UMAT test 2009 (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
No, that's not the UMAT
GAMSAT assesses Bio, Chem and Phys

UMAT is more like a general test of skill (analytics, etc)
Hmm, so those intending to do medicine should undertake Biology, Chemistry and Physics at High School?

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if someone didn't undertake all those three sciences and decided that they wanted to do medicine late into Year 12?

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
Hmm, so those intending to do medicine should undertake Biology, Chemistry and Physics at High School?

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if someone didn't undertake all those three sciences and decided that they wanted to do medicine late into Year 12?
i only take chem, and want to do med.
eng is the only assumed knowledge, and chem is recommended.

if you end up having to do the gamsat, you might as well study it closer to that time. you'll forget all the hsc knowledge, and besides half of the stuff taught at hsc level is probably useless.

-::Sanni::-

HSC

You could do a bridging course at Uni. And you don't have to take physics at high school. I've been told that you don't really need to have all the physics knowledge when studying the med course, just the really basic stuff.

I started off with doing all three sciences but I dropped physics coz I didn't like it (I'm SO glad I did! XD)

lionking1191

HSC
No, that's not the UMAT
GAMSAT assesses Bio, Chem and Phys

UMAT is more like a general test of skill (analytics, etc)
yep thats for the science section. which is a kind of general knowledge test. GAMSAT also has a reading section and a writing section, so with all 3 it comes to more than 4 hours :O

just do whatever you enjoy/is good at in hs, if you are really set on medicine there's really no subjects that you HAVE to do. chemistry is a pre-req in victoria, and assumed knowledge in NSW. other than that you don't have to do any.

dp624

HSC

No, not needed at all

The chem and bio are 1st year uni equiv and phys is HSC equiv

so what you need (if you want postgrad med) will be Adv Sci or similar

for undegrad, there's nothing really needed (eng adv lol) - UMAT is not subject based

Lordsion

HSC
Well Based On This:

• UAI: 95.55
  • Rural Student
  • UMAT I guess around 50-60
(Rural - the highest UAI at my school was 96.6 - i came second)

(UMAT - my friend got 68, and he is heaps better than me in problem solving and maths but i am heaps better in social situations and making decisons, so i am guessing my UMAT may be 10 points lower than his??!)

Do i have a chance to get into medicine? I really like UNE and UNewcastle

Can someone please explain how the UMAT of 60 or .... 70 mark or whatever is achieved, do they get the three raw marks and average them or something lol because I have no idea.

lionking1191

HSC
Well Based On This:

• Rural Student

(UMAT - my friend got 68, and he is heaps better than me in problem solving and maths but i am heaps better in social situations and making decisons, so i am guessing my UMAT may be 10 points lower than his??!)

Can someone please explain how the UMAT of 60 or .... 70 mark or whatever is achieved, do they get the three raw marks and average them or something lol because I have no idea.
you got a pretty good chance, especially if you are rural. at UWS and UNCLE you'd be very competitive even if you are not rural (if you do well in the interview).

if you are going for the JMP it's allegedly totally based on the interview so if you got one then you are all set. i think they take 1 in 3 (or 1 in 2.6)? can't remember

UMAT score of 60 would be decent, around 90pct. you'd want this at least if you want to get an interview at newcastle (if ur not local) or UWS (if u aren't GWS). 70 is very very good, 100pct. the score is the average scaled mark of all 3 sections. so if you got say 50 in s1, 70 in s2 and 60 in s3 your UMAT aggregate would be 180, or 60 on your report card.

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Well Based On This:

• Rural Student

You've got a good shot, no point dwelling on it now. Just wait untill 9pm tonight!

Lordsion

HSC
What do you think would be the lowest UMAT score i could maybe get whilst still having a chance?

I think i may be under/over estimating my possible score. I have no idea.

lionking1191

HSC
What do you think would be the lowest UMAT score i could maybe get whilst still having a chance?

I think i may be under/over estimating my possible score. I have no idea.
cut-off for UNCLE this year was around 178

umfaan

HSC
i do not recommend downloading scanned medentry and face2face materials of illegal sites for practice...

i studied two nights before and got 190 something, i think i would have got 200+ if i did the $1000 courses but who cares lol

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
i do not recommend downloading scanned medentry and face2face materials of illegal sites for practice...
would you happen to know of any sites? :p
pm me with them please! thanks

-::Sanni::-

HSC
Too true...which is so sad.

Ah well! I'm doing both MedEntry and Face2Face, but I got Face2Face 2nd hand materials! ^^ I'm ready to start studying! XD But...maybe tomorrow. I'm so tired... <= If anyone asks, I'm not trying to procrastinate XD I really shouldn't! NOT this year!!! Mwahaha! I'm gonna kill the UMAT test and any Uni exams this year! >_<

lionking1191

HSC
Too true...which is so sad.

Ah well! I'm doing both MedEntry and Face2Face, but I got Face2Face 2nd hand materials! ^^ I'm ready to start studying! XD But...maybe tomorrow. I'm so tired... <= If anyone asks, I'm not trying to procrastinate XD I really shouldn't! NOT this year!!! Mwahaha! I'm gonna kill the UMAT test and any Uni exams this year! >_<
dw a year is HEAPs of time. i only started the holiday before UMAT :mad1:

tambourine

HSC
I realise that there are some posts about UMAT and I apologise if something like this has already been posted up!

I did the UMAT test in 2008 and...well...I didn't do so well! XD SO I'm going to try again this year!

Could someone please give me some ideas on how to improve my UMAT score? Preferably someone who has done the test (and done super well! XD), but any help would be wonderfull!

My main problem is Section one. I only finished half of it in the UMAT test! :'( So some pointers for this section would be SUPERB!

Section two was okay. I actually quite enjoy section two!!! :) It's very interesting. But they do have some big complicated words at times and if anyone has come across a wierd one, could you please post it?

And finally section three. OMG.... o_O It's interesting to do but not in during a time limit... Stupid puzzles -_-'

So PLEASE HELP! If I can't get an interview for medicine this year, I might not try again.... I really, really want to study med at UNSW! :'(

omgosh i feel exactly the same about the sections....i am sooo not gonna give up on medicine!!! i've wanted to do it for ages and i'm not gonna let the UMAT get in the way of it lol

UNSW med would be great!!!!

don't give up :)

holy moly!!!!
i thought GAMSAT was easier....wow!!!
lol i sooooooooo need to resit UMAT then and ace it...omgosh lol

haha again i agree with u....i suck at physics and hate it so much!!!

lol and i wanted to do pharmacy before and med as well *sigh*

David...I have no medically inclined friends.... >_< No one in my high school wanted to do medicine. No one in my high school is going to university this year other than me (except for maybe just one other person).... T_T

lol i was the only one in my high school who wanted to do med too!!
i'm gonna stop reading this thread lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)