that's not relevant to our syllabus. Oh gosh.. I hate the font they use in hsc past papers. It's soooo :mad:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I did 1986 onwards... I think from 1992 are the most effective and good learning papers. In my personal opinion, the early papers are good to test your basic knowledge and build a little confidence in yourself.

pavinante

HSC
very helpful! our math teacher actually read this post to us in class today! so i decided to see for myself and join this forum. they got very helpful tips here i guess...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
very helpful! our math teacher actually read this post to us in class today! so i decided to see for myself and join this forum. they got very helpful tips here i guess...
lol, that's great.

iisisy

HSC
By any chance do you know where I can get my hands on all the formulas I need to remember for the General Maths exam? The ones not on the HSC Formula cheat sheet. Thanks!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Try the Understanding Maths series. There's a thin red booklet, it has ALL of the topics with all of the required formulas. :)

And good luck with your studies!
It's a fine book however, I would like to note the importance of memorising the formula through applying it through maths questions. There is absolutely no point in memorisng it if u don't know how to use it .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)