UMAT SCORE 300, UAI 100/ ENTER 99.95-which uni wuld u choose (1 Viewer)

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
Melbourne, Monash University = definitely
hey, thats where i m at the moment, hahahhah
hey, how is the ethics session going in med course people ?
, i have found it B-O-R-I-N-G,
i wonder when do we get to play and poke dead people , i m looking forward for that :).

aussiechica7

HSC
i love newcastle (uncle)! it was my first choice

i think my prefs were: uncle, umelb, monash, unsw, jcu, uq, uad, uwa, usyd or something along those lines when i first applied. a lot of it had to do with starting med as soon as possible and living somewhat close 2 family. (jcu, although far from where i lived, had a strong focus on tropical medicine. i put uq b4 uad because i didn't want to live in adelaide- sorry pointy).

2nd time i applied they were uncle, unsw, uws, utas.

i love how uncle were the first australian uni to introduce pbl. everyone pretty much said "u guys r crazy biatches" and now most med schools have copied them :). yay for innovation.

also it fosters a lot ofindependence, self-directed learning, teamwork skills and early clinical exposure (first hospital round in wk 5, yay!)

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
do u newcastle and umelb use the same system? Yes the PBL system, 2 step learning.
However, do they have the same course outline/content?

Wat is the most difficult med uni to get into in australia?

aussiechica7

HSC
Yeah, I'd probably agree with USyd and UMelb being the top 2. After that I'm not sure, I think Monash and UNSW would be about equal.

It really depends what you're talking about. If its to do with academic and UMAT marks, then the above. If its to do with interview skills, probably JCU and UNCLE? It varies from uni to uni.

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
Monash beats all the med UNis in Aus
it's one of the top UNi's around the world ( After ANU , of-course )

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
LottoX said:
Stupid Monash wouldn't have given me an interview while all other UMAT Universities would've. Lame :(

ohh, that's sad, but babe, how did u go with ur UMat score ? if u nailed it , they wud have no choice to give u an interview.
i got interviews from all the UNIs, :D
by the way , how u finding the ethics session???? ( if u r studying it at the moment)

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
lol, i was falling:sleep: , while the professor was going blah blah , blah , blah,
i just studied most of it while watching TV at my cosy apartment:D
i m just anxiously wating for the practical to start , then the real fun will begin ,
yahooooooo, :cool:

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
i thought usyd doesnt do undergrad med?
ethics wuld be pretty boring, just from the amount my cuzin talks about it,

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
yeh where do they till u which uni is top ranked for med?

un 1

HSC
N/A
nor is the grass green
Umelb is the to uni 4 med, bcz i said so(this might be the reason y u wuldnt think it wz the top uni 4 med).
It also produces the most surgeons>>>

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
un said:
nor is the grass green
Umelb is the to uni 4 med, bcz i said so(this might be the reason y u wuldnt think it wz the top uni 4 med).
It also produces the most surgeons>>>
Not sure abt Umelb:rolleyes: but monash beats everyone and it's a well known UNi .
by the way , no need to brag on abt wht u said ( no body cares ), at the end of the day a talented & intelligent doctor will get his/her recognition no matter which UNiverstiy he/she graduates from.

P.S : arrogant attitude = gets u no-where zone and gets a kick in the guts at some stage. :D

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
aussiechica7 said:
velox, according to who/what authority?
THES, and melb has a very good reputation in the UK (where my extended family live and work). Not sure about the US though. They recently had 1 or 2 rhodes scholars. The THES rankings are good as international students go by them, hence smarter internationals, hence bringing up the rep overseas also.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli it goes for their Grad programme alumni.. and staff .. not their undertgrad students..
i think this is a good point to raise.. but it will take forever.. to discuss the finer points

frankly id would take all ranking systems with about 3kg (eqv to about 6lb) of salt .. THES researchers recently in a Qld conference .. openly admitted their system had flaws in the Australian.. and i think that u need to realise the scope of all studies... methodology and result bias..

also making broad objective statements without qualifers is actualli flawed.. given our desire to generalise and simplify decision making when they are a lil more difficult.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Actually, a lot of the scoring for those rankings are a lot more subjective than mere research. Then I don't know wtf you're going on about with "alumni". I don't see wtf that has to do with anything.
2+2 = 4. It's that simple =/ Their alumni produce good quality research hence the unis ranking goes up....

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actualli it goes for their Grad programme alumni.. and staff .. not their undertgrad students..
i think this is a good point to raise.. but it will take forever.. to discuss the finer points

frankly id would take all ranking systems with about 3kg (eqv to about 6lb) of salt .. THES researchers recently in a Qld conference .. openly admitted their system had flaws in the Australian.. and i think that u need to realise the scope of all studies... methodology and result bias..

also making broad objective statements without qualifers is actualli flawed.. given our desire to generalise and simplify decision making when they are a lil more difficult.
Agree:D

aussiechica7

HSC
Pardon me, but I think its the height of ignorance to assume one university is the best university just because you think it is. Studies can be used to support any university but I don't think that a particular university producing more surgeons, or having more research papers published, necessarily means it will be the best university for training clinical doctors. Please don't misunderstand me, I have the utmost respect for the medical programs at UMelb and Monash, but I would certainly not label them as the "best" for the somewhat subjective reasons you've listed.
At the end of the day, I got my first choice of university, and I will be a doctor quicker than most of you (5 year degree), so I'm happy :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)