UMAT thoughts and discussion (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
Fuck that! Verbal problem solving is the most annoying and time consuming. Nonverbal is far more enjoyable.
Well there are going to be 48 section questions either way, so I would rather problem solving ones then the massive walls of texts about some disease.

enoilgam

HSC
Fuck the UMAT and medicine.
There are many other ways to make money if it was for the money and I don't want the prestige that comes with medicine. These are the two reasons why people want it so badly. Anything else i a lie. I never wanted to do medicine anyway. Seems like a stupid idea to spend 13 years rote-learning then about 30 years working with disgusting patients before I die. Fuck that... it is only one life I will live and death is inevitable, might as well do something I enjoy.
I wanted Medicine badly and I didnt want it for these reasons. First, there are easier ways to make money. Besides, Doctors generally earn a lot more then my desired salary (I'm not a big spender or a luxurious person). Second, prestige is worthless to me - I could care less if others think I have a great/lousy career.

asdfqwerty

HSC
2nd time doing it...urgh seriously still suffering from post-UMAT anxiety. Feeling like shit.

leesh95

HSC
My career advisor said that the chances of getting into medicine through alternative pathways are very limited. How true is this? I am freaking out.

mac1996

HSC
My career advisor said that the chances of getting into medicine through alternative pathways are very limited. How true is this? I am freaking out.
i dont think this is true
in fact, i think its a lot easier doing it through alternative pathways, though it is a lot more time consuming

iBibah

HSC
Think of it not as a probability, but determination + hard work + aptitude. Medicine is arguably he hardest course to get into in Australia, it's difficult for anyone.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Well there are going to be 48 section questions either way, so I would rather problem solving ones then the massive walls of texts about some disease.
Problem solving ones are massive walls of text lol... the verbal problem solving anyway.

U know difference between verbal and non verbal dont u?

The ones where its like WHAT INFLUENCES XYZ based on the wall of text above. Thats what I hate.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wish I was you! I struggled my way through half the test! Ohh well, UMAT 2014 here I come..

Not completely true. Obviously for most it seems the only option but for people like myself we have real reasons on why we want to do medicine and the two you posted haven't got anything to do with my choice or decision for wanting to do med!
Be careful with what you wish for.

hayabusaboston

HSC
hohoho agreed Someth1ng. Noone wants to be me. You'd be living in a lurid world of bright colours and hypersonic sounds and insanity HOHOHO

iBibah

HSC
Problem solving ones are massive walls of text lol... the verbal problem solving anyway.

U know difference between verbal and non verbal dont u?

The ones where its like WHAT INFLUENCES XYZ based on the wall of text above. Thats what I hate.
I thought you meant non-verbal as in section 3 lol
but yeh I hate those too.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
I wanted Medicine badly and I didnt want it for these reasons.
Then why did you do all literature and no science?

I'm personally disgusted when people refuse to be assessed on subjects related to their uni course and get in anyway.

If you aren't good at or enjoy something enough to do it in HS, why are you trying to get in at uni?

hayabusaboston

HSC
I thought you meant non-verbal as in section 3 lol
but yeh I hate those too.
oh did I say nonverbal when I meant verbal? my bad haha.

Well.

Yea in practice papers its like HEY DRAW UP A MASSIVE CHART AND PUT IN ALL THE POSSIBILITIES for who went to the strip club on saturday out of johnny, maddy, alex, britt, barbara, mitch and michael, if two of them always lie, two never lie, one sometimes lies, one always lies on tuesday and wednesday, and on friday he sometimes lies, and on monday he always tells the truth. lol.

Didnt see any of that today. Which is good. Only simple versions of it.

And there were some of the massive wall of text ones, but I went quite OK with them, better than I was expecting myself to. Or so i think. who knows, I could have gotten them all wrong haha.

enoilgam

HSC

I'm personally disgusted when people refuse to be assessed on subjects related to their uni course and get in anyway.

If you aren't good at or enjoy something enough to do it in HS, why are you trying to get in at uni?
Because I needed the best ATAR possible and since I am better at the humanities, I figured that gave me the best chance possible. What you are good at and what you enjoy arent always the same.

In any event, it's mostly a moot point because HSC sciences and uni sciences are very different and divergent. Its kind of like telling a person off for doing Law despite the fact that they havent done Legal Studies.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Because I needed the best ATAR possible and since I am better at the humanities, I figured that gave me the best chance possible. What you are good at and what you enjoy arent always the same.
I srsly dont understand how u can be good at something but dislike it. Like wtf.
If ur good at it and kickass against others in competition, HOW CAN U NOT BE HAVING FUN??!?!? BEATING OTHER PEOPLE!??!

enoilgam

HSC
I srsly dont understand how u can be good at something but dislike it. Like wtf.
If ur good at it and kickass against others in competition, HOW CAN U NOT BE HAVING FUN??!?!? BEATING OTHER PEOPLE!??!
In many cases, people enjoy what they are good at. For me, that isnt the case - for years people told me I was best suited to Law and I believe I definitely had the skills for it - but I absolutely hated the degree.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

While, I think it's good to do subjects which are related to your career-interests or university course-interests.... like doing Business Studies/Economics when you are aiming for Economics or Commerce in uni or doing Bio/Chem when you are aiming for medicine or doing Legal Studies perhaps when aiming for Law... and so on.

People and universities just don't really care.

Imagine some guy who got 98 ATAR and loved legal studies + other humanities.

Some other guy got 99.7 and did the Asian 4 [Adv Eng, 4U, Chem, Phys].

Who is going to get accepted for USYD law?

The 2nd guy --> cause he got the ATAR for it.

There's plenty of people out there who got into Law and never even touched Legal Studies during Year 11 or 12.
There's plenty of people out there who got into Commerce and never even touched any form of Social Science during Year 11 or 12.
There's bound to be some people who never touched Chem/Bio yet still did Medicine.

I.e. No-one really cares whether you're passionate about a HSC subject that is related to your university course...

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
you dont need hsc bio for medicine at all, there are quite a few differences and all the relevant hsc stuff is pretty much covered in the first two weeks of uni

there is a bit of chem too, but again the relevant hsc stuff is covered easily over a short period of time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)