UMAT thoughts and discussion (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
What did you guys think about it? Which questions did you find hard, and which questions did you find easy? how did you feel about the new style of the test? All mixed up questions...

GibsonES335

HSC
Long time reader, first time poster here...

I sat both last year and this year. Really concerned that i found this year harder. Weird thing is, I did do alot of prep this time round using MedEntry. I did about 5 practice papers and many other drills etc. By the end of my preparations I had begun getting 70th percentiles and 65th percentiles for full practice exams. This really boosted my confidence because i saw it as, 'im getting 70th percentile out of all those preparing (through MedEntry), this isnt against the whole state, so i could expect my percentile to be higher for the real exam'.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

After sitting it today, my confidence has been shattered. Im not sure if i just wasnt in the zone because it was an early start to get to the centre by 8, however i didnt feel i went all that well. Im hoping im just paranoid.

What question stumped you? - I was pretty stumped on the credit card number question and the one about the game with the buttons and certain buttons meant you moved forward, others back etc. Also - heaps of 'pick the middle' questions which arent my strength either.

Did anyone else use a preparation course? what percentiles do you think would be enough through a prep course to be confident with the real exam?

vtx

HSC
N/A
Fuck the UMAT and medicine.
There are many other ways to make money if it was for the money and I don't want the prestige that comes with medicine. These are the two reasons why people want it so badly. Anything else i a lie. I never wanted to do medicine anyway. Seems like a stupid idea to spend 13 years rote-learning then about 30 years working with disgusting patients before I die. Fuck that... it is only one life I will live and death is inevitable, might as well do something I enjoy.

HSC
180 mins, 134 questions, 81 sec per question.

Surprisingly, in the whole exam, I was only completely stumped on 1 particular question.
I wish I was you! I struggled my way through half the test! Ohh well, UMAT 2014 here I come..

These are the two reasons why people want it so badly. Anything else i a lie.
Not completely true. Obviously for most it seems the only option but for people like myself we have real reasons on why we want to do medicine and the two you posted haven't got anything to do with my choice or decision for wanting to do med!

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
There are many other ways to make money if it was for the money and I don't want the prestige that comes with medicine. These are the two reasons why people want it so badly. Anything else i a lie. I never wanted to do medicine anyway. Seems like a stupid idea to spend 13 years rote-learning then about 30 years working with disgusting patients before I die. Fuck that... it is only one life I will live and death is inevitable, might as well do something I enjoy.
The bold I absolutey agree, the red, thats, wow, extremely true and thought provoking....

which is why im trying out for acting school, wanna be the next Rove! :p haha

hayabusaboston

HSC
I wish I was you! I struggled my way through half the test! Ohh well, UMAT 2014 here I come..

Not completely true. Obviously for most it seems the only option but for people like myself we have real reasons on why we want to do medicine and the two you posted haven't got anything to do with my choice or decision for wanting to do med!
I was completely stumped on question 124, every other question I varied from 60%-100% confidence in my answer. Q123 and 125 were one of those where I had 60% confidence lol. Probs cos after so much time in hardcore focus I was beginning to lose track of my thoughts very easily.

iBibah

HSC

The bold I absolutey agree, the red, thats, wow, extremely true and thought provoking....

which is why im trying out for acting school, wanna be the next Rove! :p haha

GibsonES335

HSC
I've read a few things, sounds like some people get different papers however the bulk get the same one. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me.

124 rings a bell, was that a non verbal question?

starshine02

HSC
After sitting it today, my confidence has been shattered. Im not sure if i just wasnt in the zone because it was an early start to get to the centre by 8, however i didnt feel i went all that well. Im hoping im just paranoid.

What question stumped you? - I was pretty stumped on the credit card number question and the one about the game with the buttons and certain buttons meant you moved forward, others back etc. Also - heaps of 'pick the middle' questions which arent my strength either.
I think I got there way too early so I just found friends/people and started talking to them to pass time. Lining up to the bathroom wasted sufficient time too lol

I thought the game questions were easy? But I spent ages on the golden ratio and the butterfly question. The more I think about it, the more I feel like my answers are wrong so I'm just gonna ignore it for now. Hopefully I won't have to redo umat next year :')

GibsonES335

HSC
Yeah i got stuck in traffic so that completely stressed me out for the whole trip there... may have thrown me out a bit...

Hmmm i dunno the game questions i struggled with, all of the questions around experiments or graphs or 'can it be deducted from the above' i was pretty sweet with. Mainly the games, pick the middle and a couple of the emotional intelligence questions i didnt know the meaning of words for.

Hoping for a percentile of 80 ish so i can get into newcastle. Last year the cut off for Newcastle was suspected to be 59. I got about 50 last year, its just hard to tell if raising my over all score by 10 or so points is a matter of getting a few more questions right, or 30 more questions right...

SanjoyM

HSC
In all honesty, this year's exam was quite okay. In fact, better than last year.
LOVED the new format.

SanjoyM

HSC
Guys! Remember, there are ALWAYS alternative routes for attaining a position in Medicine.
Sitting the UMAT for the first time is always the HARDEST. It's a completely new experience, thus you are anxious, nervous.

hayabusaboston

HSC
The sec 3 questions were easiest imo, except for like 2 pick the middles where there was like five 6x6 boxes, with a bunch of different shapes and colours and shit, and it was so fucking hard to pick out exactly what was going on lol. Got them in the end after many minutes deliberating the exact positions of each tiny square.
And the buttons question I didnt understand what it was saying for like 10 mins, then i had an epiphany and realised what to do haha.
And sec 2 questions were sometimes a bit harder than I was expecting. And sec 1! holy shit there was like hardly any hardcore probability verbal reasoning/logic q's, except for the policeman, judge and politician one.

leesh95

HSC
Long time reader, first time poster here...

I sat both last year and this year. Really concerned that i found this year harder. Weird thing is, I did do alot of prep this time round using MedEntry. I did about 5 practice papers and many other drills etc. By the end of my preparations I had begun getting 70th percentiles and 65th percentiles for full practice exams. This really boosted my confidence because i saw it as, 'im getting 70th percentile out of all those preparing (through MedEntry), this isnt against the whole state, so i could expect my percentile to be higher for the real exam'.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

Did anyone else use a preparation course? what percentiles do you think would be enough through a prep course to be confident with the real exam?
The game button question was my favourite question. It was the only one I think I did really well in. I couldn't do the one with the grid.

iBibah

HSC
The sec 3 questions were easiest imo, except for like 2 pick the middles where there was like five 6x6 boxes, with a bunch of different shapes and colours and shit, and it was so fucking hard to pick out exactly what was going on lol. Got them in the end after many minutes deliberating the exact positions of each tiny square.
And the buttons question I didnt understand what it was saying for like 10 mins, then i had an epiphany and realised what to do haha.
And sec 2 questions were sometimes a bit harder than I was expecting. And sec 1! holy shit there was like hardly any hardcore probability verbal reasoning/logic q's, except for the policeman, judge and politician one.
I was a bit disappointed there weren't more problem solving questions like the politician one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)