UMAT VS Trials (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
Hey my trials start 2 days after UMAT exam so im confused how to prioritise
In the holidays ive probably done 3 hours UMAT and 3-4 hours other subjects daily
But im wondering should i spend more time on UMAT? TBH i didnt even start to 'study' for it properly until these holidays, just did 6-7 practice papers throughout the year. my results are pretty good for each test about 70-75%. In school im probably sitting at 97ish ATAR but my trials are worth quite a lot (30%). Im kind of scared if i spend too much time on school ill go down in UMAT and vice versa

Another problem i have is i find it impossible to sit for 3 hours straight and do a UMAT paper cause i get really fidgety just sitting down for long. does any one else get that?/
THANKS!

Medman

HSC
I would think they are equally important but it depends on how much you want to pursue medicine. If you want to pursue medicine or else you will die then you will need a better UMAT score. Considering your ATAR is around 97 UNSW probably won't give you an offer so your chances are UNCLE or UWS (If you live in GWS) in which case the UMAT and interview will count more towards your final acceptance. In UNCLE it's 100% interview vs 2/3 interview 1/3 UMAT for UWS if you get above the ATAR threshold. If you are unsure about medicine I would concentrate more on ATAR as it is probably more important.

Out of my curiosity why are you choosing medicine as a career?

MilkDrinker

HSC
In my opinion, if you have the ATAR required for the course that requires your UMAT AND your backup course, then you can be a bit lenient with the Trials (still focus on it) but take some of the time away and put it into the UMAT prep.

However, if you are doubtful that your ATAR is what you require it to be, then I would consider focussing more on the trials, because you would not want to risk losing your opportunity for your backup course. It may not be ideal having a great UMAT if your ATAR isn't sufficient. So what you need to do is weight out your requirements for ATAR and UMAT and then allocate your time accordingly.

fatassmcfat

HSC
Medman i answered ur other thread
Yeah I think ill try and do 6 hours UMAT a day for holz
and only 2-3 of school study
Thank u both :D

study1234

HSC
If you're serious about doing Medicine, then UMAT is definitely a priority.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
If you're serious about doing Medicine, then UMAT is definitely a priority.
Wish I saw that last year
I was serious about Med but it's just so hard to dedicate time to an exam that's almost entirely aptitude based, and knowing that you have school exams in a few weeks...

Medman

HSC
Wish I saw that last year
I was serious about Med but it's just so hard to dedicate time to an exam that's almost entirely aptitude based, and knowing that you have school exams in a few weeks...
It's not entirely aptitude based. And school exams only count 1/3 or less of the requirement to get into medicine anyway for most NSW universities. Then I hear people saying they don't want to practice for the interview which could account for up to 100% of the entrance criteria. Tbh school marks don't count that much unless you want to do something other than medicine or UNSW med.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)