UMAT : Nervous? Excited? Tensed? Suicidal? (1 Viewer)

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
Dude, bullcrap, i thought it was worth it, well i dont want to say that until i get my results, or ill look like a complete idiot if i fail. But it's really made me familiar with alot of the questions, and exposed me to really hard tests, which through practice have allowed my brain to work under stress, and under strict time. + boost my confidence when i get 99 percentile, but at times demolish it when i get around 35 lol. :(
In my opinion the acer booklets are tooooo easy (at times). 3 booklets is definitely not enough.
But having said that,i know heaps of people who passed through buying one acer booklet lol, and they got around 200.
Unfortunately im not naturally talented, i need endless practice and learning...
In my opinion i found section 3 hardest. If i take my time i get around 92 percentile, but under the time limit, and under presure i get around 40 !!
Wow i love to talk alot :S
heyy do you know how to work out the percentiles ? i dont know if thats a dumb question lol. i have no idea how im going, because i dont know whats a good mark and whats a bad mark :S like in reference to medentry?

luv2luvurmama

HSC
heyy do you know how to work out the percentiles ? i dont know if thats a dumb question lol. i have no idea how im going, because i dont know whats a good mark and whats a bad mark :S like in reference to medentry?
ur using med entry? If so, then if you complete the practise exams (not the quizes, they should tell you your raw mark and ur percentile)
I can kinda tell how ur going, give us your raw mark, and what exam number/quiz

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
ur using med entry? If so, then if you complete the practise exams (not the quizes, they should tell you your raw mark and ur percentile)
I can kinda tell how ur going, give us your raw mark, and what exam number/quiz
well i didn't do the actual course, just doing papers that i bought off people. =/ & only just started practicing. did sect 2 timed a lil while ago n got 22/30 ? planning to just practice as much as i can these next 4 days lol ><"

hollaholla

HSC
Dude, bullcrap, i thought it was worth it, well i dont want to say that until i get my results, or ill look like a complete idiot if i fail. But it's really made me familiar with alot of the questions, and exposed me to really hard tests, which through practice have allowed my brain to work under stress, and under strict time. + boost my confidence In my opinion the acer booklets are tooooo easy (at times). 3 booklets is definitely not enough.
But having said that,i know heaps of people who passed through buying one acer booklet lol, and they got around 200.
Unfortunately im not naturally talented, i need endless practice and learning...
In my opinion i found section 3 hardest. If i take my time i get around 92 percentile, but under the time limit, and under presure i get around 40 !!
Wow i love to talk alot :S
Okay sorry then ...i guess its different for different people. I would personally be very afraid of not going well in it having let my dad spend so much money on stuff..and i would panic and collapse . lol

kiniki

HSC
just curious, why are you guys doing UMAT when your HSC is this year? are yous only doing it to try and get into medicine...?

i'm interested in doing med science or some other sort of scientific avenue and later pursue medicine so I dunno if i should do UMAT next year as well.. ta :)

colorization

HSC
just curious, why are you guys doing UMAT when your HSC is this year? are yous only doing it to try and get into medicine...?

i'm interested in doing med science or some other sort of scientific avenue and later pursue medicine so I dunno if i should do UMAT next year as well.. ta :)
It really doesn't interfere with your study at all. In fact, its supposed to require very minimal preparation...

And we do it to get into undergrad med. Why waste a whole year by not doing it.

You don't need it for med science, and if your using that as a bridge into medicine, you will find that the GAMSAT is a whole lot harder, not to mention more competitive. You could be up against a professor with a phd in nuclear physics or so on.

hollaholla

HSC
ah okay thanks. hrrm well i would love to try but my hopes of getting past mid 90's in the HSC is....nil! :( good luck with it guys
do not be silly young one .
you have yet to enter the darkness.

Once in ..you may speak.

dolbinau

HSC
can someone please tell me what a decent mark is in the medentry papers ?
like for each section.

would just like to add
3 of my friends spent 700 doing the UMAT prep course last year
uai's respectively 96, 97, 99
not a single one got an interview.
my other friend just did the test because everyone else was doing it. Had no prep, had not even seen the type of questions till the exam. Aced the exam, got offered an interview & rejected because he wanted to do law LOL. Just a small sample which shows prep courses dont have anything to do with it
Lol, you cannot conclude that "Prep courses" don't work because a couple of people took them and didn't get a high enough score.

Who is to say what they would have got without them..

There is a study to suggest that Prep courses do work for section 3, but not for section 2 and 1. However, an issue with this study is the participants are ones that were interviewed (I.e. It doesn't consider what they would have got with/without a PREP course).

You come across a little anxious/defensive about not doing a PREP course :p.

Similarly, your analogy to STAT isn't very good apparently the STAT test is easier.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
Lol, you cannot conclude that "Prep courses" don't work because a couple of people took them and didn't get a high enough score.

Who is to say what they would have got without them..

There is a study to suggest that Prep courses do work for section 3, but not for section 2 and 1. However, an issue with this study is the participants are ones that were interviewed (I.e. It doesn't consider what they would have got with/without a PREP course).

You come across a little anxious/defensive about not doing a PREP course :p.

Similarly, your analogy to STAT isn't very good apparently the STAT test is easier.
i don't remember saying anything about STAT :S and i agree the STAT test is much easier =/. I said Pharmacy in general, as in, when you finish the course, its hard to find jobs =/ & And a lot of people got in last year because they reduced the UAI for it a fair bit.[ I also said, that i wasnt SURE so if you disagree or have your own research just ignore what I've said :D ]

Prep courses dont necessarily work for section 3, its just exercising your mind to figure out how to work the patterns you know ? Doesn't mean you have to do a Prep course, just do enough papers so your mind gets used to it ( and i agree this is true, its happened to me)

Lol, my parents and i went through a whole month arguing about these courses. They didnt want me doing UMAT without the courses but i refused. I just gave an example of 3 people because i remember their UAI's. However i had heaps of people in my school last year go through the prep courses and they made no difference at all.

The prep courses are basically just practising the papers. My other friend who got in last year told me to buy medentry papers and just practice as much as i could. Apparently the ' guidance ' isnt anything extraordinary its just the practice that helps. When you can buy the papers for 60 bucks why would you do a prep course :S

I was just trying to give hope to the people who couldn't do the Prep courses and think that its necessary, because really its not, and I've seen that time and time again the past 3 years.

However if you think it'll help you and you want to do it by all means go ahead. But that was just my two cents. I just think those companies are taking advantage of young people who really want to get into med. Unless you have a success rate of about 98-100% you should not be charging THAT much for a course, its ridiculous :S

Oh, and I didn't pick up on the anxious/defensive thing at all :S I'm pretty blehh about UMAT because the course that i want to do has 2 other alternatives and they're my first priorities right now :D I'v only started to practice last night because well, since i spent 160bucks might as well give it a shot ( plus my friends are going to ask what i got and i don't want to sound completely dumb lol )

I think you're reading a bit too much into my post :p

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I cant believe people like you are attempting to become doctors lol!
(Having said that, i wonder the same thing about my self too :S)
doctors need a sense of humour. and u cant expect much from a first year. we are just like all other first years straight out of high school: innocent, naive, no sense of direction and no idea why we are even doing the course. if u are feeling the same way, then u know med is the right course for u.

freq707

HSC
doctors need a sense of humour.
amen to this..makes me feel good...purely because a good 90% of the time my conversation is made up of immature humour haha

and just think, if all doctors had a sense of humour...life would be like Scrubs...wouldnt that be amazing! haha

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
doctors need a sense of humour. and u cant expect much from a first year. we are just like all other first years straight out of high school: innocent, naive, no sense of direction and no idea why we are even doing the course. if u are feeling the same way, then u know med is the right course for u.
+1
:music:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
amen to this..makes me feel good...purely because a good 90% of the time my conversation is made up of immature humour haha

and just think, if all doctors had a sense of humour...life would be like Scrubs...wouldnt that be amazing! haha

Not really, because they seem like a bunch of incompetent idiots who don't know what they're doing (I'm referring to Scrubs). Personally, I'd prefer a Dr like HOUSE; he's arrogant, obnoxious, has little pity, but knows what he's doing.

Alternatively, Addison Montgomery (Not sure on spelling). She's sexy, has plenty of pity and therefore if I'm terminal, may give pity secks.

Ahhhh aww just membered shez a gynecologist

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
good luck boiz and girlz. give it ur best and then immediately focus on getting the best ATAR you can, worry about the results/interview etc later.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
omg my s3 is soo low. btw if you don't have the actual med-entry or you want to compare your results there's a site where people have posted up their med-entry scores and what %tiles they got for that paper which you can use for reference.

If you're using med-entry, face2face or have the official umat papers then you can post and view results for those as well.

Link: Med: Discuss UMAT Prep. results

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
See you all there tomorrow. I'm going to shut down this comp and spend the rest of today studying for the test tomorrow. Probably crash out at around 3.00pm and wake up 4.00am Wednesday morning.

Wish me luck friends.

Kindest regards,

Bacilli

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)