UMAT 2015 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
UMAT looks fun. Congratulations everyone if you got the mark you wanted / needed. If not, don't get too down there's always next year.

opopop

HSC
N/A
Umat Score of 82%tile
Predicted Atar: 99.4

What are my chances of getting interviews at UWA/University of Adelaide?
Thanks

caasss

HSC
Hey guys,

So I know everyone is really anxious at the moment so I thought I will share my experience from last year with you (I'm currently studying med at UNSW).

Your Section 1 and 2 scores are weighted more for pretty much all unis (not UNSW) but it's easier just to talk about percentiles (but of course if your section 1 and 2 scores are low and your section 3 is like 100 or chances are not very high)

I am "metropolitan syd" My percentile was 95th. And my individual section 'scores' were pretty much the same. all in the 60s
I got interviews to UNSW, UNE, UWS, Adelaide and Monash (had to reject because I didn't do chem :| wasted like 35$)

My friend also from metro syd with a 90th percentile got no interviews and she applied EVERYWHERE and her marks were similar across all three sections. She eventually got a second round interview to adelaide with a 99+ atar.

It definitely helps if you are rural or from western syd cause your cutoffs would be lower.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

deboiz

HSC
S1: 76
S2: 42
S3:80

basically s1 and 3 were 99-100 percentile and s2 was 20th percentile...

overall 98 percentile tho! LOL

Ok the comment above me is scaring me bcos of my s2 mark. Anyone have any insights? I'm looking at a 99.8+ atar.

Last edited:

pe

HSC
When I did umat a couple of answers i changed wouldnt rub out properly... should i apply for a recheck?

QuakerParrot

HSC
I got scores of section 1: 62, section 2, 56 and section 3: 49 with a percentile of 75. I want to apply to UWS and I read that they are weighting section 3 even lower than half this year. Do I have any chance? I am from GWS.

Last edited:

caasss

HSC

Ok the comment above me is scaring me bcos of my s2 mark. Anyone have any insights? I'm looking at a 99.8+ atar.
Your section 1 might pull you up and they might check out your interpersonal skills via interview. I'd say you are still in with a good shot to get an interview but you would have to really wow them

redjnr

HSC

With a predicted ATAR of 99.8+ I'd say you are almost guaranteed an interview at UNSW (though not UoN/UNE JMP due to their 50 minimum section scores). I'm not sure where Caasss got her info from, but UNSW do not weight individual section scores (IIRC only UWS does), and only have a minimum requirement of 150 total mark (NOT INDIVIDUAL SECTION SCORES). This information is unequivocally outlined in their website:
https://med.unsw.edu.au/selection-criteria-local-applicants

Last edited:
Reactions: Oer

MrBeefJerky

HSC
is 60 percentile with an atar of 98 even enough for optom in UNSW? I'm seriously so worried right now.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can get into optom UNSW with 60 percentile. I know a few people with 98 atar with less than 60 percentile that got in

bangladesh

HSC

out for jmp, should be ok for unsw, uws and other unis

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
is 60 percentile with an atar of 98 even enough for optom in UNSW? I'm seriously so worried right now.
I doubt that with the percentile you have, at least you managed to reach the 60s. I suggest taking a gap year and take the UMAT again
I'm not too sure about optom cutoffs so I won't comment, but if it isn't enough a gap year isn't altogether necessary. Especially for UNSW optom, there is the Vision Science pathway that lets you direct transfer into optom, which I heard isn't altogether difficult to do if you give it a decent effort.

Your section 1 might pull you up and they might check out your interpersonal skills via interview. I'd say you are still in with a good shot to get an interview but you would have to really wow them
Well for WSU academics are a hurdle to get an interview, so if you meet the cutoff for their

I don't think the interviewers will be targeting anything based one's section marks, in fact I highly doubt the interviewers would know the applicant's UMAT at all, as it would introduce bias. Ranking comes down to using pure numbers. Even the interview in the end is just given a numerical score.

So yeah just have to wait and see if you meet interview cutoff, then give it your best shot :)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
With a predicted ATAR of 99.8+ I'd say you are almost guaranteed an interview at UNSW (though not UoN/UNE JMP due to their 50 minimum section scores). I'm not sure where Caasss got her info from, but UNSW do not weight individual section scores (IIRC only UWS does), and only have a minimum requirement of 150 total mark (NOT INDIVIDUAL SECTION SCORES). This information is unequivocally outlined in their website:
https://med.unsw.edu.au/selection-criteria-local-applicants
Correctamundo. But to be clear just in case anyone misreads this, the 150 isn't a hurdle, it's not like everyone with >150 is on equal footing. The higher your UMAT and predicted ATAR, the more likely you are to get an interview.

caasss

HSC
I'm not too sure about optom cutoffs so I won't comment, but if it isn't enough a gap year isn't altogether necessary. Especially for UNSW optom, there is the Vision Science pathway that lets you direct transfer into optom, which I heard isn't altogether difficult to do if you give it a decent effort.

Well for WSU academics are a hurdle to get an interview, so if you meet the cutoff for their

I don't think the interviewers will be targeting anything based one's section marks, in fact I highly doubt the interviewers would know the applicant's UMAT at all, as it would introduce bias. Ranking comes down to using pure numbers. Even the interview in the end is just given a numerical score.

So yeah just have to wait and see if you meet interview cutoff, then give it your best shot :)
Yeah I didn't mean that they would be like oo low section 2 its ok we will just give them an interview lol. UNSW interviews aren't mark based (a doctor who does the interview process let it slip but I won't disclose the actual process). UWS and UNE are definitely marked based interviews though. each questions is out of 2 ish marks.

BASICALLY DON'T STRESS ABOUT UMAT. IT'S DONE AND DUSTED. FOCUS ON YOUR HSC NOW. YOU CAN TRY UMAT AGAIN AND AGAIN OR EVEN GO DOWN THE POSTGRAD ROUTE. GOODLUCK EVERYONE!

Last edited:

m_wahwah

HSC
N/A
So what type of ATAR do I have to be looking at to get an interview at UNSW?

I got a 99%ile with a total score of 201.

Also how about UWS? I know they look at scores for each section and they count S3 the least, I got 72/56/73, so would the fact that S3 was my highest have any effect?

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Yeah I didn't mean that they would be like oo low section 2 its ok we will just give them an interview lol. UNSW interviews aren't mark based (a doctor who does the interview process let it slip but I won't disclose the actual process). UWS and UNE are definitely marked based interviews though. each questions is out of 2 ish marks.
Hmm, from the interviewers that I have spoken to, you have two interviewers, once you're done with the interview you go outside and they deliberate and they must agree on a single mark to give you based on how well you've done.
That's the reason why there are usually one or two people who have done an interview get called in to do another second round interview - the interviewers have disagreed on what score to give the applicant and can't come to a conclusion, so they do another one later on.

Not saying you're incorrect, this is just what I've been told. How would they combine with other scores/rank the interviews it if it's not mark-based?

redjnr

HSC
UNSW: I'd estimate 97+ ATAR to get an interview. 98+ to be safe, and as high as possible for the best chances - don't slack off now!
UWS: Just need to make their ATAR hurdle (which was ~95 for non GWS last year, lower for GWS). If that's no problem, then for UMAT I'd say you'll likely get an interview as your S1 and S2 should be sufficiently high enough, regardless of changes in S3 weighting. This is especially true if you're a GWS applicant (based on my marks last year)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
So what type of ATAR do I have to be looking at to get an interview at UNSW?

I got a 99%ile with a total score of 201.

Also how about UWS? I know they look at scores for each section and they count S3 the least, I got 72/56/73, so would the fact that S3 was my highest have any effect?
Congrats, that's a brilliant score. It should score you a UNSW interview if your predicted ATAR is anything in the vicinity of 97ish I think. I imagine it'll net you interviews with WSU and the JMP as well, even with their modifications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)