UMAT Discussion (1 Viewer)

Liqqeh

HSC
Hey all, just figured I'd mention that UMAT registration for 2008 is now open =D
So who's gonna be attending, and at which center?

Lordsion

HSC
Re: UMAT Registration

I will soon - i am going to armidale

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

Crap. My school is so fucking disorganised. The careers advisor quit at the end of last year and they still havent got another one. Does anyone know where it is held in Sydney?

BackCountrySnow

HSC

I had no idea...

thanks without wings and the OP.
lifesavers

nottellingu

HSC

Does anyone know how accurate the uai/umat table on the unsw website ? Is it a rough guide or ru guaranteed a position if u meet the two cut offs provided u have a decent interview ?

sm16

HSC

Saw the whole booklet thingy on it.....but where exactly do we get the registration form from????

I tried searching....theres no form on the website!...if someone can find it pls provide the link! Thanks!:eek:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

nottellingu said:
Does anyone know how accurate the uai/umat table on the unsw website ? Is it a rough guide or ru guaranteed a position if u meet the two cut offs provided u have a decent interview ?
Read it: the ones their are averages of the cut-off of previous years. It is obviously presumed the cut-off is higher then what is listed as the quality of the candidature is increasing every year.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC

nottellingu said:
Also depends how far above the interview cutoffs you are. If you JUST scrape these, you are incredibly unlikely to get in with merely a "decent" interview.

Wooz said:
Read it: the ones their are averages of the cut-off of previous years. It is obviously presumed the cut-off is higher then what is listed as the quality of the candidature is increasing every year.
But I think it also depends on the difficulty of the year's UMAT. Obviously if it's an easy UMAT then the cutoffs will be lower for that year than in previous years (since the cohort as a whole will have gotten lower UMAT scores). I know that this happened last year. Before UNSW released the new table of cutoffs, several of my friends were telling me how based on the table available from the previous year, they "shouldn't" have gotten a first round interview.

Last edited:

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC

I don't know if i should apply or not.

Do they have a specific listing of the degrees that require UMAT?

What constitutes as health science?

Phsycology and sport sciences?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

Medicine, Dentistry, some Optometry and some Pharmacy courses require UMAT.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

misbahf said:
Just go for it. I dont want to do medicine or anything medicine related (ie anything that you need to do the UMAT for) anymore but im just doing it for the slight chance (extreamly unlikely) that I change my mind then ive done it.

And also, if I get in and deciede that I dont want to do it I can go around saying "I couldve been a doctor if i wanted..." :uhhuh:

Liqqeh

HSC

misbahf said:
Yeah give it a go, should try to keep as many possibilities open as you can. It's a good $70 investment :)

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC

Okay, Thanks for your help.

BTW is there another way besides online registration to register?

.deimonic

HSC

Should I bother registering? It costs like $160 and I think I bombed out in my half yearlies :(......getting into medicine is so hard.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

The UMAT result that you recieve lasts for two years and there are other ways in such as entering as a non-standard i.e. transferring after one year and going through the selection process at some select universities. Ultimately it's your choice.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

Wooz said:
this is the most accurate statement about the tables. they are guides..
like some years have higher demand.. cos of a supply feature..

in years lik 2003 and 2004 intakes.. it was the change from 6000 to 8000 CSP those yrs.... alot of ppl applied and tried to take a couple of yrs then defer... locking in a nice 2000 saving per yr... on their CSP

in years when more places were introduced.. then the demand matched to supply.. lowering the req..

the UAI/UMAT/interview thingys are not publically scrutanised.. so we cannot be sure of the accuracy.. and there is good reason.. as noone likes to get sued ;)

the UMAT is not needed for JCU's MBBS program.. townsville

when i started medical school one thing was said to me..
"if the UMAT, yr 12 or the interview didnt get you.... then the exams, internship and the consultants will"...

getting into med school is like going to a selective school.. its not the end ... its just the disturbing/painful start :)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

.deimonic said:
Should I bother registering? It costs like $160 and I think I bombed out in my half yearlies :(......getting into medicine is so hard.
With a concession, you have to pay $70 only.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC

just a random question, but u know about the uai-umat tables they have on uni sites

they give umat scores as like 221 to a 95 Uai for example

isnt the Umat out of 110?

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC

The UMAT is scaled using a completely random method which the public is not privy to. So whilst there are technically 110 questions, it is not out of 110 - it is also possible to get over 100 for any single section (so it is not a percentage either).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)